I watched Seven Pounds last night.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I watched Seven Pounds last night.
What a great movie. I nearly cried a few times during it. Really tugs at your heartstrings.

What's silly to me is that 85% of the country believes that Will Smith's character Ben (Tim) Thomas will go to hell. The man drastically changes the lives of 7 people for the better. Gives them gifts that even the 'Good Lord' didn't give and he goes to hell.

Make sense? I think not.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 12:50 PM
RE: I watched Seven Pounds last night.
I loved that movie. I was guessing the whole time but did not figure it out until right towards the end. One of the better movies I have seen in the last few years.

*unintentional spoiler alert*
The topic of suicide is one of the main topics that caused me to realize that A) personal interpretations of a religious text are dangerous and B) literal interpretations are about as factual as Mickey Mouse.

I attended a youth group service my senior year of high school (because the girl I was dating at the time wanted me too). I can only remember one sermon (the rest were typical forgettable BS). This 1 sermon was life-changing...but not in the way the youth minister intended. He stood up in front of a bunch of teenagers and told us he was mad at his grandmother. Not upset...not miffed...not slightly disgruntled...but mad. "How can you be mad at your grandmother?" was my first question and then he made the mistake of continuing to open his mouth and spew forth more ignorance. He was mad at his grandmother because she committed suicide and therefore neither he nor his family would ever see her again because she was in hell. That's right. He was mad because she killed herself. But wait...it gets worse because yet again he opened his mouth and spewed forth even more idiocy. She was severely depressed but sought out help. The doctors gave her anti-depressant medication and she began to get better. Thinking she was in fact cured, she stopped taking the medication, fell into a sever state of depression and then jumped off of a bridge. And this asshat was standing in front of a bunch of teenagers telling us she was in hell and that he was mad because HE would never see her again. Despite the fact that she was clinically depressed and was obviously seeking help, her being in hell was her fault. I was so fucking pissed after that sermon. That single sermon caused me to realize the bible is bullshit and personal interpretations are bullshit. So, I suppose I should thank him for making me an atheist but it is assholes like that guy that breed fear and hate in young minds....fucking asshat.

Evolve
06-12-2011, 02:07 PM
(06-12-2011 12:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I loved that movie. I was guessing the whole time but did not figure it out until right towards the end. One of the better movies I have seen in the last few years.

*unintentional spoiler alert*
The topic of suicide is one of the main topics that caused me to realize that A) personal interpretations of a religious text are dangerous and B) literal interpretations are about as factual as Mickey Mouse.

I attended a youth group service my senior year of high school (because the girl I was dating at the time wanted me too). I can only remember one sermon (the rest were typical forgettable BS). This 1 sermon was life-changing...but not in the way the youth minister intended. He stood up in front of a bunch of teenagers and told us he was mad at his grandmother. Not upset...not miffed...not slightly disgruntled...but mad. "How can you be mad at your grandmother?" was my first question and then he made the mistake of continuing to open his mouth and spew forth more ignorance. He was mad at his grandmother because she committed suicide and therefore neither he nor his family would ever see her again because she was in hell. That's right. He was mad because she killed herself. But wait...it gets worse because yet again he opened his mouth and spewed forth even more idiocy. She was severely depressed but sought out help. The doctors gave her anti-depressant medication and she began to get better. Thinking she was in fact cured, she stopped taking the medication, fell into a sever state of depression and then jumped off of a bridge. And this asshat was standing in front of a bunch of teenagers telling us she was in hell and that he was mad because HE would never see her again. Despite the fact that she was clinically depressed and was obviously seeking help, her being in hell was her fault. I was so fucking pissed after that sermon. That single sermon caused me to realize the bible is bullshit and personal interpretations are bullshit. So, I suppose I should thank him for making me an atheist but it is assholes like that guy that breed fear and hate in young minds....fucking asshat.

The issue of suicide and hell first hit me when I watched What Dreams May Come. Here is a woman so overcome with grief from the loss of her husband and kids that she feels she can't go on. She takes her own life and winds up in hell.

Another great movie BTW if you haven't seen it. Great visuals.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I have not seen that one. I will pencil that one down.

Evolve
06-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I watched it, but I don't remember much except I liked it.

@TheBearderDude

It's sad the mindset that people manage to wrap themselves into.
07-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Believe it or not I never even heard of Seven Pounds until yesterday when I saw this thread. Watched it last night. Wow.

Just visiting.

-SR
07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
(07-12-2011 07:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Believe it or not I never even heard of Seven Pounds until yesterday when I saw this thread. Watched it last night. Wow.

Damn good movie. I'm def getting a box jellyfish one day.

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 05:42 PM
(07-12-2011 08:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 07:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Believe it or not I never even heard of Seven Pounds until yesterday when I saw this thread. Watched it last night. Wow.

Also just saw the movie, and yeah. wow.

I'm so much NOT going to get a box jellyfish. That didn’t look very niceConfused btw why the icy water? Faster spreading of poison? Slow 911 responses so better cool the body? I don't know anything about poisons, but wouldn’t whatever-poison-jellyfishes-use "corrupt" the heart making it unusable for a transplant?
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
(07-12-2011 05:42 PM)Jakel Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 08:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

Also just saw the movie, and yeah. wow.

I'm so much NOT going to get a box jellyfish. That didn’t look very niceConfused btw why the icy water? Faster spreading of poison? Slow 911 responses so better cool the body? I don't know anything about poisons, but wouldn’t whatever-poison-jellyfishes-use "corrupt" the heart making it unusable for a transplant?

I believe that the ice was just to preserve the organs in case it took a while for the ambulance/coroner to get there. And the jellyfish was probably better than other methods. Gun shot could have damaged the eyes, wrist cutting could have damaged all the organs, pills could have destroyed the liver/heart. I guess the poison was the way to go and preserve the important organs.

-Mark Twain
10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
well i'm no suicide expert, but I have always been told that a gun in your mouth is idiotproof and is as painless as it gets.