I watched a man die today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 12:50 AM
I watched a man die today...
One of the first things that happened this morning. An older couple checked in their daughter's car for service, their daughter was a teacher at a school at the military fort nearby, doing a favor for her. They were just going to wait for the work to be done, they cracked a couple jokes as my coworker took their information and we directed them to have a seat in the lobby on the other side of the showroom. Cute old couple.

About twenty minutes passed and suddenly the wife was calling out for us to call for an ambulance, the husband was having some sort of trouble. We complied and went over to see what was going on, she said he had complained that he felt like he was going to pass out. She went to get him some water and when she returned he was unconscious in his chair and unresponsive. Every now and then he would make a loud snoring noise but other than that he was just gone.

We all kind of stood around....not knowing what to do while we waited for the paramedics to show up. He was still breathing but just sitting there out cold...we all grasped the seriousness of what was happening but we were all powerless to really do anything...as his poor wife just stood by his side with the same sort of face we all were making...I think she knew what was up as well or even better than we did. We were told by the operator on the line to get him on his back, so I took one side while two other guys grabbed the other and we hefted him out of the chair and got him to the ground....I just remember as we lifted him his eyes half opened and were rolled back into his head and he made that awful snoring noise again. I was adjusting his legs as the paramedics rolled up.

They set up shop and started working, I guess he was in worse shape than we thought because they started chest compressions right away. I got busy working to clear the lot of vehicles that might be in the way just to make any difference I could to make things easier. I was moving a car when they started shocking him so I missed that part of the excitement, they were still pumping on his chest as they loaded him into the ambulance and headed off.

An officer came by later on to inform us that he hadn't pulled through....not that it was unexpected news, but still a bummer to hear.

It kinda put a damper on the day, if you can imagine. I'm still rolling around in my brain. I've seen plenty of already dead and gone bodies all dressed up for the final sendoff, but this is the first time I watched somebody die in it's ugly grittiness and unexpectedness. I guess on the positive side it didn't seem to me that he was in any pain (of course we don't know if he was or wasn't), but he just lost consciousness and never came out of it. Such a surreal thing to witness, I don't know exactly how I feel about it.

No real reason for this thread....just something that happened and I've been somberly pondering and I figured getting it down and out here would help me clear my mind a bit....

So how was your day?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-12-2015, 12:53 AM
RE: I watched a man die today...
How are you mate?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
(03-12-2015 12:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  One of the first things that happened this morning. An older couple checked in their daughter's car for service, their daughter was a teacher at a school at the military fort nearby, doing a favor for her. They were just going to wait for the work to be done, they cracked a couple jokes as my coworker took their information and we directed them to have a seat in the lobby on the other side of the showroom. Cute old couple.

About twenty minutes passed and suddenly the wife was calling out for us to call for an ambulance, the husband was having some sort of trouble. We complied and went over to see what was going on, she said he had complained that he felt like he was going to pass out. She went to get him some water and when she returned he was unconscious in his chair and unresponsive. Every now and then he would make a loud snoring noise but other than that he was just gone.

We all kind of stood around....not knowing what to do while we waited for the paramedics to show up. He was still breathing but just sitting there out cold...we all grasped the seriousness of what was happening but we were all powerless to really do anything...as his poor wife just stood by his side with the same sort of face we all were making...I think she knew what was up as well or even better than we did. We were told by the operator on the line to get him on his back, so I took one side while two other guys grabbed the other and we hefted him out of the chair and got him to the ground....I just remember as we lifted him his eyes half opened and were rolled back into his head and he made that awful snoring noise again. I was adjusting his legs as the paramedics rolled up.

They set up shop and started working, I guess he was in worse shape than we thought because they started chest compressions right away. I got busy working to clear the lot of vehicles that might be in the way just to make any difference I could to make things easier. I was moving a car when they started shocking him so I missed that part of the excitement, they were still pumping on his chest as they loaded him into the ambulance and headed off.

An officer came by later on to inform us that he hadn't pulled through....not that it was unexpected news, but still a bummer to hear.

It kinda put a damper on the day, if you can imagine. I'm still rolling around in my brain. I've seen plenty of already dead and gone bodies all dressed up for the final sendoff, but this is the first time I watched somebody die in it's ugly grittiness and unexpectedness. I guess on the positive side it didn't seem to me that he was in any pain (of course we don't know if he was or wasn't), but he just lost consciousness and never came out of it. Such a surreal thing to witness, I don't know exactly how I feel about it.

No real reason for this thread....just something that happened and I've been somberly pondering and I figured getting it down and out here would help me clear my mind a bit....

So how was your day?

Not as suck ass as your day.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
(03-12-2015 12:53 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How are you mate?

Okay. I'm not shaken too easily, but this was a first, you know?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
03-12-2015, 12:57 AM
(03-12-2015 12:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  

I found a dead body once.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-12-2015, 01:02 AM
(03-12-2015 12:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay. I'm not shaken too easily, but this was a first, you know?

I found a dead body once.

At least I knew what was happening...that's gotta really fuck with your mind.

I'm off to bed, been a really long day. You guys have a good night.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-12-2015, 01:04 AM
(03-12-2015 01:02 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I found a dead body once.

At least I knew what was happening...that's gotta really fuck with your mind.

I'm off to bed, been a really long day. You guys have a good night.

It does. Hug again.

Good night sweetie.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-12-2015, 01:14 AM
(03-12-2015 12:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Yeah mate, I know. Get some sleep. Sleepy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-12-2015, 01:22 AM
Hug
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
03-12-2015, 01:39 AM
It is a sobering experience and resuscitation is never a nice thing to do or watch, even more so with loved ones.

It can be quite hard hitting and its quite difficult to fathom how much death happens every day on the planet.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post