"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 08:36 AM
(13-10-2015 08:34 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You are waiting for an answer you have already been given. You do realize that right?

1. Repetition
2. Redundancy
3. Repetition

Sprinkle in a little ignorance and poor reading comprehension too

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 08:37 AM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(13-10-2015 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm dealing with your accusation that I erected a strawman of your views.

So I'll repeat the question again, waiting for a direct answer, to the bolded portion:

"So according to you there is no evidence that the Jesus of the NT, is based on an actual historical person, who was a jewish apocalyptic preacher, cult leader, and failed messiah claimant, who went around preaching about the Kingdom of God, who was crucified by the Romans under Pilate, who had a brother named James, and had disciples, who was the source of variety of sayings, and parables attributed to him, who acquired a large following after his death?

You believe there is no evidence for this right? That this conclusion drawn even by secular Historians like Bart Ehrman, is not based on evidence? Or is this another strawman of your views?"

You are waiting for an answer you have already been given. You do realize that right?

I want a direct answer. Because you accused me of erecting a strawman and I want to know where I did that. If you answer yes, to the bolded part, then it's clear that it wouldn't be here at least.

You believe that this conclusion, drawn even by secular Historians like Bart Ehraman, is not based on evidence. That's not a strawman of your views right?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-10-2015, 08:38 AM
(13-10-2015 08:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You are waiting for an answer you have already been given. You do realize that right?

I want a direct answer. Because you accused me of erecting a strawman and I want to know where I did that. If you answer yes, to the bolded part, then it's clear that it wouldn't be here at least.

You believe that this conclusion, drawn even by secular Historians like Bart Ehraman, is not based on evidence. That's not a strawman of your views right?

Your question is a straw man

-Rick
13-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I mean, holy shit. You're asking a nonsensical straw man question but want a direct answer. Are you playing stupid or is this genuine? Consider

-Rick
13-10-2015, 08:43 AM
(13-10-2015 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I mean, holy shit. You're asking a nonsensical straw man question but want a direct answer. Are you playing stupid or is this genuine? Consider

So this is a nonsensical question:

Do you believe that the conclusions drawn even by secular Historians like Bart Ehrman, are not evidence based? That they are conclusions drawn from no evidence at all?

(a summary of those conclusions were provided in a previous post)

Is that a question that doesn't make sense to you? Therefore you can't answer it?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-10-2015, 08:52 AM
(13-10-2015 08:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I mean, holy shit. You're asking a nonsensical straw man question but want a direct answer. Are you playing stupid or is this genuine? Consider

So this is a nonsensical question:

Do you believe that the conclusions drawn even by secular Historians like Bart Ehrman, are not evidence based? That they are conclusions drawn from no evidence at all?

(a summary of those conclusions were provided in a previous post)

Is that a question that doesn't make sense to you? Therefore you can't answer it?

I don't know Bart Ehrman's conclusions, I've never read his work (I've told you that before) so I don't have an opinion on his conclusions.

Your question is asinine. It assumes my position, but a straw manned version of it. You need to actually go and read what I've written in response to the historical Yeshua part and the mythical NT Jesus part.

It's not that I can't answer it, but it's that I already have. But you don't like the answers because they are more lengthy and require you to read since there can be no direct answer to the stupid question you've asked.

-Rick
13-10-2015, 08:59 AM
(13-10-2015 08:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know Bart Ehrman's conclusions, I've never read his work (I've told you that before) so I don't have an opinion on his conclusions.

I've already provided you a brief summary of those conclusions:

That "Jesus of the NT, is based on an actual historical person, who was a jewish apocalyptic preacher, cult leader, and failed messiah claimant, who went around preaching about the Kingdom of God, who was crucified by the Romans under Pilate, who had a brother named James, and had disciples, who was the source of variety of sayings, and parables attributed to him, who acquired a large following after his death."

So you have no opinion on these conclusions? Can't say whether or not it's based on evidence?

13-10-2015, 09:05 AM
(13-10-2015 08:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know Bart Ehrman's conclusions, I've never read his work (I've told you that before) so I don't have an opinion on his conclusions.

I've already provided you a brief summary of those conclusions:

That "Jesus of the NT, is based on an actual historical person, who was a jewish apocalyptic preacher, cult leader, and failed messiah claimant, who went around preaching about the Kingdom of God, who was crucified by the Romans under Pilate, who had a brother named James, and had disciples, who was the source of variety of sayings, and parables attributed to him, who acquired a large following after his death."

So you have no opinion on these conclusions? Can't say whether or not it's based on evidence?

I assume you are trying to summarize Bart Ehrman's conclusions.
1) I don't trust your skills to summarize anyone's argument
2) I have not read Bart Ehrman's work, so I don't know what he bases those conclusions on
3) you've shifted the goal posts from asking about my opinion on Jesus (mythical figure vs historical dude named Yeshua) to asking about my opinions on a historian's conclusions.

Your dishonesty and breadth of logical fallacy knows no bounds

-Rick
13-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Leather-face was based on Ed Gein. Molly Pitcher was based on real women in battle during the Revolutionary War. Many fictional characters are based on names or stories attributed to those names.

As has already been told to you by multiple people: A man named Yeshua who lived between 0-35 CE, is plausible. NT authors basing stories off of someone is akin to claiming Leather-face is a historically valid person because Ed Gein was. Facepalm

-Rick
13-10-2015, 09:17 AM
What do you think it proves if a person named Yeshua existed between 0-35 CE? Do you believe that validates any of the NT stories or any claims from Paul?

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post