"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 12:09 PM
(11-10-2015 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 11:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why is it you theists always need a governing body, an absolute authority? Consider

The standards for evidence are a consensus.

Consensus among who?

Is there a consensus view among these distinct branches? Does the Historian and the Biologist work together to form a consensus view on what evidence is? Or do they likely have distinct meanings associated with their particular professional endeavors?

They both posses dictionaries that would allow them to use language in the same way so that what qualifies as evidence in one discipline, would qualify as evidence in any other.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
C'mon tomasia, stop avoiding the question, what is your definition of evidence?

[Image: 004.sig]
11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Is there historical evidence people believed the earth was flat? Yes, both scientists and historians can agree that there exists evidence to support the conclusion that some humans once believed in a flat earth. Does that provide any validity to the belief itself? In your example (Jesus) you say yes, but in reality there exists no evidence to substantiate that opinion/claim.

-Rick
11-10-2015, 12:14 PM
(11-10-2015 12:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Shifting the goal posts again (evidence of an opinion vs evidence for an opinion) and a straw man. No one has claimed that there aren't people stupid enough to believe in a literal Jesus. But people believing it, isn't evidence it's a true opinion.

It's a fact that every writing we have during that period, about Jesus, whether Jewish, Christian, or Roman, believed or suggested he was a historical person

Now you can say that even so, this is not evidence that Jesus was a historical person, but just a belief that he was. But is it evidence that there was a conspiracy among early Christians to create a messiah out of whole cloth, and pass him off as historical?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 12:15 PM
another fucking double post

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
11-10-2015, 12:15 PM
(11-10-2015 12:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Shifting the goal posts again (evidence of an opinion vs evidence for an opinion) and a straw man. No one has claimed that there aren't people stupid enough to believe in a literal Jesus. But people believing it, isn't evidence it's a true opinion.

I like TommyBoy but he often seems like this:

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
11-10-2015, 12:17 PM
(11-10-2015 12:11 PM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  C'mon tomasia, stop avoiding the question, what is your definition of evidence?

I did earlier, but I'll do so again:

"Evidence is anything a person uses in support of any particular view or position they hold as true. And that definition is consistent with with anyones appeal to it, and doesn't require the magical lines in the sand that others resort to."

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
(11-10-2015 12:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

It's a fact that every writing we have during that period, about Jesus, whether Jewish, Christian, or Roman, believed or suggested he was a historical person

Now you can say that even so, this is not evidence that Jesus was a historical person, but just a belief that he was. But is it evidence that there was a conspiracy among early Christians to create a messiah out of whole cloth, and pass him off as historical?

And people believed the earth was flat. Who gives a fuck what ignorant humans believe?

-Rick
11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
(11-10-2015 12:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 12:11 PM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  C'mon tomasia, stop avoiding the question, what is your definition of evidence?

"Evidence is anything a person uses in support of any particular view or position they hold as true. And that definition is consistent with with anyones appeal to it, and doesn't require the magical lines in the sand that others resort to."

Conflating evidence with opinion. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
11-10-2015, 12:28 PM
(11-10-2015 12:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Confused Wow that's deep

I'll leave the magical part alone, but could you please explain what you mean by the bolded bit above?

[Image: 004.sig]