I want to know more!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2016, 03:56 PM
RE: I want to know more!
(12-05-2016 07:45 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  I've been an admitted Athiest (to myself and a few close friends, but not open) for about six months now. And I have found an interesting side effect of this. I want to learn as much as I can about religion now!

As a "believer" I was pretty complacent, coasting on my laurels of being a bright Sunday school kid. Now in retrospect, I think my lack of ambition for learning the deeper things was a nagging feeling that none of it really made any sense, and that I somehow knew that it was all a joke.

But now? I am listening to Christian talk radio, apologetics, and being engaged more in church, taking lots of notes and critiquing my pastor much more.

Recently some LDS missionaries showed up on my doorstep and it also revealed something to me. They are relying on the ignorance of their doctrine while they proselytise. They came off as pretty vanilla Christian, besides the whole new prophet thing.

So I have now launched into a study of their doctrines... and I'm loving it!

Does anyone else here have a keen interest in what these religions actually believe?

Yes and no, in the moment in a debate, I do look up what they are talking about, but for every religion, worldwide, Christians, and Jews and Muslims, and even Buddhists and Hindus. The arguments are always the same.

"My holy writing says, my hero says"

"My holy person says"

"We were the first to"

"We have smart scientists too"

"Look at what we invented"

"What if you are wrong"

"Science doesn't know everything"

"My religion gives me morals"

If you debate a variety of religions over time you will see the same patterns develop. Not the same details, just the same patterns.

Argument from a book to prove a book is called "circular reasoning" they all do it.

Argument from tradition, well they all have their traditions, and most humans adapt the religions of their parents to which the majority religion is of the society/family they were born into.

Argument from authority, again, all of them claim to have "authorities"

Now, when you consider that there were no written religions 200,000 years ago in our species early evolution, and you consider there were no religions 4 billion years ago, and you consider there were no religions 13.8 billion years ago, and you consider the size of the universe it it becomes obvious that "all this" was not put here for humans.

Our sun is only 1 star in the Milky Way, a galaxy so big it takes 1 ray of light 100,000 years at the speed of light to cross. One star among billions in just our galaxy. In a universe with 100s of billions of galaxies.

We know that when humans started all those religions they had no modern tools to understand what we know now. Humans simply gap filled and made very bad guesses. Back then even in polytheism, and monotheism, most humans lived under tribal kinghips and the luck of the rulers and or society was falsely attributed to the divine. Even the first Buddha mythology has him being born of royalty Queen Maya whose birth also avoids the standard birth canal.

When you hear someone talk about "the god gene" it isn't that a real god put a worship gene in humans. What that really is is a false perception in which humans project their own desires, narcissism, insecurities and fears in the form of non existent things. It is trying to humanize non human things. It is also born out of our fear of being finite, even Hindu and Buddhists concepts of past lives and reincarnation are a more watered down punish reward, heaven motif.

So basically it still amounts to humans make up all gods and all religions out of gap filling ignorance. Don't let anyone of any religion stump you. They will sometimes, but that does not mean they are right. If you do get stumped, you have lots of brains here that you can pass their argument's by.

Even when someone says "Yes, others outside my religion, people of other religions can be moral too" Well, that should tell you, and them and everyone in the world something. That says to me, that our morals as a species are not coming out of any holy book or holy writing, but that it has always been in our evolution. There is not one nation worldwide, that does not have hospitals and prisons. Babies are not born with a religion, adults teach it to them as they grow up.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
10-07-2016, 04:02 PM
It is important to read their arguments, but not as a sales pitch, because that is all religious arguments are so they can hardly be called objective or neutral. You do it to understand their sales tactics. Equally important is understanding human biology, the science behind false perceptions and the universe too.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
10-07-2016, 04:03 PM
(10-07-2016 10:31 AM)Matt Wrote:  There is only one God. And He loves everyone.. the sad thing is not everyone accepts him. If you have a child, loving wife or caring person in your life.. would you disown them for your need... God just wants to love you. I urge everyone to accept Him. I invite anyone who needs prayer to ask me.. I'm here to reach out despite any opposition. Love wins all.. God bless

Well shit. No one ever told me that before. I just didn't know, but now I do. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
10-07-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 04:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-07-2016 10:31 AM)Matt Wrote:  There is only one God. And He loves everyone.. the sad thing is not everyone accepts him.

I didn't know Thor loved me ...
http://www.thewrap.com/chris-hemsworth-m...inter-war/

If you are seriously SO deluded that you think intelligent people who seriously don't buy your garbage, just "can't accept" your deity, you're seriously out of touch, (but we get you need to tell yourself things like that to keep the cognitive dissonance at bay). And *of course* this "one god" just happens to be yours ... LOL. You know HOW MANY delusional idiots through thousands of year said exactly the same thing, and were all wrong ? You think you are special. You're not.

Jesus said "No one shall come to me unless the father draw him", so I guess you think you know mare than your Jebus-god.

As far as LDS go, they are a serious pile of laughs.
No rational person can buy this snake-oil.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-07-2016, 04:21 PM
(10-07-2016 10:31 AM)Matt Wrote:  There is only one God. And He loves everyone.. the sad thing is not everyone accepts him. If you have a child, loving wife or caring person in your life.. would you disown them for your need... God just wants to love you. I urge everyone to accept Him. I invite anyone who needs prayer to ask me.. I'm here to reach out despite any opposition. Love wins all.. God bless

I believe I can speak for almost everyone here. Show us your one God. Is that the same as the 3 in-one-God or a different one God? But show us, OK?
10-07-2016, 04:24 PM
(12-05-2016 07:45 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  I've been an admitted Athiest (to myself and a few close friends, but not open) for about six months now. And I have found an interesting side effect of this. I want to learn as much as I can about religion now!

As a "believer" I was pretty complacent, coasting on my laurels of being a bright Sunday school kid. Now in retrospect, I think my lack of ambition for learning the deeper things was a nagging feeling that none of it really made any sense, and that I somehow knew that it was all a joke.

But now? I am listening to Christian talk radio, apologetics, and being engaged more in church, taking lots of notes and critiquing my pastor much more.

Recently some LDS missionaries showed up on my doorstep and it also revealed something to me. They are relying on the ignorance of their doctrine while they proselytise. They came off as pretty vanilla Christian, besides the whole new prophet thing.

So I have now launched into a study of their doctrines... and I'm loving it!

Does anyone else here have a keen interest in what these religions actually believe?

You can't start to fix a leaking boat - till you know where the holes are.

Same goes for debunking religion.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-07-2016, 04:24 PM
I want to know why God can't reveal himself. Instead he sends random people to atheist sites on recruitment campaigns.

You would think with all the supposed power he could just snap his holy fingers and make believers of all of us.

Instead, he sends Matt. And pops. And Blowme. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
10-07-2016, 04:35 PM
(10-07-2016 04:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I want to know why God can't reveal himself. Instead he sends random people to atheist sites on recruitment campaigns.

You would think with all the supposed power he could just snap his holy fingers and make believers of all of us.

Instead, he sends Matt. And pops. And Blowme. No

Anytime you hear someone saying they're doing "God's work" -- you gotta wonder --- wtf is this slacker deity doing all day??? He's got work to do........ Are you telling me this alleged "Supreme Being" can create an entire universe -- and he can't handle his own marketing????????

Doesn't sound so "supreme" to me....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Well I studied the babble. And I read the early xians. This began after reading Voltaire and Nietzsche. I wanted to see what they were talking about.

This coincided with my study of Roman and later European history.

I have since given up religious reading but continue with history.

Oh, I am also a lifelong atheist.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-07-2016, 05:13 PM
(10-07-2016 04:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 10:31 AM)Matt Wrote:  There is only one God. And He loves everyone.. the sad thing is not everyone accepts him.

I didn't know Thor loved me ...
http://www.thewrap.com/chris-hemsworth-m...inter-war/

If you are seriously SO deluded that you think intelligent people who seriously don't buy your garbage, just "can't accept" your deity, you're seriously out of touch, (but we get you need to tell yourself things like that to keep the cognitive dissonance at bay). And *of course* this "one god" just happens to be yours ... LOL. You know HOW MANY delusional idiots through thousands of year said exactly the same thing, and were all wrong ? You think you are special. You're not.

Jesus said "No one shall come to me unless the father draw him", so I guess you think you know mare than your Jebus-god.

As far as LDS go, they are a serious pile of laughs.
No rational person can buy this snake-oil.

I got to the golden tablet part given to Smith by the angel, that was all I could take before saying "bullshit", and how convenient, he had to give the golden tablet's back to the angel after translating them so nobody else could examine them.

But I did skip forward here and there ,knowing that con artist Smith had claimed it was the lost book of Abraham. Turns out the papyrus was a prayer to a dead Egyptian priest, not Abraham.

The entire Mormon religion is based on a fraud. But, I think all religions are, not saying the followers of the founders of any were deliberately lying, but some con had to sell it to enough people for it to take off.