I was nuked in utero 15 times in Operation Teapot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2014, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 01:43 PM by sansdieux.)
I was nuked in utero 15 times in Operation Teapot
Operation Teapot was a series of 15 separate nuke (Federal Civil Defense) blasts at the Nevada Proving Grounds between February and May of 1955.

I just found out yesterday about this Operation by sheer accident, and it's freaking me out because I was conceived and born there, and no one has ever told me anything about it in all these years (what up fam?) despite the weirdness I've gone through since. I was conceived in January of 1955, and the nukes started in February and continued 15 times until summer, I was born in October, and then my native Californian parents moved back home to the Bay Area six weeks later. Yikegasms.

I really need to talk to someone and I have no idea where to start. I don't know how to deal with or even process this information (both parents are dead) but so many things are coming together now as a result of it, it's scaring the living daylights out of me.

~incrédulité~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
RE: I was nuked in utero 15 times in Operation Teapot
(11-12-2014 01:33 PM)sansdieux Wrote:  Operation Teapot was a series of 15 separate nuke (Federal Civil Defense) blasts at the Nevada Proving Grounds between February and May of 1955.

I just found out yesterday about this Operation by sheer accident, and it's freaking me out because I was conceived and born there, and no one has ever told me anything about it in all these years (what up fam?) despite the weirdness I've gone through since. I was conceived in January of 1955, and the nukes started in February and continued 15 times until summer, I was born in October, and then my native Californian parents moved back home to the Bay Area six weeks later. Yikegasms.

I really need to talk to someone and I have no idea where to start. I don't know how to deal with or even process this information (both parents are dead) but so many things are coming together now as a result of it, it's scaring the living daylights out of me.

I think it depended on which side of the nuke testing you lived on. If it was downwind of the site then you're ok but if you were upwind of the operation you might need to keep an eye on your health. I think we lived in Nevada for a short time in the late 1950's when I was a newborn baby but it was after the nuclear testing had stopped. (I think) I believe the California direction is the downwind side of things and East- North-East of the testing ground is upwind.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Relax, sansdieux. The devices used in Teapot were mostly low yield nukes. They did, however, release some high doses of iodine 131 [I-131] which can cause thyroid cancer. However, the odds of you getting thyroid cancer from those tests is very very small. Besides, thyroid cancer is very treatable if you do get it but at this stage, 60 years post event, it just isn't going to happen.

I got high doses of radiation as a kid [1954] and for many years I did thyroid self-exams. I quit doing them about 25 years ago because poking my own thyroid was BORING. My doc still watches my thyroid when I get my annual physical through blood tests but, like you, I'm never going to get thyroid cancer either.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
13-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks, so much! I feel better. I am calmer now that I've learned a little more, but what a mind-fuck trying to unring that monumental bell at my age! Yes, most of the fallout went northeast, and we were southeast, but the more I read the more I learn the monitoring and reporting of these tests were feckless at best. I'm OK, no cancer, no major illnesses, but I can't help wonder about my son and his future family, and whether to tell him about this, for that matter.

By the way, it's nice to be here among like minds, and to have somewhere to go when you think yours is being fucked!

~incrédulité~
13-12-2014, 10:21 AM
(11-12-2014 03:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think it depended on which side of the nuke testing you lived on. If it was downwind of the site then you're ok but if you were upwind of the operation you might need to keep an eye on your health.

I think you mean the opposite. Downwind means that you may be bombarded with fallout, whether from bombs or farts.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
13-12-2014, 12:16 PM
To lighten the mood a bit, i have to ask...

...Have you checked to see if you have acquired any superpowers?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
13-12-2014, 12:27 PM
(13-12-2014 10:21 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(11-12-2014 03:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think it depended on which side of the nuke testing you lived on. If it was downwind of the site then you're ok but if you were upwind of the operation you might need to keep an eye on your health.

I think you mean the opposite. Downwind means that you may be bombarded with fallout, whether from bombs or farts.

Yeah, I did mean that. I'm dumb sometimes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-12-2014, 04:11 PM
*Survived getting nuked as a fetus*

Bad. Ass.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
13-12-2014, 05:18 PM
(13-12-2014 12:16 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  To lighten the mood a bit, i have to ask...

...Have you checked to see if you have acquired any superpowers?

Funny you should ask... Superpowers? No. But I can fly... in my dreams. And weird things happen to me all the time. Serendipitous things. People tell me things all the time, and I don't know why. Personal stuff, stuff no one would tell a stranger or acquaintance. I can easily tell when someone is lying or is planning on lying. I have experienced precognition many times, some big things I want to keep to myself, and some during lucid dreaming, the latest a day before it happened last month. Example: As obtuse as it was, I dreamed of this huge, blue, broken bucket truck, you know, the type they use to hoist people up to change street lights, parked in front of an historical church across the street from me, and I wondered in my dream why there were no people operating it. The next day, sure enough, one appeared there, exactly where I had dreamed it, at the same angle to this church, and as many times as I looked out my window, I never saw any people operating it, until the last time I looked and it was gone. Just weird. People use that 'mysterious' word with me as much as they use 'sweet', and I have piercing blue eyes, but to me, I look and act just like everyone else. And yes, I'm rh negative, so I was told early on not to worry about cancer (really, no shit), which makes me think even harder about being a guinea pig for these Mengeles!

~incrédulité~
[+] 1 user Likes sansdieux's post
13-12-2014, 09:02 PM
(13-12-2014 02:16 AM)sansdieux Wrote:  I'm OK, no cancer, no major illnesses, but I can't help wonder about my son and his future family, and whether to tell him about this, for that matter.

You can tell him or not tell him as you wish. Your son is almost certainly in no danger because of your exposure.

What happens when you get "nuked" is that the radiation, usually gamma rays, rip electrons off atoms in your cells. If you are going to get cancer, it happens usually within 5-20 years after your exposure. Scientists [including my late father] tried irradiating lab animals with huge doses of ionizing radiation and then testing their progeny to see if the cellular damage was genetic. Some, but not all, lab animals did pass the cell damage on to their offspring. HOWEVER, it has never happened with humans. The children of the people who were nuked at Hiroshima did not pass the cellular damage on to their children. If you even had any cellular damage from the Teapot tests, which I doubt, it is very unlikely that it was passed on to your son.

But, being rh negative does not protect you from cancer. My wife is rh negative and she's had two different kinds of breast cancer. We just passed the five year mark post surgery and she is NED [No Evidence of Disease].

Nuclear decay is a fascinating thing. I got to spend a day running around Chernobyl with a dosimeter in November, 2011 and it was one of the best times I've ever had. Two years later I got prostate cancer and had my prostate cut out. Big Grin It almost certainly was NOT related to my Chernobyl trip which is too bad. I would have loved to have been able to say I got the Big "C" in Chernobyl. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post