"I was a christian", theist argument.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 09:47 AM
RE: "I was a christian", theist argument.
(09-10-2015 09:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I was quite happy to coexist with them for quite a while because they didn't attempt to inject their religion into the life of my family and they hadn't actually hurt anyone in my family. But they couldn't keep their noses out forever as it turns out, because they felt the religious calling to intervene in different ways (mostly passive-aggressive theistic bullshit)."

But you hold religion as inherently divisive. Though it appears both your family and your wife's family are religious, yet, the divisiveness is prominent feature of your wife's family, but not yours.

It would make sense as to why you believe it to be inherently divisive if it was a dominant feature in both sides of your relationships, but that doesn't seem to be the case by your own admission.

Why is religion a divisive thing for your in-laws but not your immediate family? And how can you claim that it's inherent feature of religion when it's not present in your relationship with your parents?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2015, 09:48 AM
(09-10-2015 09:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 09:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I was quite happy to coexist with them for quite a while because they didn't attempt to inject their religion into the life of my family and they hadn't actually hurt anyone in my family. But they couldn't keep their noses out forever as it turns out, because they felt the religious calling to intervene in different ways (mostly passive-aggressive theistic bullshit)."

But you hold religion as inherently divisive. Though it appears both your family and your wife's family are religious, yet, the divisiveness is prominent feature of your wife's family, but not yours.

It would make sense as to why you believe it to be inherently divisive if it was a dominant feature in both sides of your relationships, but that doesn't seem to be the case by your own admission.

Why is religion a divisive thing for your in-laws but not your immediate family? And how can you claim that it's inherent feature of religion when it's not present in your relationship with your parents?

Religion doesn't define my relationship with my family. It also doesn't define the reason I don't like my MiL or FiL.

My dislike of them, and my dislike of their theism, are separate. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-10-2015, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 10:04 AM by Tomasia.)
(09-10-2015 09:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The fact that you can't escape your "pathology" is not an indictment against humanity being unable to.

Atheism nor theisms seem to the result of any singular pathology. The route you took to being an atheist, is likely not the same one Stevil took, etc...

But the pathology I was referring to, was the one regarding hatred and resentment. That trajectory is a constant. Your feeling don't work as cleanly as you imagine your thoughts do. You're a slave to your hatred and resentment, not the master over them. To believe otherwise, is magical thinking.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-10-2015, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 10:06 AM by Tomasia.)
(09-10-2015 09:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My dislike of them, and my dislike of their theism, are separate. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

Isn't it the inherent divisiveness of religion that you despise the most here, in relationship to them, and in regards to other theists? Don't the theists you dislike the most, resemble what you hate about your in-laws?

09-10-2015, 10:16 AM
(09-10-2015 09:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 09:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My dislike of them, and my dislike of their theism, are separate. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

Isn't it the inherent divisiveness of religion that you despise the most here, in relationship to them, and in regards to other theists? Don't the theists you dislike the most, resemble what you hate about your in-laws?

No. And no. I've already explained this. You'll need to actually read what I write instead of assuming you know more about my own psyche than I do.

-Rick
09-10-2015, 10:17 AM
(09-10-2015 09:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 09:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The fact that you can't escape your "pathology" is not an indictment against humanity being unable to.

Atheism nor theisms seem to the result of any singular pathology. The route you took to being an atheist, is likely not the same one Stevil took, etc...

But the pathology I was referring to, was the one regarding hatred and resentment. That trajectory is a constant. Your feeling don't work as cleanly as you imagine your thoughts do. You're a slave to your hatred and resentment, not the master over them. To believe otherwise, is magical thinking.

My hate of religion doesn't define my atheism nor is it the reason for my atheism.

The only magical thinking here is the assumption you know me better than I do.

-Rick
09-10-2015, 10:17 AM
(09-10-2015 10:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No. And no. I've already explained this. You'll need to actually read what I write instead of assuming you know more about my own psyche than I do.

Come now, BeardedDude. You can't go asking Tomasia to act reasonably. That would just be... unreasonable.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
(09-10-2015 10:17 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 10:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No. And no. I've already explained this. You'll need to actually read what I write instead of assuming you know more about my own psyche than I do.

Come now, BeardedDude. You can't go asking Tomasia to act reasonably. That would just be... unreasonable.

How ignorant of me Dodgy

-Rick
09-10-2015, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 10:36 AM by Tomasia.)
(09-10-2015 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My hate of religion doesn't define my atheism nor is it the reason for my atheism.

Of course it's not the reason for your atheism. Your hatred seemed to have formed after you were already an atheist. And it doesn't define your atheism.

It just defines your attitude towards the religious.

And that hatred is produced by your relationship with your in-laws. If you had amiable, and a good relationship with them, your attitude towards religion as a whole, would likely be drastically different. You would likely still be an atheists of course, but your feeling towards theists would be filled with considerably less resentment. In fact our relationship would likely be fundamentally different as well, if it wasn't for your in-laws, lol.

09-10-2015, 10:33 AM
(09-10-2015 10:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My hate of religion doesn't define my atheism nor is it the reason for my atheism.

Of course it's not the reason for your atheism. Your hatred seemed to have formed after you were already an atheist. And it doesn't define your atheism.

It just defines your attitude towards the religious.

And that hatred is produced by your relationship with your in-laws. If you had amiable, and a good relationship with them, your attitude towards religion as a whole, would likely be drastically different. You would still be an atheists of course, but your feeling towards theists would be filled with considerably less resentment.

Facepalm

No, my attitude towards religion and theism is not defined by my relationship with my in-laws.

My relationship with my in-laws is based on how they have treated my wife and I over the last 4 years over a myriad of topics (none of which were religious).

Your attempts to diagnose me and my relationships with others in my life, displays not only a profound ignorance, but a profound arrogance.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post