"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 09:39 AM
(11-10-2015 09:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 09:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Except you don't revise your ignorance when confronted with it.

And no, I didn't explicitly answer those questions, because I don't have explicit answer for you. I've already told you that our views are not incongruent (mine and my parents).

You mean you don't know if they believe homosexuality or abortion is immoral?

Far as I know you don't think they're immoral, is this to say your parent's don't either?

Are they members of a Southern Baptist Denomination?

I mean their political views don't infringe upon mine or others. The specifics are unknown to me as politics and religion and don't define my relationship with them.

As far as I know, they've never been southern baptist in any strict sense or if they ever even identified that way to begin with. (I never told you I went to church with or because of my parents)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 09:40 AM
This is why it is asinine for you to try and draw the ignorant conclusions from the idiotic assumptions you make. People don't fit into the straw men you've created.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-10-2015, 09:46 AM
What is it exactly you think you're doing on this thread by making assumptions about my life, my atheism, my parents, and my in-laws?

Because it sure as hell isn't to learn like you've claimed in the past, because you're not trying to learn, you're trying assume and judge and presume and play shrink.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-10-2015, 09:57 AM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(11-10-2015 09:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 09:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You mean you don't know if they believe homosexuality or abortion is immoral?

Far as I know you don't think they're immoral, is this to say your parent's don't either?

Are they members of a Southern Baptist Denomination?

I mean their political views don't infringe upon mine or others. The specifics are unknown to me as politics and religion and don't define my relationship with them.

As far as I know, they've never been southern baptist in any strict sense or if they ever even identified that way to begin with. (I never told you I went to church with or because of my parents)

So while you attended a southern baptist church when you where younger, it wasn't because you parents dragged you there, or were parishioners of that church?

Do your parents typically avoid going to church? If not, do you know what denomination they're a part of? Is it a conservative evangelical one at least?

Do they hold some set of undefined religious beliefs? Earlier you stated you hated their religious beliefs, what beliefs of their's do you hate? If it's not their stances on any of these particular issues.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 10:22 AM by Tomasia.)
(11-10-2015 09:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What is it exactly you think you're doing on this thread by making assumptions about my life, my atheism, my parents, and my in-laws?

I'm just sort of curious for the moment. If your parents weren't all that religious, didn't drag you to church when you were younger, but it was something you voluntarily participated on your own, perhaps because of friends or so encouraging you to attend church with them, that would all be interesting. If this was the case, than I'd wonder why religion appealed to you in the first place? I want to know that story, because it would be a different one that I'm used to hearing. And bit different than my religious upbringing.

It's the story here that tells what led you to believe the things you do, what led you to reject the things you once did, and why you resent your christian in-laws, and certain types of believers, but not others like your parents. There's some mystery here too of course, you have what appears to be an amiable relationship with your parents, and you don't see them holding political stances on some hot button topics incongruent with your own, yet you still hate their religious beliefs. Though I'm at a loss to guess what those religious beliefs you hate of their's are? Or even why you particularly hated these beliefs?

I also don't understand why you seem to want to hold your cards close to you in regards to them, I'm at a loss to explain that as well, because I don't think I'm asking anything too personal.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 10:15 AM
(11-10-2015 10:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 09:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What is it exactly you think you're doing on this thread by making assumptions about my life, my atheism, my parents, and my in-laws?

I'm just sort of curious for the moment. If your parents weren't all that religious, didn't drag you to church when you were younger, but it was something you voluntarily participated on your own, perhaps because of friends or so encouraging you to attend church with them, that would all be interesting. If this was the case, than I'd wonder why religion appealed to you in the first place? I want to know that story, because it would be a different one that I'm used to hearing.

You're only curious in constructing straw men based on what I actually say. You presume and assume, but don't listen.

And you continue to lie about your intent. Typical dishonest and judgmental theists. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
11-10-2015, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 10:36 AM by Tomasia.)
(11-10-2015 10:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 10:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm just sort of curious for the moment. If your parents weren't all that religious, didn't drag you to church when you were younger, but it was something you voluntarily participated on your own, perhaps because of friends or so encouraging you to attend church with them, that would all be interesting. If this was the case, than I'd wonder why religion appealed to you in the first place? I want to know that story, because it would be a different one that I'm used to hearing.

You're only curious in constructing straw men based on what I actually say. You presume and assume, but don't listen.

And you continue to lie about your intent. Typical dishonest and judgmental theists. Drinking Beverage

I have been listening, while I might have made some incorrect assumptions, which I might have thought were reasonable at the time, but I don't think any of them were particularly offensive, or judgmental as your put it.

I really would like to know how you ended up in a Soutern Baptist church when you were younger, if it wasn't the same as it was for me, and most people, because our parents dragged us. And what sort of religious background if any where you raised in by your parents, and what particular parts of their religious beliefs do you hate, etc...?

11-10-2015, 10:40 AM
(11-10-2015 10:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 10:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're only curious in constructing straw men based on what I actually say. You presume and assume, but don't listen.

I have been listening, while I might have made some incorrect assumptions, which I might have thought were reasonable at the time, but I don't think any of them were particularly offensive, or judgmental as your put it.

I really would like to know how you ended up in a Soutern Baptist church when you were younger, if it wasn't the same as it was for me, and most people, because our parents dragged us. And what sort of religious background if any where you raised in by your parents, and what particular parts of their religious beliefs do you hate, etc...?

You've made only incorrect assumptions that you've tried to psychoanalyze.

I don't believe you really want to know. I believe you want to continue to presume, assume, and play shrink.

Here, I'll reiterate the important bit for you. I had a feeling as I matured that the bible was bullshit. So, I thought long and hard about it and other religions and realized they are all bullshit. I escaped the brain washing of religion, by not letting religion dictate my life and by not letting it have an undue amount of respect that causes people to never question it.

-Rick
11-10-2015, 10:57 AM
(11-10-2015 09:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 08:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  You are still not seeing it. The difference is the existence of evidence.

Evolution: lots of evidence that one would have to ignore.

Existence of Jesus: only hearsay, no actual evidence.

Skepticism is about evaluating evidence.

And pretty much any person who rejects evolution will claim, there's no actual evidence for it, that it's all just circumstantial, etc....They'd say something along the lines of actual evidence would be observing billions of years of evolution occurring first hand, etc.... Then you'd say no that's not what "actual evidence" would require, etc....

None of it actually means anything, and the only thing being communicated, is some entirely subjective threshold in what it would require Chas or Ken Ham, or Stevil, to believe something. Those things your refer to as hearsay, are things others refer to as actual evidence. Evidence is anything a person uses in support of any particular view or position they hold as true. And that definition is consistent with with anyones appeal to it, and doesn't require the magical lines in the sand that others resort to.

Demonstrating, yet again, that you do not understand what constitutes evidence. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-10-2015, 11:01 AM
(11-10-2015 10:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You've made only incorrect assumptions that you've tried to psychoanalyze.

I don't believe you really want to know. I believe you want to continue to presume, assume, and play shrink.

Here, I'll reiterate the important bit for you. I had a feeling as I matured that the bible was bullshit. So, I thought long and hard about it and other religions and realized they are all bullshit. I escaped the brain washing of religion, by not letting religion dictate my life and by not letting it have an undue amount of respect that causes people to never question it.

I think you mean an undue amount of FEAR. Yes

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post