I was invited to a baptism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 12:06 AM
RE: I was invited to a baptism...
(16-07-2013 11:48 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My mom begs me to baptize the kids, it's the most important thing to a Catholic because it's the only way into heaven. That's probably why getting it done quickly was so important to your cousin.

I wasn't taught that. First communion and confirmation were the ticket to heaven. I was also taught that cafeteria Catholics all waited in purgatory. Not even the saints could intervene.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2013, 12:11 AM
(17-07-2013 12:06 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 11:48 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My mom begs me to baptize the kids, it's the most important thing to a Catholic because it's the only way into heaven. That's probably why getting it done quickly was so important to your cousin.

I wasn't taught that. First communion and confirmation were the ticket to heaven. I was also taught that cafeteria Catholics all waited in purgatory. Not even the saints could intervene.

I dunno. Mom says unless babies are baptised they cannot enter. They need to do the other stuff at appropriate times too, though.
17-07-2013, 12:18 AM
(17-07-2013 12:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 12:06 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wasn't taught that. First communion and confirmation were the ticket to heaven. I was also taught that cafeteria Catholics all waited in purgatory. Not even the saints could intervene.

I dunno. Mom says unless babies are baptised they cannot enter. They need to do the other stuff at appropriate times too, though.

Oh no. That changed in the late 60s. Babies (and saints) go straight to heaven, with or without baptism. Everyone else goes to purgatory...and waits.

Some believe that "good" Catholics can be prayed out purgatory.

But old habits and beliefs die hard, I know Catholics that still eat fish on Fridays.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Catholics have now become weirder in my mind. I now realize why even my religious friends make fun of them.

I went to my nieces baptism. Her and 2 other 13 yr old girls got dunked in a horse trough
[Image: Horse-trough-2_web.jpg]

It was a little creepy to see these young girls getting dunked while wearing bikini's and a wet t-shirt. As they all made some vow to god and family, it felt very cliquish.

"Like omg, Sara and Tiffany and I are going to be best friends forever. They have to like me now"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-07-2013, 06:25 AM
(17-07-2013 12:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 12:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I dunno. Mom says unless babies are baptised they cannot enter. They need to do the other stuff at appropriate times too, though.

Oh no. That changed in the late 60s. Babies (and saints) go straight to heaven, with or without baptism. Everyone else goes to purgatory...and waits.

But old habits and beliefs die hard, I know Catholics that still eat fish on Fridays.

And it was never about fish. It was about fasting - not eating meat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2013, 07:06 AM
(17-07-2013 12:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 12:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I dunno. Mom says unless babies are baptised they cannot enter. They need to do the other stuff at appropriate times too, though.

Baptism washes away original sin and clears the way for the other sacraments, you can't get Communion or Confirmation without it. I thought Baptism meant you become a member of the Church. Communion is receiving Christ's Body and Blood. And Confirmation is receiving the Holy Spirit.

People used to believe that unbaptized babies went to Limbo. Pope Benedict did away with the whole idea five or six years ago.

The whole "no meat on Fridays" is what made Fish on Fridays so popular. When my mother was little (in the 50s and 60s), no meat on Fridays was year round. Now people seem to only do it during Lent, believing that it's no longer required the rest of the year. But from what I've read...you're still not supposed to eat meat on ANY Friday...unless you substitute with another form of penance.

‹« In Science I Trust »›
17-07-2013, 08:44 AM
(16-07-2013 11:36 PM)jinun Wrote:  I did attend, it was this past weekend. Though I bought a blank card and wrote a generic non-religious message. I just can't bring myself to read through the religious cards to find a suitable one.

I guess I just feel...if your religion is important enough to you that you want to get your kid baptized, go the extra mile and get your kid baptized in your own religion. Otherwise it looks like they didn't put much effort into it.

You did the right thing though. I only say that because you are supporting a family member and sometimes, not all, it is for the best. I still attend church with my wife every now and then, to show her support (in return she has to watch atheist type video's lol). Sitting through the service blows, I want to start laughing most of the time. Anyways, I love my wife to death, and most endeavors I would support her on.