I was presented with this argument by a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I was presented with this argument by a Christian
" If Jesus wasn't divine, then where did Paul's revelation come from?" By that logic, Islam and Mormonism are also true.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lawls's post
21-11-2013, 06:27 PM
RE: I was presented with this argument by a Christian
(21-11-2013 06:24 PM)Lawls Wrote:  " If Jesus wasn't divine, then where did Paul's revelation come from?" By that logic, Islam and Mormonism are also true.

I believe that Paul was insane by the time he had his Apocalypse. About 14 years in Roman prison can do that to you.
[+] 1 user Likes C²L's post
21-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Is this someone you; work with, are related to, or otherwise *have* to continue communication with?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
21-11-2013, 06:43 PM
(21-11-2013 06:31 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Is this someone you; work with, are related to, or otherwise *have* to continue communication with?
Thankfully, no.
21-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Love how they start an argument on the basis the Bible is infallible truth, even when they are arguing whether the bible is true.

This is the same reason why Theist think Jesus intervened in their "lost car Keys" incidents.
They are dismissive of the fact their own subconscious could feed them useful of crazy information.

Voice in the head is always God unless its not useful information, undesirable thoughts are relegated to "born in sin" or satan.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
21-11-2013, 08:09 PM
(21-11-2013 08:04 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Love how they start an argument on the basis the Bible is infallible truth, even when they are arguing whether the bible is true.

This is the same reason why Theist think Jesus intervened in their "lost car Keys" incidents.
They are dismissive of the fact their own subconscious could feed them useful of crazy information.

Voice in the head is always God unless its not useful information, undesirable thoughts are relegated to "born in sin" or satan.

Circular reasoning is what Christian Theists do bestThumbsup. Also, when you look into it, the secular evidence for the Biblical apostle Paul is almost as slim as the secular evidence for a historical Jesus.
26-11-2013, 02:25 AM
(21-11-2013 06:24 PM)Lawls Wrote:  " If Jesus wasn't divine, then where did Paul's revelation come from?" By that logic, Islam and Mormonism are also true.

If you cannot examine Paul's revelation then it is not evidence. Evidence is always something that can be examined. Unless the revelation occurs to you, you cannot examine it, and therefore it is not evidence but at best an anecdote.
26-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Saul of tarsus' revelation came from his own delusions based roughly on stories (Chinese whispers) and myth.
Add to that he was just a nasty person. It's a pathetic groping at straws.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-11-2013, 06:54 AM
(21-11-2013 06:24 PM)Lawls Wrote:  " If Jesus wasn't divine, then where did Paul's revelation come from?"

Processing simultaneity. There's a quote I paraphrase from Andy Thompson's "Why People Believe in Gods" vid - in times of extreme stress, brain simulates Agency in mind to preserve functionality of mind. In this case, acausal perception; when the hack works, sometimes a prophet results, when it doesn't, what forms is another ward for the loony bin. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2013, 08:30 AM
(26-11-2013 02:25 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

If you cannot examine Paul's revelation then it is not evidence. Evidence is always something that can be examined. Unless the revelation occurs to you, you cannot examine it, and therefore it is not evidence but at best an anecdote.

I would propose that even if you experience a "revelation" that one should be skeptical of scumbag brain Thumbsup Most people I've spoken to get their "revelations" in dreams which I wouldn't exactly call a good and trustworthy way to guide your life. I was a ninja in a dream once. Woke up, fun dream, but I didn't feel the need to change my life around it and become a ninja.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post