I was, but I'm not anymore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I was, but I'm not anymore
This thread was inspired by me finding some of my old documents. I thought it might be fun to show how silly I sounded back in the day.
Hm...just as silly as I sound now, I guess.

Anyway, if you are a former Theist, here's a great place to show off how deluded you were!

From 2004, 10 months after I resigned as a Pastor, I was apparently hoping Rick Warren would consider taking me on staff! This is a cover letter I had to write to go along with my resume:

Quote:
Statement of Faith

I have known the Lord for as long as I can remember. Just as it would be difficult to describe when I first started loving my parents, it would be hard to define when I first began loving Jesus. Growing up in a Christian home, my parents introduced me to God right from the start. My father was a Seventh Day Baptist pastor and I had the benefit of always being involved not only in church and children’s ministries, but our home was Christ centered.

When I was 6 years old, I made a conscious decision to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I began to understand that I was a sinner in need of a savior and that Jesus Christ died for my sins and rose from the dead that I might have everlasting life.

As I grew in years, I grew in my relationship with my Lord. A crucial period of growth for me was during my years as an undergraduate at Seattle Pacific University, a private, Christian university. The chapels, classes and small group experiences I had there deepened my understanding of who God is and what He expects of me as His child. I realized I had a calling to serve Him in all that I do and to help other people find God’s purposes for their lives. I went from there to Fuller Theological Seminary to deepen my knowledge of the Lord’s Word and to learn how to serve the needs of people.

For the past 15 years I have been involved in church ministry, but now I am sensing God’s call to serve Him and others in a new way. I have a passion for helping young adults find God’s direction for their lives. Because of my faith and ministry experiences, I believe that I would be a strong addition to the Purpose Driven Ministry at Saddleback Church.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
RE: I was, but I'm not anymore
Pretty riveting and interesting stuff, mang. Thank you for sharing.

If it's any consolation, I would've hired you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 01:58 PM
A picture of Reverend Erxomai before he was hellbound. Circa 2000ish.

[Image: 373876_10150451351153399_721933398_85214...3779_n.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
(09-12-2011 01:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  A picture of Reverend Erxomai before he was hellbound. Circa 2000ish.

Is that a smiley face tie?

09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
(09-12-2011 01:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 01:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  A picture of Reverend Erxomai before he was hellbound. Circa 2000ish.

Is that a smiley face tie?

One of my favorites! Big Grin

And I need to modify this thread for KC and "his kind".
Let this be the place to post any of your former agnostic life before you discovered God was real.

~Izel
09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd share. But I've never been a theist.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
This could be quite embarrassing...

Quote:There are several issues to be had with the supposition of Theistic Evolution. First, Theistic Evolution is problematic because it hides God’s divine being, thus contradicting theology. The Bible proclaims the glory of God and uses Creation as an especially common example of his Glory. If God did not create the world, but just put the events into place which led to its creation, Evolution holds the glory for Creation and not God. By using Evolution, God would be hiding his divine being, which contradicts His divine purpose. Second there is the issue of Evolution’s factuality. Collins’ view of Theistic Evolution has blind spots – particularly in the areas of math and probability. The mathematical likelihood of Evolution occurring is so small that it defies belief. Also, Evolution assumes the possibility of wide scale transformations even though genetic variety exists only for small scale changes such as size and color. There is no genetic variability for a change in species. Natural selection also is out of the picture because variation comes only from available genetic variations. Beneficial mutations have never been observed. The change that people see in microevolution cannot be extrapolated into large scale change because microevolution only involves the traits for which there are genetic variants, while macroevolution requires traits for which there are no variants. Also, biological machines break down, not improve, under too much change. In any case, random mutations do not lead to improved beings. The transition beings would be more likely to die, not less, than the non – mutated species. A second assumption of Evolution is that similarity implies common ancestry, when the trend of similarity actually is more consistent with the idea of a single Creator. Thus Evolution cannot exist on its own and is inconsistent with the Bible.
Now that Evolution is out of the picture we are left with Creation as the only account. Though many believe that Creation is inconsistent with science, I believe otherwise. Creation in many ways is consistent with science, though not all of it is explainable by science. The largest issue that people have with Creation is its requirement for the supernatural. True science is supposedly required to regard the supernatural as falsehood, but I believe that a Christian can believe in Creation while being a true scientist because science is not a code of belief but a method of discovery. People often regard science as an ideology on its own, when in reality science is only a method by which we discover facts about our world. Therefore science does not always have to leave out the supernatural. According to Brian Miller, the fossil record itself implies design. I disagree with Evolution because it is contradictory to my faith and unlike many I do not see science as sovereign or immutably true. In my opinion, scientific evidence is as much up to interpretation as are passages of text. Science is useful as a tool, but I do not hold it as an ideology on grounds with faith.

Do we have a giant facepalm smilie somewhere? Cuz I need it... At least I was honest...

[Image: facepalm.gif]

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post
09-12-2011, 02:10 PM
(09-12-2011 02:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'd share. But I've never been a theist.

Ok, let's expand the parameters to share any "delusions" you previously held onto. In this thread there should be neither Male or Female, Slave or Free, Jew or Gentile, let us all be the body of agnostic atheists together. Smile

~Izel
09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
(09-12-2011 02:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  And I need to modify this thread for KC and "his kind".
Let this be the place to post any of your former agnostic life before you discovered God was real.

<_< more than one of my kind here?

But anyway, much of my stuff is in Internet Abyss. I only expressed my agnosticism online. Living in a world surrounded by Christians wasn't the best place to voice what I believed.

09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
(09-12-2011 02:04 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  This could be quite embarrassing...

Do we have a giant facepalm smilie somewhere? Cuz I need it... At least I was honest...

[Image: facepalm.gif]

It's tough to share that kind of stuff now, isn't it? Facepalm indeed!

How long ago did you write this?

~Izel