I want to help a friend in need.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2014, 01:48 PM
RE: I want to help a friend in need.
(23-07-2014 01:06 PM)etbonney Wrote:  I suppose it probably is too late.

I just received a text from her telling me that her phone is being shut off indefinitely. I replied that I would at least keep in touch via letter and email and she told me not to bother. She has to turn off internet too and figures she'll lose the house soon enough. I can't imagine what she told her husband or how he replied, but I just tried calling her and the phone number is disconnected.

I'd hope to hear from here again, she is my best friend but she's been falling deeper and deeper into depression for the better part of a year now. She never sought help because she couldn't afford it and it sounds like she is just giving up. I should fly up to see her, I might be able to get the funds together to make a trip. It just kills me that somehow she has to endure this alone. I feel so helpless.

@Thinkerbelle: You are so correct... I would have so loved to pummel him into oblivion and pull her ass out of the fire, but somehow she always managed to quell my anger by telling me it will be ok. She always presented herself a fighter and I guess at this point, all the fight has been kicked out of her.

@Adrianime: Her family already knows the extent of the abuse she endures, her sister lives in the same town as me and that is the only family she has. She is in no better position to help than I am. She lives with a man she hates (but had a child with) so they each have messed up relationship values that stem from a broken home growing up. I read your words and they really saddened me because I can see that is how she is becoming. She used to speak with a happy voice and laugh, we used to have energetic conversations but the past few months she has lost the ability to feel or care. I'm not even sure who she is anymore emotionally. I will try to at least visit her, but I imagine I won't find the friend I remember and love so dearly.

Thank you all for all the kind words and support.

That sucks.

If you do get a chance to fly up and meet her, she probably won't be the woman you remember. On the other hand, it just might be the catalyst she needs to get out. You never know.....

Best wishes to you both.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2014, 01:50 PM
The USPS still works. I've found people enjoy receiving cards with a simple sentence or two of encouragement. For 49ยข, still a bargain.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
23-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I feel for you Ron.

No doubt you are older than myself, but still this bit of wisdom was a slight eye opener for me when I considered it: "You can't live somebody else's life for them."

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
23-07-2014, 05:03 PM
(23-07-2014 02:54 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I feel for you Ron.

No doubt you are older than myself, but still this bit of wisdom was a slight eye opener for me when I considered it: "You can't live somebody else's life for them."

That's probably the only thing I'd consider an absolute truth.