"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
Come on Bearded dude.

Did your in-laws touch you. Is that why you hate Theist?

What are your crimes?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
09-10-2015, 12:48 PM
(08-10-2015 10:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why do you want to distill it into one category or the other? Why is my empathy for humanity as a whole uncoupled from empathy for myself and my loved ones? Why uncouple my observations of humanity from my personal interactions with those that occupy it?

I began to despise religion because of what it had done to humanity wholesale (9/11, the crusades, the dark ages, Bosnia, Kony, anti-LGBTQ legislation, slavery, etc, etc, ad nauseam) and because of my personal interactions with the way in which some theists wield their religion.

It’s not a matter of uncoupling, but a matter of primacy, as to which factor likely contributes more to your hatred towards religion than the other. Your immediate relationships and experiences are the significant contributor here, as opposed your non-immediate ones. It’s a matter of degree. While Kony and Bosnia, and anti-LGBTQ legislation may all contribute to your resentment towards religion, they don’t contribute to it remotely to the same degree as your immediate interactions with the religious people in your personal life. This is as much true for you, as it as for anyone else including myself.

If those immediate relationships were different, of a positive, and good natured sort with your in laws, than you attitude towards religion would likely be drastically different, significantly less resentful, even though Kony, and Bosnia, and 9/11 would still have been around. There are all sorts of atheists, some who might have a positive view of religion, some who might be apathetic about it, and others who might be classified as anti-theist, but the factor that distinguishes these individuals is likely not to be degrees of empathy. If I wanted to produce someone with as much hatred and resentment towards religion as you do, providing him a variety of news articles and videos of the harm inflicted on other by religious folks, likely won’t do the trick. Give him a set of dick head religious in-laws, and I would probably be successful.

In a way that hatred you have for any random theists that pop in here and there, is just a proxy, for those immediate types you hate. It amounts to a seemingly harmless scapegoating. A means for you to take out your frustrations regarding them, on some random theist on the internet. While you might want to believe that these resentments are separate, they’re not, because that’s not the way our volatile emotions work. You may not want them to work this way, but you have no control over them, they have control over you, just like everyone else. When you try to suggest that you’ve transcended these inflictions of being human, you’re just talking about magic.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-10-2015, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 03:02 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
(09-10-2015 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 10:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why do you want to distill it into one category or the other? Why is my empathy for humanity as a whole uncoupled from empathy for myself and my loved ones? Why uncouple my observations of humanity from my personal interactions with those that occupy it?

I began to despise religion because of what it had done to humanity wholesale (9/11, the crusades, the dark ages, Bosnia, Kony, anti-LGBTQ legislation, slavery, etc, etc, ad nauseam) and because of my personal interactions with the way in which some theists wield their religion.

It’s not a matter of uncoupling, but a matter of primacy, as to which factor likely contributes more to your hatred towards religion than the other. Your immediate relationships and experiences are the significant contributor here, as opposed your non-immediate ones. It’s a matter of degree. While Kony and Bosnia, and anti-LGBTQ legislation may all contribute to your resentment towards religion, they don’t contribute to it remotely to the same degree as your immediate interactions with the religious people in your personal life. This is as much true for you, as it as for anyone else including myself.

If those immediate relationships were different, of a positive, and good natured sort with your in laws, than you attitude towards religion would likely be drastically different, significantly less resentful, even though Kony, and Bosnia, and 9/11 would still have been around. There are all sorts of atheists, some who might have a positive view of religion, some who might be apathetic about it, and others who might be classified as anti-theist, but the factor that distinguishes these individuals is likely not to be degrees of empathy. If I wanted to produce someone with as much hatred and resentment towards religion as you do, providing him a variety of news articles and videos of the harm inflicted on other by religious folks, likely won’t do the trick. Give him a set of dick head religious in-laws, and I would probably be successful.

In a way that hatred you have for any random theists that pop in here and there, is just a proxy, for those immediate types you hate. It amounts to a seemingly harmless scapegoating. A means for you to take out your frustrations regarding them, on some random theist on the internet. While you might want to believe that these resentments are separate, they’re not, because that’s not the way our volatile emotions work. You may not want them to work this way, but you have no control over them, they have control over you, just like everyone else. When you try to suggest that you’ve transcended these inflictions of being human, you’re just talking about magic.

"It’s not a matter of uncoupling, but a matter of primacy, as to which factor likely contributes more to your hatred towards religion than the other. Your immediate relationships and experiences are the significant contributor here, as opposed your non-immediate ones. It’s a matter of degree. While Kony and Bosnia, and anti-LGBTQ legislation may all contribute to your resentment towards religion, they don’t contribute to it remotely to the same degree as your immediate interactions with the religious people in your personal life. This is as much true for you, as it as for anyone else including myself. "

Bullshit. You assume that because your influences have a certain ordering in terms of importance, that is some sort of universal truth. It isn't. Stop assuming you know my psyche.

"If those immediate relationships were different, of a positive, and good natured sort with your in laws, than you attitude towards religion would likely be drastically different, significantly less resentful, even though Kony, and Bosnia, and 9/11 would still have been around. "

No, they wouldn't be different. My resentment of religion and hatred toward it preceded my dislike of my in-laws. Your amateur shrinking isn't going well Drinking Beverage

"There are all sorts of atheists, some who might have a positive view of religion, some who might be apathetic about it, and others who might be classified as anti-theist, but the factor that distinguishes these individuals is likely not to be degrees of empathy. "

Irrelevant. Your attempting to place people in boxes and when it comes to atheists, there is no box to place us.

"If I wanted to produce someone with as much hatred and resentment towards religion as you do, providing him a variety of news articles and videos of the harm inflicted on other by religious folks, likely won’t do the trick. Give him a set of dick head religious in-laws, and I would probably be successful. "

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

"In a way that hatred you have for any random theists that pop in here and there, is just a proxy, for those immediate types you hate. "

There you go again, playing shrink.

"It amounts to a seemingly harmless scapegoating. A means for you to take out your frustrations regarding them, on some random theist on the internet. While you might want to believe that these resentments are separate, they’re not, because that’s not the way our volatile emotions work. You may not want them to work this way, but you have no control over them, they have control over you, just like everyone else. When you try to suggest that you’ve transcended these inflictions of being human, you’re just talking about magic."

Do you understand why I am on an ATHEIST site? It is because I identify with this site in terms of my religious opinion. If I wanted to target theistic bullshit, I'd go to a theist forum. Which is why you are here. You think you are combating atheism and atheists. You aren't, you're just trolling at this point and you certainly aren't here to learn. You are here to assume you know us and what we believe and why. That is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR THROUGH THIS EXCHANGE IN PARTICULAR. Careful there Tomasia, your lying is showing. Drinking Beverage

Also, it's funny to hear a theist charge an atheist with magical thinking. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
09-10-2015, 01:29 PM
(09-10-2015 11:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 08:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I agree there are many people in denial... you just need to demonstrate a manner of how to consistently show what constitutes denial.

How about thousands of posts from dozens of TTA members where they attack and mock whatever theists say without bothering to weigh their arguments, visit peer-reviewed citations or fact check? Does that seem evidential to you?

To be fair, we have a growing list of theist types who we don't mock.

If your in the group who is mocked or ridiculed, perhaps you should look within yourself as to why that is.

Have a nice day.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2015, 01:53 PM
(09-10-2015 01:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Bullshit. You assume that because your influences have a certain ordering in terms of importance, that is some sort of universal truth. It isn't. Stop assuming you know my psyche.

Assuming you’re not some alien, and didn't spring from an some distinct evolutionary lineage than the rest of humanity, than your psyche follows the same pattern’s as everybody else’s. And it’s not a matter of what you think is more important. You might think that the harm done by religion to other people is far more important, and worse than your own experiences with it. But as to what contributes more to how you feel, it’s the other way around, regardless if you think one is more important than the other.

Quote:Irrelevant. Your attempting to place people in boxes and when it comes to atheists, there is no box to place us.

There’s only one atheists here in question, and that’s you. What might be true for you, might not be true for someone else here, especially for those who don’t share your level of resentment.

Quote:
Quote:”If I wanted to produce someone with as much hatred and resentment towards religion as you do, providing him a variety of news articles and videos of the harm inflicted on other by religious folks, likely won’t do the trick. Give him a set of dick head religious in-laws, and I would probably be successful. “

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

It’s entirely predictable attitudes. Take an atheists whose immediate relationships with religious folks is entirely positive, and good natured, and you’d have a hard time turning him into an anti-theists. Take one that’s has quite negative experiences, and you have a recruit in waiting.

Quote:Do you understand why I am on an ATHEIST site? It is because I identify with this site in terms of my religious opinion. If I wanted to target theistic bullshit, I'd go to a theist forum.

I know you’re not here to target theists. In fact you’d probably prefer that theists just left you alone, not just here, but in your personal life as well. You don’t want to target your in-laws either, you just want them to quit targeting you.

This place is your way of having a community to identify with, folks who share with you who you are, whose lives and experiences mirror you own, whose struggles you're familiar with yourself. A place to be accepted, as opposed to being scorned. It’s to help satisfying that desire for belonging.

Quote:Which is why you are here. You think you are combating atheism and atheists.

I think you’re projecting your in-laws on to me. I don’t see myself as combating atheism of atheists, or in any sort of fight with them either. Where as you might see yourself in some war against religion, I don’t see myself fighting the same war for the other side. I’m not angered or bothered by atheism, I don’t hate or dislike atheists, some personalities might annoy me, but I don’t particularly hate them though. If I had some dick head atheists in-laws that might be different, but I don’t.

This is perhaps the closest I get to any contemptuous relationship with anyone, and it doesn’t amount to much at all, though it does spike my curiosity. Even here beyond a handful of folks, my relationship are still relatively positive here as well, but everyone is different, they all have their own stories to tell, and I like hearing them. Even if that means I have to plod, and be intrusive to hear it. But you're frame to understand me is always going to be faulty, because for you either theists are the non-intrusive types like your parents, or they're your in-laws.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I do have a question though, are your parents conservative evangelicals still? Are they the type that sympathize with Kim Davis? Pro-life, and opposed to the legalization of gay marriage? If they are, and haven't strayed far from their southern baptist roots, you don't seem to hate them for it right?

09-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(09-10-2015 01:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 01:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Bullshit. You assume that because your influences have a certain ordering in terms of importance, that is some sort of universal truth. It isn't. Stop assuming you know my psyche.

Assuming you’re not some alien, and didn't spring from an some distinct evolutionary lineage than the rest of humanity, than your psyche follows the same pattern’s as everybody else’s. And it’s not a matter of what you think is more important. You might think that the harm done by religion to other people is far more important, and worse than your own experiences with it. But as to what contributes more to how you feel, it’s the other way around, regardless if you think one is more important than the other.

Quote:Irrelevant. Your attempting to place people in boxes and when it comes to atheists, there is no box to place us.

There’s only one atheists here in question, and that’s you. What might be true for you, might not be true for someone else here, especially for those who don’t share your level of resentment.

Quote:You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

It’s entirely predictable attitudes. Take an atheists whose immediate relationships with religious folks is entirely positive, and good natured, and you’d have a hard time turning him into an anti-theists. Take one that’s has quite negative experiences, and you have a recruit in waiting.

Quote:Do you understand why I am on an ATHEIST site? It is because I identify with this site in terms of my religious opinion. If I wanted to target theistic bullshit, I'd go to a theist forum.

I know you’re not here to target theists. In fact you’d probably prefer that theists just left you alone, not just here, but in your personal life as well. You don’t want to target your in-laws either, you just want them to quit targeting you.

This place is your way of having a community to identify with, folks who share with you who you are, whose lives and experiences mirror you own, whose struggles you're familiar with yourself. A place to be accepted, as opposed to being scorned. It’s to help satisfying that desire for belonging.

Quote:Which is why you are here. You think you are combating atheism and atheists.

I think you’re projecting your in-laws on to me. I don’t see myself as combating atheism of atheists, or in any sort of fight with them either. Where as you might see yourself in some war against religion, I don’t see myself fighting the same war for the other side. I’m not angered or bothered by atheism, I don’t hate or dislike atheists, some personalities might annoy me, but I don’t particularly hate them though. If I had some dick head atheists in-laws that might be different, but I don’t.

This is perhaps the closest I get to any contemptuous relationship with anyone, and it doesn’t amount to much at all, though it does spike my curiosity. Even here beyond a handful of folks, my relationship are still relatively positive here as well, but everyone is different, they all have their own stories to tell, and I like hearing them. Even if that means I have to plod, and be intrusive to hear it. But you're frame to understand me is always going to be faulty, because for you either theists are the non-intrusive types like your parents, or they're your in-laws.

You really do fancy yourself a psychologist, don't you?

Let me be very clear, your analysis is baseless. Your presumptions are asinine, and arrogant. If it makes you feel better, keep trying and keep judging. Quite frankly me dear, I don't give a damn.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-10-2015, 03:01 PM
(09-10-2015 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I do have a question though, are your parents conservative evangelicals still? Are they the type that sympathize with Kim Davis? Pro-life, and opposed to the legalization of gay marriage? If they are, and haven't strayed far from their southern baptist roots, you don't seem to hate them for it right?

I never said they were evangelical conservatives. More assumptions on your part, and you're of course, incorrect.

-Rick
09-10-2015, 03:20 PM
(09-10-2015 03:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I do have a question though, are your parents conservative evangelicals still? Are they the type that sympathize with Kim Davis? Pro-life, and opposed to the legalization of gay marriage? If they are, and haven't strayed far from their southern baptist roots, you don't seem to hate them for it right?

I never said they were evangelical conservatives. More assumptions on your part, and you're of course, incorrect.

Sorry I assumed that based on your history in the southern baptist denomination. I assumed you parents were a part of the church you went to? If not do your parents go to church? If so what denomination are they a part of? Do they lean more towards the conservative side? Oppose abortion? Believe homosexuality is immoral?

09-10-2015, 03:25 PM
(09-10-2015 03:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 03:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I never said they were evangelical conservatives. More assumptions on your part, and you're of course, incorrect.

Sorry I assumed that based on your history in the southern baptist denomination. I assumed you parents were a part of the church you went to? If not do your parents go to church? If so what denomination are they a part of? Do they lean more towards the conservative side? Oppose abortion? Believe homosexuality is immoral?

Why? What's your agenda? More attempts to draw some arbitrary correlation based on further arrogant presumptions?

-Rick