"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 08:09 AM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(16-10-2015 07:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But don't pretend you are here to learn. It's just.....dishonest.

Sorry dude, your ability to teach me about NT history, is comparable to Kirk Cameron's ability to teach you about biology. There's variety of subjects people here know a great deal more about than I do, NT history is unlikely to be one of them.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2015, 08:11 AM
(16-10-2015 08:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 07:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But don't pretend you are here to learn. It's just.....dishonest.

Sorry dude, your ability to teach me about NT history, is comparable to Kirk Cameron's ability to teach you about biology. There's variety of subjects people here know a great deal more about than I do, NT history is unlikely to be one of them.

Your ability to learn is comparable to Kirk Cameron's ability to learn about evolution. Which is to say it is entirely absent in the light of your faith-based beliefs that act as the lens through which you choose to view history.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
16-10-2015, 08:17 AM
(16-10-2015 08:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'll give you this, you definitely seem to have researched the religious interpretation of your religion's history, but the secular history of it continues to elude you.

No the secular history doesn't elude me. In fact there are entirely reasonable secular historical explanations, like Ehrmans. It's just your supposed take on that is dismissible in light of these better ones. Your interpretation is one entirely distorted by your resentments towards religion, it might be ones that get you high fives among your friends. But would be short lived for anyone who took it upon themselves to study the subject seriously.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-10-2015, 08:21 AM
(16-10-2015 08:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 08:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'll give you this, you definitely seem to have researched the religious interpretation of your religion's history, but the secular history of it continues to elude you.

No the secular history doesn't elude me. In fact there are entirely reasonable secular historical explanations, like Ehrmans. It's just your supposed take on that is dismissible in light of these better ones. Your interpretation is one entirely distorted by your resentments towards religion, it might be ones that get you high fives among your friends. But would be short lived for anyone who took it upon themselves to study the subject seriously.

Still trying to play shrink. Do you understand why your attempts at psychoanalysis hold no water?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
17-10-2015, 03:14 AM
I have figured out how to see it all add up. Those bones must be there somewhere, so they must prove it and we can add up these stories to find out a real truth, as soon as we can measure up those bones.

If anything, accept the accept and react nature of the world. If it was efficient enough at some points, it still can be efficient. The question is, do we want to have things just be efficient and sufficient?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson