I was a happy JW so what the hell am I doing here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
RE: I was a happy JW so what the hell am I doing here
I am a former Witness (of 20 years) myself.

As such, I will not tell you not to endeavor to study the doctrine to your intellectual satisfaction (or lack thereof, depending on what conclusions you draw), but I can tell you that you will find nothing of validity. Even today; having learned what I've learned and using the reason that has slowly reinforced every thought; every action, I will occasionally find myself at my parents' house, leaning against the kitchen counter and chuckling as I flip through one of the Watchtower or Awake! magazines.

There was a point when my mother made sure to give me a copy of the book "Life: How Did it Get Here?" (as though I had never read it in all my 20 years). I stayed true to my promise to read as many chapters as I possibly could with an open and objective mind. I didn't even manage to get past the first 2 pages without realized that the book I was holding in my hand was completely full of shit. Outdated claims made about outdated sciences; inaccuracies run rampant; baseless claims and a liberal use of the "God of the gaps" argument. It was a mess. While my mother intended the book to "open my eyes", perhaps she should have specified exactly how it would be opening my eyes, because they are now wide open...to the fact that the Watchtower organization has no idea what it's talking about.

So, if it is your wish to dig a little deeper into the teachings of the Witnesses, by all means, do so. But take it from someone who did the same (and any others who may be on this forum), you wont find anything of value.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2012, 07:06 AM
(07-10-2012 02:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I am a former Witness (of 20 years) myself.

As such, I will not tell you not to endeavor to study the doctrine to your intellectual satisfaction (or lack thereof, depending on what conclusions you draw), but I can tell you that you will find nothing of validity. Even today; having learned what I've learned and using the reason that has slowly reinforced every thought; every action, I will occasionally find myself at my parents' house, leaning against the kitchen counter and chuckling as I flip through one of the Watchtower or Awake! magazines.

There was a point when my mother made sure to give me a copy of the book "Life: How Did it Get Here?" (as though I had never read it in all my 20 years). I stayed true to my promise to read as many chapters as I possibly could with an open and objective mind. I didn't even manage to get past the first 2 pages without realized that the book I was holding in my hand was completely full of shit. Outdated claims made about outdated sciences; inaccuracies run rampant; baseless claims and a liberal use of the "God of the gaps" argument. It was a mess. While my mother intended the book to "open my eyes", perhaps she should have specified exactly how it would be opening my eyes, because they are now wide open...to the fact that the Watchtower organization has no idea what it's talking about.

So, if it is your wish to dig a little deeper into the teachings of the Witnesses, by all means, do so. But take it from someone who did the same (and any others who may be on this forum), you wont find anything of value.

Yes same here. It's good to know others have had a similar experience to me. Evolution was one of the easiest things for me to accept. Once I knew the arguments of id proponents and creationist I thought I'd look at the evidence for evolution. This time I started to look at what science really said and not just what WT said science said.

I was blown away with how simple it was to understand. Micro and marco evolution. Mutation natural selection. They explained how things change over time.

I went back to the creation literature that the WT produce and I found it lacking in so many areas.

I guess science works!!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Jonno8339's post
08-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Ahhhh, such fond memories.

I remember the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book.

Little did I know at the time that the very title was an oxymoron. Wink

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
08-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Jonno! wow - I'm on the road so TL;DR yet... when I stop somewhere and get a chance, I'll get to it. Just skimming looked pretty juicy.

Suffice to say ... ya woke up. Good morning to the rest of your life.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
If you have trouble with withdrawal symptoms, you can attend a religious door knock. They are held regularly in Southern California. Tongue
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...r+knocking

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
08-10-2012, 11:10 AM
(07-10-2012 07:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hollowen is coming or has been or whatever some time around this time yes?

It makes one ponder if JW's hate the holiday. I mean all those annoying people knocking on their door bothering them with things they don't believe in?

Oh the irony if they do, oh the irony.

My family used to leave Watchtowers outside the house. And if Halloween fell on a Saturday, we took the day off. I love Halloween.

Oh, and my folks were married on the 31st of October. I used to call them the Bride and Groom of Death. Until the True Death happened and they divorced.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Welcome to TTA forums!

Also, if you knocked on my door at any time in the past and I answered it naked just to troll you, I'm really sorry. That's just me. I can't help it.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-10-2012, 02:24 AM
(08-10-2012 07:06 AM)Jonno8339 Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 02:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I am a former Witness (of 20 years) myself.

Yes same here. It's good to know others have had a similar experience to me. Evolution was one of the easiest things for me to accept. Once I knew the arguments of id proponents and creationist I thought I'd look at the evidence for evolution. This time I started to look at what science really said and not just what WT said science said.

I was blown away with how simple it was to understand. Micro and marco evolution. Mutation natural selection. They explained how things change over time.

I went back to the creation literature that the WT produce and I found it lacking in so many areas.

I guess science works!!

Evolution was what really made me start to let go of my faith. I was always fighting atheists and telling them that Evolution was wrong. Well, because I didn't know the first thing about it; I regularly lost those fights. So I decided I'd delve into the science. My motives were to learn as much as I could about it and, in turn, find what was wrong with it so I could point out its flaws.

After closing the last of several books on the topic, I realized I had no argument. Lmao

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 04:13 AM
(08-10-2012 09:30 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Ahhhh, such fond memories.

I remember the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book.

Little did I know at the time that the very title was an oxymoron. Wink

I have to admit that this was my go too book for things. The evolution section is a doozy. Now I look at it and realise all the logical fallacies it contained. Eg carbon dating doesn't work- evidence given for the claim, a news paper paragraph from the 1980s.

Who needs peer review when you can cherry pick your evidence
[+] 2 users Like Jonno8339's post
09-10-2012, 04:18 AM
(08-10-2012 06:35 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Welcome to TTA forums!

Also, if you knocked on my door at any time in the past and I answered it naked just to troll you, I'm really sorry. That's just me. I can't help it.

I've knocked on doors when people have been having sex, arguing with each other. Military enthusiasts coming to the door with guns, Born again Christians laying hands on me. Vicars shouting in my face about the trinity. Hot girls too Wink