"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(11-10-2015 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Those writings were not contemporaneous. They are writings from after the time alleged events.

Josephus wasn't even born at the alleged time of the alleged crucifiction.

Paul writing of meeting James, Jesus's brother, as well as his disciples is contemporaneous. And I'm writing of Josephus mentioning James death not Jesus's.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 01:00 PM
(11-10-2015 12:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The dishonesty among your type, ...

You know what the problem is with you people ...

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-10-2015, 01:03 PM
(11-10-2015 01:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 12:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The dishonesty among your type, ...

You know what the problem is with you people ...

Y'all mother fuckers need jesus

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-10-2015, 01:05 PM
(11-10-2015 12:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Historical evidence consists of artifacts and documents that support each other, along with physical evidence from science like ash layers from volcanoes or fires.

http://www.historicalskills.com/Evidence/definition.htm

So what are you trying to say here than?

Science deal with physical evidence exclusively?

History deals with both physical evidence, along with artifacts and documents that support each other?

Source criticism is a historical endeavor, but not a scientific one?

Reasonable conclusions can be drawn from source criticism, but those reasonable conclusions would not be based on scientific evidence, it would based on historical evidence? While one category of evidence wouldn't apply, the other would?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-10-2015, 01:05 PM
The whole point of evidence is to be scrutinized by others in order to validate the claims of the claimant. If the evidence only satisfies the claimant then it has no meaning.

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post
11-10-2015, 01:08 PM
(11-10-2015 01:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Those writings were not contemporaneous. They are writings from after the time alleged events.

Josephus wasn't even born at the alleged time of the alleged crucifiction.

Paul writing of meeting James, Jesus's brother, as well as his disciples is contemporaneous. And I'm writing of Josephus mentioning James death not Jesus's.

James is assumed to be Jesus' brother. We only have Paul's word on that.

And this is still not evidence of the historicity of Jesus as it is uncorroborated. Josephus' writings are hearsay on this subject.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-10-2015, 01:13 PM
(11-10-2015 01:05 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 12:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Historical evidence consists of artifacts and documents that support each other, along with physical evidence from science like ash layers from volcanoes or fires.

http://www.historicalskills.com/Evidence/definition.htm

So what are you trying to say here than?

Science deal with physical evidence exclusively?

History deals with both physical evidence, along with artifacts and documents that support each other?

Source criticism is a historical endeavor, but not a scientific one?

Source criticism is not really a thing in science. It is not evidence, it is opinion

Quote:Reasonable conclusions can be drawn from source criticism, but those reasonable conclusions would not be based on scientific evidence, it would based on historical evidence? While one category of evidence wouldn't apply, the other would?

Do you know what source criticism is? It is "the analysis and study of the sources used by biblical authors".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-10-2015, 01:14 PM
(11-10-2015 01:05 PM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  The whole point of evidence is to be scrutinized by others in order to validate the claims of the claimant. If the evidence only satisfies the claimant then it has no meaning.

Do you desire that I scrutinize and validate your claims? You probably don't give a shit. In fact people here don't seem particularly enthralled when you scrutinize their claims, they prefer you high five them instead, just like everybody else. Trust me, you make very few friends by scrutinizing their beliefs.

11-10-2015, 01:20 PM
(11-10-2015 01:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 01:05 PM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  The whole point of evidence is to be scrutinized by others in order to validate the claims of the claimant. If the evidence only satisfies the claimant then it has no meaning.

Do you desire that I scrutinize and validate your claims? You probably don't give a shit. In fact people here don't seem particularly enthralled when you scrutinize their claims, they prefer you high five them instead, just like everybody else. Trust me, you make very few friends by scrutinizing their beliefs.
Seeking truth and making friends are two different things.

And yes I do prefer people who can actually scrutinize my views and provide constructive criticisms.

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post
11-10-2015, 01:34 PM
(11-10-2015 01:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Source criticism is not really a thing in science. It is not evidence, it is opinion

Ah yes, according to Chas since it's not a thing in sciences, like biology, and physics, it's an opinion. You're just making this shit up as you go along, and it's rather transparent.

Quote:Do you know what source criticism is? It is "the analysis and study of the sources used by biblical authors".

"Source criticism (or information evaluation) is the process of evaluating an information source, i.e. a document, a person, a speech, a fingerprint, a photo, an observation or anything used in order to obtain knowledge. In relation to a given purpose, a given information source may be more or less valid, reliable or relevant. Broadly, "source criticism" is the interdisciplinary study of how information sources are evaluated for given tasks (cf. next sections)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_cri...ce_studies