I was, but I'm not anymore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2011, 11:42 AM
RE: I was, but I'm not anymore
(11-12-2011 10:47 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Erxomai, have you heard about the Clergy Project? It's good stuff... an attempt to help out clergy who have become atheists but don't know what to do after that point.

I myself was a Christian for many years, but after a lot of bible study I found that the bible's commands didn't align with how Christians believed. For instance, after reviewing Jesus' words that with a tiny amount of faith you can move mountains, I put that to the test. Guess what? Even with a mustard 'tree' full of faith, you can't move a penny. My family explained it away to the point of irrelevancy, trying to make it sound like 'ask and ye shall receive' means anything other than 'pray and you'll get it, if it's okay with God'. As you now know, prayer doesn't actually affect anything, and any attempts to test prayer will end in crushing disappointment.

There were other things, too. I didn't understand why we ate pig and shellfish now, even though the bible never gave permission. I didn't understand why we stopped keeping the Sabbath holy (it's one of the 10 commandments!) or why Paul's admonitions about women and their place weren't kept (yes, ladies, we support your right to have a voice now).

I'm happy to report that I'm an atheist now, and I don't have bouts with doubts like I used to when I was 'saved'. My parents still think of me as a Christian (because the bible says 'you can't be plucked from God's hand') even though I'm obviously not a believer, nor is it likely that I ever will be again.

I'm happy to read about your escape, Erxomai, and I'm so glad that I didn't have as much invested in my religion as you did. You had to sacrifice a lot more than I did.

Starcrash, I sure do appreciate your comments, and encouragement. We've had some similar hurdles to overcome.

I have seen the Clergy Project. I guess I'm in the process of signing up. They do a screening process to make sure you're a real person to keep the project safe and anonymous, but the guy I'm working with is as much a procrastinator as I am in answering emails.

The Sabbath thing is a hot button for me. I was a Seventh Day Baptist, which meant what you would think about most Baptists, only thinking that the Sabbath is supposed to still be observed (since as you point out, it's in the 10 Commandments). Good thing you never found them, that might have extended your God delusions longer like it did to me!

I do feel like I'm just kind of upchucking my life all over the forum. I guess it's helpful for me to write, but I hope to also be an encouragement for anyone else who might be a member or even an internet guest. I guess that part of Pastor Erxomai never went away. And I'm ok with that. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Technically that Holy Spirit stuff makes prophets out of all who come in contact with it. What many Christians fail to realize is that it ain't spirit that makes one holy, but rather was is done with the insight. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I start to sound repetitive but...

Dude...
You came a long way...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 3 users Like Observer's post
11-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Here is how far I've come...

In the summer of 2003 I gave a lecture to a group of college students taking an apologetics class.
I found the PowerPoint notes, but unfortunately, they don't have the details of the lecture notes, but even from these scant notes, you can certainly see the fallacies of the Christian mind trying to defend against Baby-eating Atheists.

I couldn't seem to figure out how to upload the slideshow to here. If it's of your prurient interest to see how naive I was, feel free do download it from here. I remember being quite proud of my PowerPoint skills and special effects! Big Grin

Pastor Erxomai's ironic lecture on Humanism

Interesting note: 2 months after I gave this lecture, I resigned from the ministry. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I lol''d. Big Grin

[Image: 2011-12-11_172926.png]

I mean, it's decent work (except for the part where there was two points, number one and number one Tongue) but we know this cat by now. Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-12-2011, 06:47 PM
(11-12-2011 06:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I mean, it's decent work (except for the part where there was two points, number one and number one Tongue) but we know this cat by now. Wink

Did you want a 3 point sermon or are you looking for your 4?

If this isn't embarrassing, then nothing is embarrassing.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 09:11 PM
(11-12-2011 06:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Did you want a 3 point sermon or are you looking for your 4?

Did you see the pics of me as ellenjanuary? I ain't shy. You got nuffink to be embarrassed about.

Iam4 You should know that line. Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-12-2011, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 09:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-12-2011 09:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 06:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Did you want a 3 point sermon or are you looking for your 4?

Did you see the pics of me as ellenjanuary? I ain't shy. You got nuffink to be embarrassed about.

You fuckers really need to meet ellenjanuary to understand and appreciate HoC. I've introduced her here once before, but here she is again. She's just fucking brilliant!

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah, that was kinda cheezy. Least I coulda done, hooked you up first. Big Grin

[Image: 2011-12-11_172926-1.png]

11-12-2011, 09:43 PM
(11-12-2011 09:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, that was kinda cheezy. Least I coulda done, hooked you up first. Big Grin

What? I fucking loved it, brother. Didn't seem cheesy to me at all, felt genuine. ... Albeit inebriated, drunken genuine ... but sometimes that's a requirement for genuine.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post