I want to help a friend in need.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 12:20 PM
I want to help a friend in need.
Hey everybody.

I have a dear friend who is need of some help. Her husband recently lost his job and is having difficulty finding work because he suffers from PTSD from his time overseas. Her bills are piling up and she is trying to find a second job in the Toledo area of Ohio. I would love to give her some money, but I am low myself and she is about to lose her phone and vehicle. Is there any resources I can use to help raise some money for her so she can get back on her feet?

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2014, 01:51 PM
RE: I want to help a friend in need.
(17-07-2014 12:20 PM)etbonney Wrote:  Hey everybody.

I have a dear friend who is need of some help. Her husband recently lost his job and is having difficulty finding work because he suffers from PTSD from his time overseas. Her bills are piling up and she is trying to find a second job in the Toledo area of Ohio. I would love to give her some money, but I am low myself and she is about to lose her phone and vehicle. Is there any resources I can use to help raise some money for her so she can get back on her feet?

Thanks,

Ron

I know people who have done well using this: Teespring

Like you may want a saying about the military or veterans or PTSD on your Tee.

Then you spread the word and people sign up to buy it. If you get enough people, Teespring prints and sends out the Tees and sends you money. If you don't get enough people, nothing happens. Costs you nothing.

It's getting to be a common fund raising method since it is free.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-07-2014, 02:30 PM
(17-07-2014 01:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 12:20 PM)etbonney Wrote:  Hey everybody.

Thanks,

Ron

I know people who have done well using this: Teespring

Like you may want a saying about the military or veterans or PTSD on your Tee.

Then you spread the word and people sign up to buy it. If you get enough people, Teespring prints and sends out the Tees and sends you money. If you don't get enough people, nothing happens. Costs you nothing.

It's getting to be a common fund raising method since it is free.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It couldn't hurt and any help will do. I appreciate it.
20-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Can he not apply for a pension?
21-07-2014, 01:48 PM
(20-07-2014 08:23 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Can he not apply for a pension?

He wasn't honorably discharged, he doesn't qualify for benefits and from what I understand he's abusive and forces her to supply for the family. They don't qualify for obamacare (or can't afford it). She always is being told their poverty is her fault, both her husband and his kids steal from her and she can barely make do holding down two jobs. I want to help her, but I'm not really able too and she refuses to leave (she says she can't afford it). I don't really know how to help her.

Any advice?
21-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Invite them over for dinner a couple times a week. Company and a free meal are two of the things I appreciate most regardless of my financials.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-07-2014, 06:36 PM
(21-07-2014 05:43 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Invite them over for dinner a couple times a week. Company and a free meal are two of the things I appreciate most regardless of my financials.

I'd love to do that! I'd also love to give her a hug, help her with the lawn and her chores and offer her a ride to work. It's too bad I live a thousand miles away...

I appreciate those things as well, I just can't provide the basic human comforts during her time of need it. That bugs me so much. Sad
22-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Send her a bus ticket, offer her a place to stay, and get her the hell out of the situation. Or, send flowers to her funeral later.

Seriously, she's not in a good place and needs to Get. Out. Now. That's the best thing you can do for her.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
22-07-2014, 08:41 AM
(22-07-2014 06:26 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Send her a bus ticket, offer her a place to stay, and get her the hell out of the situation. Or, send flowers to her funeral later.

Seriously, she's not in a good place and needs to Get. Out. Now. That's the best thing you can do for her.

I had that conversation with her last night. She isn't interested in leaving. Her explanation is that she does not want to upset the environment her kids have gotten used too (they moved to northeast when they were very young) and she fears that she will somehow damage her children by removing them from their close friends and the activities they enjoy.

She only asks me for money, which I cannot provide. She is behind on bills, house payments, her car needs repairs... the list goes on and on. I told her I cannot give anything myself (I am struggling with overcoming expensive car and home repairs). She tells me she is fine and has picked up a second job, but just yesterday her first paycheck ($300 in cash) from that job got taken from her purse. I agree with you, I think she needs to pack up and leave but she seems unwilling to listen to that argument. She is looking for charity.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses. It appears as long as she wants to remain in her situation there is little I can do for her.

Ron
22-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Let me get this straight.

-She is in a relationship with an unemployed abusive guy who has kids.
-She herself has kids (biologically).
-She is behind on all bills, and the money she does earn is being taken from her without her consent.
-She is told that she needs to be the provider and it is her fault they are in this situation.

Is that right? She needs to make the choice here. The phrase "God helps those who helps themselves" would apply if it weren't completely garbage. But in all seriousness, a person that isn't willing to take the steps to fix their own life is going to be hard to help even if you were able to give them temporary assistance. IMHO that is.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.