"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 11:03 AM
(11-10-2015 11:01 AM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 10:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You've made only incorrect assumptions that you've tried to psychoanalyze.

I don't believe you really want to know. I believe you want to continue to presume, assume, and play shrink.

Here, I'll reiterate the important bit for you. I had a feeling as I matured that the bible was bullshit. So, I thought long and hard about it and other religions and realized they are all bullshit. I escaped the brain washing of religion, by not letting religion dictate my life and by not letting it have an undue amount of respect that causes people to never question it.

I think you mean an undue amount of FEAR. Yes

People consider it to be respect but yes, it is a sort of fear to not allow one's self to question something.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 11:04 AM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(11-10-2015 10:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Here, I'll reiterate the important bit for you. I had a feeling as I matured that the bible was bullshit. So, I thought long and hard about it and other religions and realized they are all bullshit. I escaped the brain washing of religion, by not letting religion dictate my life and by not letting it have an undue amount of respect that causes people to never question it.

That part I get, though I'm curious as to how you got sucked into being brainwashed in the first place? If it wasn't your parents dragging you to church?

And it's the attitude, the hatred and resentment you have towards certain religious beliefs, I'm wondering about. While I can understand why your hate the intrusive religious types like your in-laws, I don't understand why you hate your parents religious beliefs, particularly when you don't see your parents as the intrusive type? I'm not even sure what beliefs of theirs you hate.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 11:12 AM
(11-10-2015 10:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Demonstrating, yet again, that you do not understand what constitutes evidence. Drinking Beverage

You're just gonna tell me what constitutes as evidence to you, and I'm just going tell you what constitutes as evidence for me.

I'm gonna appeal to how it's used in everyday language, in it's colloquial sense, but perhaps you'll appeal to some governing authority?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 11:14 AM
(11-10-2015 11:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 10:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Here, I'll reiterate the important bit for you. I had a feeling as I matured that the bible was bullshit. So, I thought long and hard about it and other religions and realized they are all bullshit. I escaped the brain washing of religion, by not letting religion dictate my life and by not letting it have an undue amount of respect that causes people to never question it.

That part I get, though I'm curious as to how you got sucked into being brainwashed in the first place? If it wasn't your parents dragging you to church?

And it's the attitude, the hatred and resentment you have towards certain religious beliefs, I'm wondering about. While I can understand why your hate the intrusive religious types like your in-laws, I don't understand why you hate you own parents religious belief, particularly when you don't see you parents as the intrusive type? I'm not even sure what beliefs of theirs you hate.

Fuck you're dense. I said they weren't southern baptist, I didn't say they didn't identify as Christian. I didn't say I wasn't raised "Christian" before going to church. I went to church because I wanted to. Because I thought it was important. Because I believed enough to think it was the correct thing to do. I had a mind of my own to make those decisions and my parents were okay with my decision. They were also okay with my decision to stop going, because our relationship was never defined by religion. (That's not to say that my mother took it well to learn I was atheist, but she has since come to accept it)

I hate irrational beliefs. I hate superstition. I hate praying for something instead of doing something. But I don't care about any of it as long as people don't push it on me, and my parents don't push anything on me or my family, and that includes their politics (they also don't presume to know me better than I do and try and psychoanalyze me).

I respect the boundaries people want respected, as long as they respect them too. I don't push my views on my parents, and they don't push theirs on me. You don't respect boundaries, just like most theists. You presume to have an insight into the world and into people that is plausible and of value. But you don't. You have presumptions, straw men, and an arrogance generated from a vast ignorance.

-Rick
11-10-2015, 11:17 AM
(11-10-2015 11:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 10:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Demonstrating, yet again, that you do not understand what constitutes evidence. Drinking Beverage

You're just gonna tell me what constitutes as evidence to you, and I'm just going tell you what constitutes as evidence for me.

I'm gonna appeal to how it's used in everyday language, in it's colloquial sense, but perhaps you'll appeal to some governing authority?

Anecdotes and hearsay aren't evidence. They are (at best) opinions. The fact that some people use these (in a colloquial sense) as evidence, is irrelevant. Because people use horoscopes as evidence too. People use anecdotes as evidence of vaccines causing autism or GMO crops causing cancer or homeopathic medicine being medicine.

You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. And the fact of the matter is that your Jesus has as much evidence for being real as homeopathic medicine does for being medicine.

-Rick
11-10-2015, 11:31 AM
(11-10-2015 11:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Anecdotes and hearsay aren't evidence. They are (at best) opinions.

No, if I wanna use it in support of any particular view, or claim, it's evidence. Whether you like it or not. Evidence acquires it's meaning from it's utility.

Writing of Jewish and Roman historians are evidence for events and persons existing at the period, even when they are not acquired by first hand knowledge by these writers. That doesn't change when dealing with Christian writers either.

If we were trying to create a picture of how Christianity arose, the beliefs of early Christians etc...the NT writings would all be used as evidence in support of the events that transpired in that period. Only a moron would think otherwise.

11-10-2015, 11:35 AM
(11-10-2015 11:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 11:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Anecdotes and hearsay aren't evidence. They are (at best) opinions.

No, if I wanna use it in support of any particular view, or claim, it's evidence. Whether you like it or not. Evidence acquires it's meaning from it's utility.

Writing of Jewish and Roman historians are evidence for events and persons existing at the period, even when they are not acquired by first hand knowledge by these writers. That doesn't change when dealing with Christian writers either.

If we were trying to create a picture of how Christianity arose, the beliefs of early Christians etc...the NT writings would all be used as evidence in support of the events that transpired in that period. Only a moron would think otherwise.

Only a moron would think hearsay is evidence.

I hear that Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim. That must be evidence he really is!!!!

-Rick
11-10-2015, 11:38 AM
(11-10-2015 11:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Only a moron would think hearsay is evidence.

I hear that Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim. That must be evidence he really is!!!!

It's evidence that you think he is right?

It's evidence that some people in this period of history thought Obama is a Kenyan-Born Muslim.

Now what are you going to say, it can be used as evidence one way, but not another way?

11-10-2015, 11:38 AM
(11-10-2015 11:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I see, so your definition for evidence is "whatever happens to support the conclusion"? or do you have any stricter rules for what can be considered evidence in any given case as per you?

I am just curious Angel

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post
11-10-2015, 11:40 AM
(11-10-2015 11:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I am going to point out the accepted scientific requirements for evidence which you repeatedly ignore.

I don't give a flying fuck what your personal definition is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post