I want to kill Bambi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2011, 02:33 PM

RE: I want to kill Bambi
(18-04-2011 10:40 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Personally I use a .44 Lever-action rifle, works good, and its fun to use.

How much is a new one and a box of ammo ?

Have you ever fired a long gun before? Or any firearm?
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Not sure where you live Gag, but I'd guess you'd have to worry about having a license before you start shopping for a gun. Here in Canada you'd need an FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate). Not sure what you'd need where you live, but I'd look into it first. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I am more of a don't-hurt-nature kind of a guy, go ahead and call me a hippi, but I believe we should only destroy something in nature if we need to for survival (for example, killing a chicken to eat it)

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
19-04-2011, 03:35 PM
(18-04-2011 06:44 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I am more of a don't-hurt-nature kind of a guy, go ahead and call me a hippi, but I believe we should only destroy something in nature if we need to for survival (for example, killing a chicken to eat it)

OK let me be perfectly clear. I don't want to hunt for sport , trophies or to spite other deer just for the sake of it.
I just vented in my first post. I'm not a psycho - yet. Tongue
It just occurred to me to start asking about hunting since we were on the topic. If I hunt I'll eat what I shoot - just hope I don't shoot something gross.

Quote:Have you ever fired a long gun before? Or any firearm?
Air pressure guns mostly. Did get a passion for firearms in high-school , read plenty of specialty magazines but never joined a gun club.

Quote:Modern repeaters can range in price from just a couple hundred to thousands. It really all depends on what brand, model, caliber, and the store you buy it from.
Any brands worthwhile ? I mean as an efficient price/quality ratio.

Quote:Not sure where you live Gag, but I'd guess you'd have to worry about having a license before you start shopping for a gun.
Well , I'll have to ask. Probably a basic psych test or something. It isn't that hard but most guns available are very expensive here so I may do my hunting abroad ... that may complicate the bureaucracy significantly.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
19-04-2011, 03:43 PM
(18-04-2011 06:44 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I am more of a don't-hurt-nature kind of a guy, go ahead and call me a hippi, but I believe we should only destroy something in nature if we need to for survival (for example, killing a chicken to eat it)

Not that I don't agree with you (in fact I think you have a GREAT attitude) but hunting in nature, especially something like deer is a little tricky. People who (respectfully and responsibly) hunt, are actually filling a responsibility that we have to nature. We have destroyed so much habitat that deer would normally have, that when they multiply, it happens faster than the ecosystem can support. Further to that, we've also all but eliminated their natural predators. The result is a large population of animals that very quickly tap all the food sources available to them. After that, even the healthiest start to go hungry. The entire deer population will suffer because of what we have done. Hunters thin those populations, allowing the remaining animals to survive, and remain healthy due to the reduced competition for food.
The ideal situation would be to return that habitat to it's natural state, but that's not happening any time soon. So the hunters are actually HELPING the deer. Also, by hunting, they are finding food outside of the feedlots that are destroying both our planet, and our ability to feed ourselves. Tonight when that hunter eats a deer steak, it's one less hunk of beef that came from a feed lot.

I know it sounds complex, but really, hunters are not taking food from nature, but from a man made ecosystem that is not sustainable without either man intervening or man completely removing himself from said system.

So next time you talk to a hunter that uses his kill responsibly, thank him. He's ensuring that your grandkids will be able to see wildlife! Responsible hunters are the stewards of our few remaining natural places.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
19-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Just a quick note, theres a reason why Remington has been in business for so long, even the basic stuff they make are good quality and they aren't really expensive.
So most anything made by Remington. I've heard Ruger makes good bolt actions but I've never used one.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
21-04-2011, 02:22 PM
@Stark
Never did see it like that. That's a very decent point of view. To be honest , I completely agree with you. We have transformed all eco-systems on our planet and we have to regulate them now that we have intervened - I feel the same way about taking care of domestic animals , we created them , we have to take care of them.
You've opened my eyes on this perspective , thanks dude. Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin