I was invited to a baptism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Three weeks ago I got an invite to a baptism for my cousin's daughter. She and her husband are both Catholic though they don't go to church (ever).

So when they suddenly decided to get their baby baptized (on short notice) in the Catholic Church my cousin grew up attending...the Church said "Okay, but our records show you haven't been to church in over ten years so if you want your child baptized here, you will have to do this, this and this. To which my cousin replied "Yeah, we don't have time for that and want to baptize our baby now." So they called around and found a Presbyterian Church that would take them on short notice and for a moderate donation, didn't seem to care about the fact that they weren't Presbyterian or members of the Church.

I guess I just found it weird that two (non-practicing) Catholics, who both act like they are so proud of their Catholicism would be like "We can't wait to have our daughter baptized a Catholic so that she will be saved and blessed...oh, you want us to actually attend church? Yeah we don't have time for that. We can't wait to have our daughter baptized a Presbyterian!"

I just think..."why bother?"

‹« In Science I Trust »›
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2013, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 11:40 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
RE: I was invited to a baptism...
Weird shit happened. See below!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-07-2013, 11:24 PM
The 2 most religious members of my family have probably been in a church less than once a year, and still got the kids baptized... It's actually pretty sad. I love them both dearly, but they're both closed-minded fools, surrounded by all my other family members who humor them in making the motions at the xmas and easter dinner table... But they don't get the community aspect of the church-going nuts.

Although... the occasional baptism or silly religious get-together can be a great time to get drunk and high with family.
16-07-2013, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 11:39 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(16-07-2013 11:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Given the circumstances you've outlined, I'd agree.

But do send a card.

I had my oldest baptized -- I put it off and buckled under the pressure when he was like two. I didn't bother with the second one. Of course my family all agreed that's why he got "the autism". Idiots.

How the fuck did I manage this?! I meant to just edit. D'oh!

16-07-2013, 11:36 PM
I did attend, it was this past weekend. Though I bought a blank card and wrote a generic non-religious message. I just can't bring myself to read through the religious cards to find a suitable one.

I guess I just feel...if your religion is important enough to you that you want to get your kid baptized, go the extra mile and get your kid baptized in your own religion. Otherwise it looks like they didn't put much effort into it.

‹« In Science I Trust »›
16-07-2013, 11:41 PM
To dip or not to dip. That is the question.
(William Shakespeare.)

Oh wait.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-07-2013, 11:42 PM
(16-07-2013 11:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  To dip or not to dip. That is the question.
(William Shakespeare.)

Oh wait.

I like dip.

16-07-2013, 11:43 PM
(16-07-2013 11:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 11:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  To dip or not to dip. That is the question.
(William Shakespeare.)

Oh wait.

I like dip.

Sour cream and onion is my fave. Drooling

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-07-2013, 11:47 PM
(16-07-2013 11:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 11:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I like dip.

Sour cream and onion is my fave. Drooling

Mmmm good dip. Yum. I made a caramelized onion and cream cheese dip that totally kicked ass!

16-07-2013, 11:48 PM
My mom begs me to baptize the kids, it's the most important thing to a Catholic because it's the only way into heaven. That's probably why getting it done quickly was so important to your cousin.