I want your thoughts and opinions on this video:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2013, 10:40 AM
RE: I want your thoughts and opinions on this video:
(23-09-2013 10:08 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Skipping the drama addressing the OP...

I didn't say much regarding the video because there honestly isn't much to say.

It's bad. Yup. More or less covers it.

(23-09-2013 10:08 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  The existence of the apartheid state is unmistakable at this point, the humanitarian atrocities are uncountable. Nothing good can come of a fundamentalist religious state, Palestine did exist, those people have a right to life and liberty. Israel is the infant state preying on it's neighbors to feed it's expansion.

This issue is that it isn't an "infant state". It's been there fore 65 years now. It's very hard to work out what sort of restitution might be done. "In return for forcing people out of their land, we're going to... force people out of their land!" isn't a good solution in any way. Not that I've got any great alternatives...

But for any long-term stability, there must be some Israeli drawback (incidentally, unilateral withdrawal is supported by a substantial minority of Israelis), because the remaining Palestinian territories simply aren't viable. Go back to the 49 or even 67 borders and there's room for negotiation. Possibly a two-state compromise, with some condominium and mandated cooperation. Perhaps one state, if the religious character is removed (!) - nobody would ever pretend that, say, Belgium (as a model of a mandated bi-national structure) is a particularly functional state, but they haven't been killing each other for quite a while.

Not going to happen, mind.

(23-09-2013 10:08 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  The sense of entitlement in that video makes me want to vomit, bus tours of possessed homes? These people are paying for a chance to guffaw at the suffering of others? Segregation, checkpoints, brutal beatings... Dirty AIPIAC money clouds our vision, yeah it's easy to accept the official redirect and live in blissful igorance but it ain't right.

You say that, but who's "our"? It's not the people on this forum. I know they exist, but...

(23-09-2013 10:08 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  ...and stateside I abhor those who would (and do) play the holocaust card/anti-semite card as if the atrocities of the past somehow justify the atrocities of today. If you gave a shit about about all that high minded, stuff you are preaching you would accept the truth. It is disgraceful to hide behind the suffering of your grandparents while supporting apartheid.

S'just good old cognitive dissonance (note: cognitive dissonance is not actually good. I say this explicitly lest someone utterly mischaracterize me). 'Us' punishing 'them' for past atrocities is justice; 'them' responding to 'our' atrocities with more atrocities is terrorism.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2013, 12:15 AM
I am still very new to this forum, and very new to Atheism.

Is it normal for the threads here to become so personally antagonistic?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
24-09-2013, 06:38 AM
(24-09-2013 12:15 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I am still very new to this forum, and very new to Atheism.

Is it normal for the threads here to become so personally antagonistic?

It happens when a poster is offensively stupid and/or dishonest; that gets people's hackles up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user