I want to start playing WoW again, but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I want to start playing WoW again, but...
The new expansion for World of Warcraft. It comes out in 12 days, and I've been considering reactivating my account so that I can roll a Pandaren Monk (literally). However, there are a couple of things about the game that bother me, and are making it hard for me to succumb to this urge I have to play. I want to succumb, damn it!

These are the issues:

1) Recent ad campaign with Chuck Norris. I know why Blizzard did it, but he's still an idiot who I despise. The way people glorify him gets on my nerves and I'm sure that general chat and trade chat are 1000x worse now that Blizzard have done this.

2) "Faith in the Light" - This isn't something I had thought about until recently. My problem is that they use they term "faith". The power of the Light in WoW is easily demonstrable. Paladins and priests use it all the time. It heals. It smites. It glows. It's there. There's evidence for the existence of the Light, so the term "faith" is stupid. I can't help but feel that Blizzard using "faith" like this perpetuates the idea that faith is a good reason to believe in something (and it reminds me of idiots who say that science takes as much faith to believe in as religion). Why can't they say "knowledge of the Light"? It irks me.

So those are my two dilemmas. Does anyone else have a problem with these things? Or am I being daft? If I am being daft, please let me know - I WANT TO PLAY MISTS OF PANDARIAAAAARRRRRGHFKAJFKLSJHGL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 01:37 AM
RE: I want to start playing WoW again, but...
It's a game. It bears no resemblance to reality so I would simply redefine 'faith' in my mind to mean something else in the context of the game. Then you'll be happy.

Never played wow and probably never will though.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
12-09-2012, 04:05 AM
I played WoW as a paladin, never bothered worrying about all those religious terms paladins use.
I even want to play WoW just once again just for the pandas Tongue
12-09-2012, 04:32 AM
all the religious things are great for fiction, because they're fiction. So play it like it is, a game with a story made up for your entertainment. There's no need to filter everything through reason all the time, otherwise we could never enjoy a good movie or a book.

About the Chuck Norris thingy... just try to ignore it, and it's a long dying meme so probably they're not using it a lot now Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
12-09-2012, 05:00 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DON'T DO IT!!!!

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
12-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Don't. It's a waste of time and money.

I've played WoW from December 2011 'till March 2012, got 6 characters on lvl 85, raided Dragon Souls on HC after a bunch of weeks and that was about it. Nothing to do after that other than PvP. And that sucks because legendary weapons that are restricted to two or three classes are unfair. I sold my account for ~100$ on Ebay afterwards, which basically means that I've played the game for free.

If anything, play it on a private server.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
12-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Chuck Norris doesn't call the wrong number. You answer the wrong phone.

Chuck Norris won American Idol using only sign language.

Chuck Norris died 20 years ago, Death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Jesus can walk on water, Chuck Norris can swim through land.

Chuck Norris can cut through a hot knife with butter.

Chuck Norris won the World Series of Poker using Pokemon cards.

Chuck Norris once urinated in a semi truck's gas tank as a joke....that truck is now known as Optimus Prime.

Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

Chuck Norris can light a fire by rubbing two ice-cubes together.

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

When Chuck Norris goes to job interviews, employers give him their resumés.

When Chuck Norris was born he drove his mom home from the hospital.

Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch. HE decides what time it is.

Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.

Chuck Norris sleeps with a nightlight, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of him.

When Alexander Bell invented the telephone he had 3 missed calls from Chuck Norris.

There is no Global Warming. There is only Chuck Norris working out.

Chuck Norris was born tomorrow and is gonna start living yesterday.

Chuck Norris can bowl in lane 1 and get a strike in lane 30.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
12-09-2012, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 06:05 PM by caffeinesoul.)
Quote:It bears no resemblance to reality so I would simply redefine 'faith' in my mind to mean something else in the context of the game.

I guess I can look past it if I think about faith as having a different meaning, but my pedantic mind is still putting up fights.

Quote:There's no need to filter everything through reason all the time, otherwise we could never enjoy a good movie or a book.

That's something I may need to work on.

Quote:I've played WoW from December 2011 'till March 2012, got 6 characters on lvl 85, raided Dragon Souls on HC after a bunch of weeks and that was about it. Nothing to do after that other than PvP. And that sucks because legendary weapons that are restricted to two or three classes are unfair. I sold my account for ~100$ on Ebay afterwards, which basically means that I've played the game for free.

Y'see, I'd get you if I was a PvE person, but I was a full-on PvP (and some RP early on). I played a rogue too, so I had no problem with the Legendaries. Hehehehe. MoP is looking like a more PvP-oriented expansion, what with the emphasis on the battle between the Horde and Alliance, so that's why I'm incredibly eager to check it out. Also, I've looked into private servers, they make you pay for the good gear. I prefer the subscription model to the f2p model when the f2p model makes you have to buy power to be competitive.

Oh and Logica, mmmpmphhhhhkkkrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggnnnnnnnn~*convulsions*

EDIT: Forgot to mention...

Quote: I played WoW as a paladin

/spit

Quote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DON'T DO IT!!!!

DON'T YOU TRY TO STOP ME!!

Quote:About the Chuck Norris thingy... just try to ignore it, and it's a long dying meme so probably they're not using it a lot now

On my server, people still linked [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] in trade and general chats. I'm not so optimistic about them getting over memes any time soon.
12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
(12-09-2012 05:58 PM)caffeinesoul Wrote:  
Quote:It bears no resemblance to reality so I would simply redefine 'faith' in my mind to mean something else in the context of the game.

I guess I can look past it if I think about faith as having a different meaning, but my pedantic mind is still putting up fights.

Quote:There's no need to filter everything through reason all the time, otherwise we could never enjoy a good movie or a book.

That's something I may need to work on.

Something like this could be helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
(12-09-2012 01:37 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  It's a game. It bears no resemblance to reality so I would simply redefine 'faith' in my mind to mean something else in the context of the game. Then you'll be happy.

Never played wow and probably never will though.

This. Even after I became an atheist I didn't really look at my games any different. Fantasy is still fantasy (fiction) and it's still a story. Realistically, if you want to look at it from a funny perspective, the humans are a bunch of rancid bastards who kill people mercilessly in the game if you go back and read the lore. The "ally" side is nearly as evil in many ways as the Horde. Not many are interested in the lore, but if you want to see WoW from a new perspective, go back, actually read the quests as you go along and understand the story from each race and you'll see the game in a new perspective.

Unfortunately, blizzard has rigged it as such that all you really want to do is get to 85 and go raid. So the lore has been sort of lost in translation.

Anyway, stuff like that doesn't bug me. It's just a game. Fantasy and the element of fiction in games is what makes them fun.

If it was a realistic game, it'd be a simulator of a bunch of people sitting at their computer bitching about politics and how much they hate the other side's presidential candidate, along with getting annoyed when people post stupid crap on facebook. You would then have to get up, go pay bills, do shit you don't want to and prepare for next week, then you have a weekend, you do some things that are fun. Then your parents show up to talk about how cute babies are even though you don't want them yet. Then... another week continues.

But thankfully it's a fantasy game and none of that is involved, you can escape into a world that doesn't exist, play a character that doesn't exist and be a different person, enjoy some things and escape reality for a little bit.