"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
This is starting to remind me of the UFO thread.

Just sayin'.

Sometimes it's better to just admit that the conversation is going nowhere and walk away.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 02:30 PM
(13-10-2015 02:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This is starting to remind me of the UFO thread.

Just sayin'.

Sometimes it's better to just admit that the conversation is going nowhere and walk away.

Fuckin' pigeon chess man... Weeping

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
13-10-2015, 02:32 PM
(13-10-2015 01:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "That he had a brother named James? "

No. That claim comes from Paul.

The claim is collaborated by the historian Josephus as well, in writing of James death by stoning, acknowledging him as the brother of Jesus.

Would it be reasonable to draw a conclusion based on this information, that Yeshua had a brother named Jesus? Or would it still be non-evidence based, and therefore delusional to believe this is a reasonable conclusion?

Quote:Don't know. Any one of the heretical preachers of the time might have been the basis for a fictional character in the NT. Maybe one of them happened to be named Yeshua (Joshua)

There's a body of parables, sayings, and teachings, with their own unique style that incorporates irony, reversal, and frustration of expectations, such as the Prodigal son, the Lost Coin, the Dishonest Steward, etc.....all of which are attributed to exclusively to a Yeshua. Is it more reasonable to conclude they belonged to a heretical preacher named Yeshua, or that they belonged to other forgotten about heretical jewish preacher, or preachers at the time, whose name was something other than Yeshua?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-10-2015, 02:33 PM
(13-10-2015 02:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 01:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "That he had a brother named James? "

No. That claim comes from Paul.

The claim is collaborated by the historian Josephus as well, in writing of James death by stoning, acknowledging him as the brother of Jesus.

Would it be reasonable to draw a conclusion based on this information, that Yeshua had a brother named Jesus? Or would it still be non-evidence based, and therefore delusional to believe this is a reasonable conclusion?

Quote:Don't know. Any one of the heretical preachers of the time might have been the basis for a fictional character in the NT. Maybe one of them happened to be named Yeshua (Joshua)

There's a body of parables, sayings, and teachings, with their own unique style that incorporates irony, reversal, and frustration of expectations, such as the Prodigal son, the Lost Coin, the Dishonest Steward, etc.....all of which are attributed to exclusively to a Yeshua. Is it more reasonable to conclude they belonged to a heretical preacher named Yeshua, or that they belonged to other forgotten about heretical jewish preacher, or preachers at the time, whose name was something other than Yeshua?

Fuckin' pigeon chess No

Josephus knew JESUS?!!!!!

-Rick
13-10-2015, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 02:50 PM by Tomasia.)
(13-10-2015 02:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 02:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The claim is collaborated by the historian Josephus as well, in writing of James death by stoning, acknowledging him as the brother of Jesus.

Fuckin' pigeon chess No

Josephus knew JESUS?!!!!!

Nope, he was historian. And likely didn't personally know any of the people he wrote about. But he wrote of James's stoning, and acknowledged that he was the brother of Jesus.

According to you a conclusion based on this and what Paul wrote, regarding James, that Yeshua had a brother named James, would be delusional, right?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-10-2015, 02:46 PM
(13-10-2015 02:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fuckin' pigeon chess No

I know, I'm in awe of your insight into the question of historicity. You seem well read, and quite informed on the subject. You should consider writing a book on the topic. I'm sure it would be a winner.

13-10-2015, 02:53 PM
You're too dumb to know how dumb you are Facepalm

-Rick
13-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Sooo... has anyone accepted Paul Bunyan into their hearts yet?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
13-10-2015, 03:08 PM
(13-10-2015 02:53 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're too dumb to know how dumb you are Facepalm

I know man, silly me, going along with the conclusions of historians. I mean who needs historians when you got TheBeardedGuy's take on historicity.

High five?

13-10-2015, 03:19 PM
(13-10-2015 03:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 02:53 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're too dumb to know how dumb you are Facepalm

I know man, silly me, going along with the conclusions of historians.

I thought you were the most skeptical person here? That is silly, I mean why would you take any conclusion certainly if you were the tots mcgoats skeptic.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post