I was bored. I wanted to know which was larger.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2015 07:36 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
RE: I was bored. I wanted to know which was larger.
(22-05-2015 07:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 07:24 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was thinking the same thing as biker. You defined 50 uL as a "drop". Why? Your math says nothing on why you chose that amount. I have pipettes that can add a "drop" of something in 1 uL increments if I want to. Just curious.

edit: If your REALLY bored, figure out which has more oxygen, sand or water.

Yeah.

My calculations were FUBAR. I think I fixed them.

Right, I saw that pesky 0 missing in the gallons of water part, but I am still curious why 50 uL constitutes a drop.

Edit: *sigh* it helps if I actually see your reference. My bad.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
22-05-2015, 07:57 AM
(21-05-2015 09:37 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  On another note, half the nitrogen in your body was produced industrially.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...lizer.html

Ohmy

More than a couple of epiphany moments in there.

Thank you.

22-05-2015, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2015 08:11 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(22-05-2015 07:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 07:24 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was thinking the same thing as biker. You defined 50 uL as a "drop". Why? Your math says nothing on why you chose that amount. I have pipettes that can add a "drop" of something in 1 uL increments if I want to. Just curious.

edit: If your REALLY bored, figure out which has more oxygen, sand or water.

Pretty sure it's water. I read yesterday that 10 drops of water have more molecules than there are stars in the universe.

Pretty easy to find that out actually about the stars. Sticking with the 50 uL as a drop, that would be 500 uL in 10 drops.

Mass of 500 uL water is 500 ug

Molecular weight of water is 18 g/mol (or 18 ug/umol)

so 500/18 = 27.77 umol which is 2.777*10^-8 mol water

Multiply that by Avogadro's number and we get
1.666*10^13 molecules of water

Using this, this, and this as references, which all agree the number in the universe is about 10^24 stars in the universe (not just the Milky Way) it would seem that the article was either mistaken or it meant the Milky way only. These references would require over 18 mL water to beat those numbers. Smile

You're bored. You're right but prove that more oxygen is locked in the water than sand.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac