"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 11:36 PM
"I was a christian", theist argument.
Recently I saw this video (you can disable annotations if you wish) where there's a debate between a christian and an atheist. During this debate, the christian said that atheist where never true christians, because they really didn't had a relationship with god. Alse said that if they say they had one but later changed their minds it means that they accept god is real.

I have a problem with this argument, especially because it can also apply for any other religion. A islamist, or krishna former follower never had a relationship with their respective deities, and if they say they did then are asserting the existence of their respectives deities. And of course that doesn't proof anything.

Besides, that's their definition of christianity, you have to accept the bible in order to accept this biblical definition. But as non-believer, the bible isn't valid.

Another point, you can't compare a relationship of marriage which involves a real person to a relationship with your imaginary friend. Just because you think you're close to that entity doesn't make real.

What more can you say against this argument?

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seeking_Truth's post
06-10-2015, 11:49 PM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
I find it's a horrible use of the "No true Scott's man" fallacy.

Some one is literally saying some one else was, effectively, lying about what said other person did or did not believe.
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
07-10-2015, 01:34 AM
It's just idiotic. But that's not different from other religious arguments.

Or this nonsense is about convincing oneself. When believer see atheist then doubt may start to appear so better find some way to explain things. Not being something called true christian works I guess, same as saying that atheists are just mad at space wizard.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
07-10-2015, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 03:49 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-10-2015 01:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's just idiotic. But that's not different from other religious arguments.

Or this nonsense is about convincing oneself. When believer see atheist then doubt may start to appear so better find some way to explain things. Not being something called true christian works I guess, same as saying that atheists are just mad at space wizard.

It makes it easier to devalue another person, and likewise their opinions, by removing them from your in-group and placing them into an out-group. This goes one step further in that it is a denial of the person's former association and subsequent rejection of your current in-group; because it is far simpler and easier to dismiss their opinion outright from a position of ignorance, than to honestly evaluate their reasons for rejecting the in-group with which you are currently emotionally invested in.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2015, 03:22 AM
(06-10-2015 11:36 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  During this debate, the christian said that atheist where never true christians, because they really didn't had a relationship with god.

Circular, no true Scotsman.

(06-10-2015 11:36 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Alse said that if they say they had one but later changed their minds it means that they accept god is real.

Straw man based on equivocation between what the atheist means by "relationship with God" and what the Christian means.

It's rather pathetic, really.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
07-10-2015, 03:31 AM
I made it a whole 50 seconds. Loud obnoxious idiot. His argument is stupid. Makes me wanna punch him in the eye socket. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-10-2015, 04:31 AM
"Loud obnoxious idiot". about sums it up.

His argument is like "I used to own a ford but sold it. Therefore I never owned a ford!". Moron!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
07-10-2015, 05:09 AM
(06-10-2015 11:36 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Recently I saw this video (you can disable annotations if you wish) where there's a debate between a christian and an atheist. During this debate, the christian said that atheist where never true christians, because they really didn't had a relationship with god. Alse said that if they say they had one but later changed their minds it means that they accept god is real.

I have a problem with this argument, especially because it can also apply for any other religion. A islamist, or krishna former follower never had a relationship with their respective deities, and if they say they did then are asserting the existence of their respectives deities. And of course that doesn't proof anything.

Besides, that's their definition of christianity, you have to accept the bible in order to accept this biblical definition. But as non-believer, the bible isn't valid.

Another point, you can't compare a relationship of marriage which involves a real person to a relationship with your imaginary friend. Just because you think you're close to that entity doesn't make real.

Ugh, that's that fucker Eric Hovind, no thanks.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-10-2015, 07:43 AM
(06-10-2015 11:36 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  Recently I saw this video (you can disable annotations if you wish) where there's a debate between a christian and an atheist. During this debate, the christian said that atheist where never true christians, because they really didn't had a relationship with god. Alse said that if they say they had one but later changed their minds it means that they accept god is real.

It is fallacious. It's really not an argument, it's a defense mechanism. It's a rationaliztion. He couldn't possibly know who was a true Christian. It frightens him down deep that you don't believe. The Christian can't allow himself to doubt, so there must be something wrong with the non-believer.

My response would be: Of course I wasn't a true Christian because Christianity isn't true to begin with. And I can prove it!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 6 users Like true scotsman's post
07-10-2015, 07:51 AM
(07-10-2015 07:43 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  It is fallacious. It's really not an argument, it's a defense mechanism. It's a rationaliztion. He couldn't possibly know who was a true Christian. It frightens him down deep that you don't believe. The Christian can't allow himself to doubt, so there must be something wrong with the non-believer.

My response would be: Of course I wasn't a true Christian because Christianity isn't true to begin with. And I can prove it!

I don't think you can respond to those people. The only think I could do is to walk away. Undecided

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post