I was a happy JW so what the hell am I doing here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 04:26 AM
RE: I was a happy JW so what the hell am I doing here
(09-10-2012 04:18 AM)Jonno8339 Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 06:35 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Welcome to TTA forums!

Also, if you knocked on my door at any time in the past and I answered it naked just to troll you, I'm really sorry. That's just me. I can't help it.

I've knocked on doors when people have been having sex, arguing with each other. Military enthusiasts coming to the door with guns, Born again Christians laying hands on me. Vicars shouting in my face about the trinity. Hot girls too Wink

That last bit.... pics or it didn't happen!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Now you know what many of us ex-theists know... you totally can lose your faith. Be prepared to be accused of having never been a "true believer"... some theists still deny that you can get unsaved.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
10-10-2012, 04:37 AM
(09-10-2012 09:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Now you know what many of us ex-theists know... you totally can lose your faith. Be prepared to be accused of having never been a "true believer"... some theists still deny that you can get unsaved.

This is called the "No True Scotsman fallacy", and it must be called out with immediacy if (when) it rears its ugly head.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Firstly, I'd like to say welcome, fellow apostate! Heart

Interesting to note that you are not only the same age as me, but you married in 2002, the same year I did. Neat! Also interesting to note that one of the things that ultimately "snapped" me, for lack of a better way to put it, had to do with pregnancy.

I like how you said you read the Bible without the "God glasses" on. I did that, also, and I was thinking, "Whoa!! How did I miss all THIS??" Crazy, isn't it?

I guess what I'd have to say is... Don't really waste your time with the Bible studies. I did try that, myself, and all I ever ended up with was more questions that were not getting answered to my satisfaction, or were being completely avoided, depending on what the questions were. At one point, I was scolded by an elder for asking too many questions! He asked me if I had "some kind of problem". I wish I had been bolder back then, like I am now. I'd have said something snide, though. Maybe it's better I wasn't...

I always found that the Watchtowers, Awakes, and general meetings were always on the same subjects over and over. After 30 years of hearing the same stuff countless times, I got so sick of it that I started making up whatever excuses I could not to go to the Kingdom Hall. I didn't want to be "taught" the same thing I already knew about yet again. Just felt like an awful waste of my time.

The only thing to be concerned about, really, is your wife. Does she know? Does she suspect? I only bring this up because, in the event you're disfellowshipped for your apostasy, or just leave in general, she may either feel she must, or be pressured into shunning you. Same for any family and friends you have within the organization. I'm kind of lucky when it comes to this. The only blood related family I have up here in Minnesota where I live now is my mother, and she loves me more than she loves Jehovah, so when I told her I'd left, she accepted it and still talks to me and associates with me. However, if my aunts, uncles, and cousins back in Mississippi ever learned of what I had done, there would be a lot of pressure on my poor mom to start shunning me. I don't hear much from them anyway, but she does. I told her never, ever let them find out, because I don't want them trying to push that on her. It'd be... hard on her...

I don't mean to be a party pooper. I'm just concerned. At any rate, it's nice to have you here. Smile
11-10-2012, 05:16 AM
(10-10-2012 10:10 PM)SlipStitch Wrote:  Firstly, I'd like to say welcome, fellow apostate! Heart

Interesting to note that you are not only the same age as me, but you married in 2002, the same year I did. Neat! Also interesting to note that one of the things that ultimately "snapped" me, for lack of a better way to put it, had to do with pregnancy.

I like how you said you read the Bible without the "God glasses" on. I did that, also, and I was thinking, "Whoa!! How did I miss all THIS??" Crazy, isn't it?

I guess what I'd have to say is... Don't really waste your time with the Bible studies. I did try that, myself, and all I ever ended up with was more questions that were not getting answered to my satisfaction, or were being completely avoided, depending on what the questions were. At one point, I was scolded by an elder for asking too many questions! He asked me if I had "some kind of problem". I wish I had been bolder back then, like I am now. I'd have said something snide, though. Maybe it's better I wasn't...

I always found that the Watchtowers, Awakes, and general meetings were always on the same subjects over and over. After 30 years of hearing the same stuff countless times, I got so sick of it that I started making up whatever excuses I could not to go to the Kingdom Hall. I didn't want to be "taught" the same thing I already knew about yet again. Just felt like an awful waste of my time.

The only thing to be concerned about, really, is your wife. Does she know? Does she suspect? I only bring this up because, in the event you're disfellowshipped for your apostasy, or just leave in general, she may either feel she must, or be pressured into shunning you. Same for any family and friends you have within the organization. I'm kind of lucky when it comes to this. The only blood related family I have up here in Minnesota where I live now is my mother, and she loves me more than she loves Jehovah, so when I told her I'd left, she accepted it and still talks to me and associates with me. However, if my aunts, uncles, and cousins back in Mississippi ever learned of what I had done, there would be a lot of pressure on my poor mom to start shunning me. I don't hear much from them anyway, but she does. I told her never, ever let them find out, because I don't want them trying to push that on her. It'd be... hard on her...

I don't mean to be a party pooper. I'm just concerned. At any rate, it's nice to have you here. Smile

Hi. Thank you for the reply. It's truly comforting to know there are others who have had a similar experience to me.

As for my family. I have tried to keep my thought away from my children for the time being. I am trying to give them a balance view on things. If they ask about god I do talk about Jehovah as they are aware of that. But I also talk about Allah, Thor, Zeus. I don't want to shy away from it but explain that people worship other gods and goddesses and some don't worship any at all. I'm trying not to replace one form of dogmatism for another.

As for my wife. This is the hard thing. She loves me and I love her. It pains her to see me twist my head around things. For her she is more Christian than JW. She believes that god exists and in a hope for the future. it gives her peace and comfort. She does know and openly talks about me not being a JW. Her parents left about 2 years ago which affected her thinking about people who leave. She has no family members left now in the religion. Her father was an elder for years and him and her mother had brought up the family in the religion.

She just wants to be happy and for us all to be happy regardless of belief. Quite a special women really
[+] 1 user Likes Jonno8339's post
11-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Sounds like you have a relatively good set up there, then. I've heard so many ex-Witnesses tell of how their lives were shattered when they left, as they lost their spouses and children to the kind of shunning the JW's tend to pressure for. But it doesn't look like that would be the case for you, and that's very good!

Well, friend, I hope you stick around. We're a fun, relatively relaxed bunch around here. Big Grin