I want to know more!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 07:45 AM
I want to know more!
I've been an admitted Athiest (to myself and a few close friends, but not open) for about six months now. And I have found an interesting side effect of this. I want to learn as much as I can about religion now!

As a "believer" I was pretty complacent, coasting on my laurels of being a bright Sunday school kid. Now in retrospect, I think my lack of ambition for learning the deeper things was a nagging feeling that none of it really made any sense, and that I somehow knew that it was all a joke.

But now? I am listening to Christian talk radio, apologetics, and being engaged more in church, taking lots of notes and critiquing my pastor much more.

Recently some LDS missionaries showed up on my doorstep and it also revealed something to me. They are relying on the ignorance of their doctrine while they proselytise. They came off as pretty vanilla Christian, besides the whole new prophet thing.

So I have now launched into a study of their doctrines... and I'm loving it!

Does anyone else here have a keen interest in what these religions actually believe?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes herrozerro's post
12-05-2016, 12:36 PM
RE: I want to know more!
I went through this exact same thing when I first became an atheist at 12, first I studied Christianity and read the Bible, I then learned about Hinduism and Buddhism, then I started reading about dead religions, Greek/Norse/Native American mythology, these are all very interesting subjects. I also learned a lot more about science and evolution around this time.

I did realize about the time I graduated that I didn't always know what to say when a Xian asked me why I was an atheist and I would get stumped sometimes. This really bothered me, I hated having holes in my argument so I started studying the works of atheist leaders like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. I also watched The Atheist Experience and found videos of debates on Youtube that were fascinating and each one ended with the atheist side winning.

Eventually I found myself being able to defend and clarify my thoughts and feelings on atheism much better and there wasn't one question or concern I couldn't answer confidently and I thought I had done all I could, all the research was worth it but I still loved learning more and it's a lifetime interest of mine. I've calmed down a bit but I still read a lot about it and watch videos, the more you can learn the more you will be able to reinforce your beliefs or non-beliefs, it's the exciting part of the journey. Good luck in learning more, I hope you enjoy it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
12-05-2016, 12:55 PM
You'll find many people with the same story.

When you realize that most people are living with a lie, it's hard to listen to all the bullshit that comes out.

My largest step away was when I started looking into cults. And saw there was very little diffrence between A group like Heavens Gate or a larger one like the Catholic Church.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
12-05-2016, 03:38 PM
My deconversion had the opposite effect on me. When I was a believer I was balls deep into theology to the point of memorizing entire books of the bible. I guess there was nothing really left to explore so instead I found myself drawn towards the study of science, the place that I had neglected for so long.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
12-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Yes I reckon I know more about religion now than I ever did when I had any beliefs in the sky fairy.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
12-05-2016, 03:54 PM
(12-05-2016 07:45 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  Recently some LDS missionaries showed up on my doorstep and it also revealed something to me. They are relying on the ignorance of their doctrine while they proselytise. They came off as pretty vanilla Christian, besides the whole new prophet thing.

Tell them you're Jewish. They're usually not prepared for that. Especially if you live in like Tennessee or West Virginia. -Or Kuala Lumpur.

Watch their faces go blank as they struggle to remember their training. It's good for a laugh.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
12-05-2016, 04:47 PM
As a lifelong atheist I have mostly been ignorant of religion. But once I started learning the specifics, a whole bag of "what the f, is this for real??" opened up. The absurdity of the beliefs and claims makes for entertainment in many forms (comedy, depressing documentary, analyzing human tendencies, seeing different ways different groups cope.) Learning about religion for me was like reading a fantasy book. But at some point it gets less and less interesting, and more and more depressing..or even upsetting.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Yeah, it's interesting to see how delusional people can be and just how silly their fantasies are.
13-05-2016, 08:37 AM
(12-05-2016 04:47 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  As a lifelong atheist I have mostly been ignorant of religion. But once I started learning the specifics, a whole bag of "what the f, is this for real??" opened up. The absurdity of the beliefs and claims makes for entertainment in many forms (comedy, depressing documentary, analyzing human tendencies, seeing different ways different groups cope.) Learning about religion for me was like reading a fantasy book. But at some point it gets less and less interesting, and more and more depressing..or even upsetting.

That is a good point. Even before I deconverted, I found it interesting how I could spend so much time and energy in learning about so called "fake mythologies", I could spend hours reading the lore of D&D or the lord of the rings.

Now that I'm fully deconverted, I guess I'm looking at it like a nerd knowledge contest. If I know more about their own beliefs I win.
10-07-2016, 10:31 AM
There is only one God. And He loves everyone.. the sad thing is not everyone accepts him. If you have a child, loving wife or caring person in your life.. would you disown them for your need... God just wants to love you. I urge everyone to accept Him. I invite anyone who needs prayer to ask me.. I'm here to reach out despite any opposition. Love wins all.. God bless