I was a happy JW so what the hell am I doing here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 02:11 AM by Atothetheist.)
RE: I was a happy JW so what the hell am I doing here
(07-10-2012 01:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 04:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  ... The guys here grow on you ...

That's cos were funguys.

And this is where the Facepalm emote is really needed... The cheesy jokes.

Anyways, OP, welcome. Even though you haven't been on here long, I already like you (I'm that type of person). Being a Witness sucks. While I wasn't one ever, I know many people who were, and most of their stories are absolutely horrible.

I am glad you made it out, because, even if it is not really known, to them, they lost a sheep, but to us, we gained a rational, free thinking person.

Now, with that aside... How would you like your baby?Big Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Hollowen is coming or has been or whatever some time around this time yes?

It makes one ponder if JW's hate the holiday. I mean all those annoying people knocking on their door bothering them with things they don't believe in?

Oh the irony if they do, oh the irony.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
07-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Welcome.

Sounds to me that you came here in much the same way as some others have. You noticed something that made you question the faith you were in and you looked into it. You started thinking instead of just going along with what you had been taught. For some, the blind faith and belief that their religion shouldn't be questioned causes them to shove their concerns aside and continue trudging along in what is familiar and seemingly safe. For others, one question leads to another and another and another until you realize that there is a real truth out there just waiting for you to discover it.

A good friend left the JWs and it was a difficult deconversion. The loss of connection with family and friends and the shaking off of old beliefs took time and effort. She also started questioning the beliefs, particularly because she was so hungry for more education and it was discouraged within the faith.

Again, welcome aboard. Dom is right, there's some craziness afoot here. But there are a lot of people that are here to be supportive and sometimes humor (even sick humor-Erx and FrankiJ) is called for to lighten the mood.

Some of the members here have put together a list of resources that you may find interesting. Lots of great books, videos, and podcasts are listed.

And so the journey begins...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
07-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I've always been uncomfortable with 'religious truths' and 'religious practices' and I've abandoned them gradually as I've grown older. Family and society have always hindered me but I can't pretend to be a believer when I'm not. Look at the stars on a clear night, smoke a cigarette and think of the vastness of the cosmos and the narrowness of religious doctrine. Helps me every time someone in the family gives me a hard time about my atheism.Shy
[+] 1 user Likes greywolf's post
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi there, welcome and have a welcome cookie *offering huge chocolate chip cookie with a cup of tea*

that was a long first post but it was very interesting. I have never been JW myself but I knew a few and I read a lot. I heard both very positive and very negative things about JW. That you had actually a really good life there and still have is one of the good things I heard. The outlook that they might throw you out because you question them is one of the negative things.
I hope you will do well.
Now for ressources: What I find quite helpful is the Atheist Experience and AronRa as well as all speeches and podcasts by TTA. These three things knocked the rest of faith and questions out of both me and my husband. We met during our deconverstion and basically did the last steps together.

I won't pray for you but I will hope that everything turns out allright for you Smile

cheers
Leela

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Not enough that these JW knocking on my door, always when i'm in the middle of a "pressing Meeting on my ceramic-telephone, no, now they come on my favorite website, writing posts, even longer as my toilett-paper-roll.

Welcome to TTA and have a nice stay.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard. Thanks for the extensive introduction, that was an interesting read. Smile

(07-10-2012 10:34 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Not enough that these JW knocking on my door, always when i'm in the middle of a "pressing Meeting on my ceramic-telephone, no, now they come on my favorite website, writing posts, even longer as my toilett-paper-roll.

You're living in Germany as well, right? I haven't had any visits from JW ever since I told them not to come to my house again 8 years ago. Although JW are just as irrational as the adherents of any other religion, at the very least they respect the laws established by the state (in Germany, at the very least).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
(07-10-2012 10:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Welcome aboard. Thanks for the extensive introduction, that was an interesting read. Smile

(07-10-2012 10:34 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Not enough that these JW knocking on my door, always when i'm in the middle of a "pressing Meeting on my ceramic-telephone, no, now they come on my favorite website, writing posts, even longer as my toilett-paper-roll.

You're living in Germany as well, right? I haven't had any visits from JW ever since I told them not to come to my house again 8 years ago. Although JW are just as irrational as the adherents of any other religion, at the very least they respect the laws established by the state (in Germany, at the very least).

Sorry to try to make a joke....
It was meant to be one.
Last Time i have an encounter with JW, i have to clear the terme atheist to them.
I told them that i am an atheist, and they ask me why i did'nt care for other people and have no empathy for others.
So, i have to explain the difference between atheism and autism.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 2 users Like Marco Krieger's post
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
(07-10-2012 10:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Welcome aboard. Thanks for the extensive introduction, that was an interesting read. Smile

Back when I was 12 we were living on the country side near Munich. And my mother had told me not to open the door when I am along, so I opened the door when JW rang. I briefly knew about them and that my mother was so annoyed that they came to our door every weekend.
So they wanted to give me a brochure and I said "oh we got that one already"
and they wanted to give me another one and I said "yes we have that one too already"
The looked at each other strangely and said "might have been the other guy from last week"
And I said "yes, maybe"
They never came back again Big Grin

And about respecting the laws and stuff. I had two very interesting conversations/encounters with JW. One was at work. I was working in a daycare center at the time and one of the kids was JW and we as a team were a bit confused on what to do when birthdays come up and such things. So we approached the parents. The next day they brought us a brochure that was directed at school and darcare professionals. It explained why specific celebrations were not allowed and what to do when they arise (very helpful actually, as it was not telling us to convert). Another part that this brochure talked about, and the other person that I once found on the internet and asked a few questions about his JW faith said that too... ok both explained to me that they respect the laws as a guideline that people need but that they will for example not stand up and sing the hymn with the rest of the school, or participate in political events because for them that would mean to takes something more important than God. I find it a weird reason but I can kinda understand where they are coming from with this.
So yes, no getting in trouble with law and respecting that, but on the other hand I heard enough horror stories about abuse and other things that have never been reportet because they want to keep things in their own circles and deal with it (by basically making it all worse...).
Weird logic...Consider

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Once I read the Bible with critical eye (only made it through the first two books) I still had to listen to arguments by philosophers like Russell and D'Holback.
There is a process to de-conversions. Like getting over any mental illness it takes time.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post