"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 08:38 AM
(12-10-2015 07:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 05:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Skepticism needs to be more than 1 denial of a claim. It's an attitude, doctrine, method, disposition, etc. It needs to be somewhat of a pattern, not just a one church group saying I'm skeptical of this 1 instance of those saying Jesus doesn't exist.

If skepticism is supposed to be some universal outlook or attitude, to all views and positions, than no one is a skeptic. Every group, person has some sets of belief their particularly skeptical about, and some they're not so skeptical about. There not skeptical about all the beliefs to the same degree.

I'm far more skeptical about objective thinking, rationalism, introspection, truth, even skepticism, then most folks here are who value these beliefs. If they were of some uniformed disposition, we'd like be on the same page, but we're not.

Completely misses (or intentionally ignores) the explanation of the distinction between skeptical/skepticism and Skepticism and Skeptics. Facepalm

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2015, 09:07 AM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(12-10-2015 08:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The irony of a theist claiming someone's thinking is muddled and that they are confused and deluded, is almost too much.

The fact that a dishonest theist is on an atheist site doing it, is utterly unsurprising. Drinking Beverage

Yes I know, for you any person who believes in God is delusional and confused.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-10-2015, 09:15 AM
(12-10-2015 09:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 08:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The irony of a theist claiming someone's thinking is muddled and that they are confused and deluded, is almost too much.

The fact that a dishonest theist is on an atheist site doing it, is utterly unsurprising. Drinking Beverage

Yes I know, for you any person who believes in God is delusional and confused.

Now you're catching on, you poor dumb deluded fool

-Rick
12-10-2015, 09:18 AM
I read the funniest shit sometimes. Skeptical about truth? This is like saying skeptical about blue. And how is it possible to be skeptical of introspection? You can be skeptical of the conclusions drawn via introspection, but I don't see how someone could be skeptical of introspection itself. Same with rationality. But if you don't wish to be rational then I suppose being skeptical of rationality is only natural.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
12-10-2015, 09:57 AM
(12-10-2015 07:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 08:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have not staked a position. Can't think through? Evidence or shut the fuck up. Drinking Beverage

Quote:I have not argued explanations, just evidence. Please pay attention.

Yea, because you're just a muddied thinker, and all you have is a series of meaningless half thoughts.

That's hilarious coming from you. Facepalm

Quote:Explanations are the vital component here, the explanation with the greater explanatory scope is what matters. It's question of which explanations makes better sense of the available information. It's that available information we refer to as "evidence", and it's a question of which explanation the evidence better supports.

You don't understand what evidence is.

Opinions are not evidence.
Hearsay is not evidence.
Anecdotes are not evidence.
And those are pretty much what you have to offer.

Quote:And your position is what regarding this? Nothing.... You can't even formulate one,

Can't formulate one? Consider

Of course I can. I just don't because I am agnostic on the historicity of Jesus.
Neither side has adequate evidence.

Quote:because you're that confused, and that deluded.

That's hilarious coming from you.

Which of us believes without evidence? That would be you.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-10-2015, 11:17 AM
(12-10-2015 09:18 AM)natachan Wrote:  I read the funniest shit sometimes. Skeptical about truth? This is like saying skeptical about blue.

Skeptical of the minds capacities to discern truth, skeptical of the belief the reality is entirely reducible to whatever mental abstractions we can form of it, reducible to any series of propositions we apply to it.

Quote:And how is it possible to be skeptical of introspection? You can be skeptical of the conclusions drawn via introspection, but I don't see how someone could be skeptical of introspection itself.

Skeptical in regards to the reliability of any person's introspection, and the conclusions drawn by it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-10-2015, 11:18 AM
(12-10-2015 11:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 09:18 AM)natachan Wrote:  I read the funniest shit sometimes. Skeptical about truth? This is like saying skeptical about blue.

Skeptical of the minds capacities to discern truth, skeptical of the belief the reality is entirely reducible to whatever mental abstractions we can form of it, reducible to any series of propositions we apply to it.

Quote:And how is it possible to be skeptical of introspection? You can be skeptical of the conclusions drawn via introspection, but I don't see how someone could be skeptical of introspection itself.

Skeptical in regards to the reliability of any person's introspection, and the conclusions drawn by it.

Weeping Your posts are so fucking stupid. Weeping

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-10-2015, 11:21 AM
(12-10-2015 11:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Blink
Shocking
Gasp
Sadcryface2

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post
12-10-2015, 11:35 AM
(12-10-2015 11:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Weeping Your posts are so fucking stupid. Weeping

Hey look TheBeardedDude made another inane comment, in hopes of getting some likes.

12-10-2015, 11:36 AM
(12-10-2015 11:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 11:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Weeping Your posts are so fucking stupid. Weeping

Hey look TheBeardedDude made another inane comment, in hopes of getting some likes.

No, I made a comment about the sterility of your posts with regard to any substance. Drinking Beverage

-Rick