I watched a man die today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 03:46 AM
RE: I watched a man die today...
Whatever your personal views are on the vagaries of life, seeing somebody actually die can be an extremely disconcerting experience, one that points up just how fragile our grip on life really is. It's also difficult not be mentally affected by the strong emotional vibes from the distressed partner of the deceased.

Hopefully you're feeling okay today my friend. Hug

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like SYZ's post
03-12-2015, 04:24 AM
First time you see that is a bit unsettling. Before I took my first CPR class (about a year before I started nursing school) I saw something similar happen. We were at a party when the downstairs neighbor yelled for help. We didn't know what to do besides call 911 and the guy died. He turned purple but he was still "kinda breathing." Maybe he had a heart attack, maybe a PE. But he was fine working on a hot water heater one minute, and then just collapsed.

You were witnessing agonal respirations with those snoring sounds. Those are a pretty good indication to start chest compressions. CPR hurts (you'll break ribs). If you initiate CPR and the person is fine, don't worry, they'll stop you. They've even eliminated checking for a pulse because it's easy for non-healthcare providers to confuse their own pulse in their finger for the victim's (it's easy for healthcare providers to do, also. I check radial and pedal pulses on all of my patients throughout my shift and use a Doppler when I'm not sure if it's theirs or mine, something I only have access to at work, and something that would take too long if I were doing a pulse check for a code).

The American Heart Association offers Basic Life Support classes. You will learn how to perform CPR on infants, children, and adults, and how to use an AED. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have an AED at your place of employment. The sooner high quality chest compressions are initiated and a shockable rhythm is defibrillated, the greater that person's chance of survival. Most of the time if CPR is not initiated until EMS arrives, it's too late. They'll call it as soon as they arrive to the ED when the doc asks EMS "estimated down time prior to compressions?" "About ten minutes." That's ten minutes without blood flow carrying oxygen to your brain. I wouldn't want to be resuscitated after being down that long.

Healthy kids drown in neighborhood pools and they choke on food in restaurants. People have heart attacks even in their twenties. It's a useful skill to know.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 8 users Like Nurse's post
03-12-2015, 04:53 AM
I get scared shitless when my mom has problems. I've only seen my grandparents in caskets. I have never seen anyone die in front of me, but I did have a prior cat die in front of me. I am sure it wasn't easy even when it is a stranger. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
03-12-2015, 05:29 AM
(03-12-2015 04:53 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I get scared shitless when my mom has problems. I've only seen my grandparents in caskets. I have never seen anyone die in front of me, but I did have a prior cat die in front of me. I am sure it wasn't easy even when it is a stranger. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

It can be disconcerting. I lost many ward mates while 10 months on a cancer ward.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Sorry man. That is just one of those things you can't unsee. I saw a car accident 2 years ago. The guy rear ended a dump truck right in front of me as I was in the turn lane. The crazy thing is that I looked right into his eyes after the impact and he was laying with his head back on the headrest. I thought that he was just dazed and I found out later he was killed. I can still see him staring at me just as cleanly as if it happened this morning. The strange thing is that I am not sure whether I would have even remembered it if he hadn't died. I can't imagine how Nurse or Banjo deal with it when it either happens frequently and/or you knew them. Makes me hug my kids even tighter.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
03-12-2015, 06:37 AM
Sorry to hear that. I don't care how tough you think you are, that has to shake you. We cling to life for a reason, it's instinctive. Watching someone die has to be sobering. I'm happy to say I've never seen it. Here's to keeping my streak going.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
03-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Hug

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
03-12-2015, 06:59 AM
One minute joking around, the next unconscious - if I had my druthers, I'd happily pick that death for myself.

For some reason we get much more shocked at a sudden death than we do at a long, protracted one. It's the sudden ones that win the final lottery, really.

When I was a teen I was walking on a busy street and a man walking in front of me just collapsed and was dead. Scared the shit outta me. But - he never knew. I would think that much preferable now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 9 users Like Dom's post
03-12-2015, 07:19 AM
(03-12-2015 06:37 AM)BnW Wrote:  Sorry to hear that. I don't care how tough you think you are, that has to shake you. We cling to life for a reason, it's instinctive. Watching someone die has to be sobering. I'm happy to say I've never seen it. Here's to keeping my streak going.

I once saw a pigeon hit by a car and killed, Later I walked by and there were lots of pigeons sitting on power lines just staring at the corpse!

Lots meaning about 10 or so.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
You made the best of what knowledge you had in a situation where most normal(ish) people are frozen in place. In that regards, at least you learned something about yourself. Most people don't know what they'd do in an emergency situation, and when it happens most don't live up to their own expectations they create for themselves.

It's interesting to me, the kinds of things that solidify themselves into your memory. One death I experienced involved a guy getting shot through the femoral artery, and he had almost no reaction like you'd expect. He immediately, but quite casually, walked over to a nearby window ledge, propped himself against it half sitting like it was a little bench, expressionless, still chewing his gum, and then nothing. The only sign that his life was slipping away was that he was still chewing the gum, just slower and slower, until he stopped. Other than that, he was motionless. Strangest thing. Maybe I'm just nuts, but I often wonder how I'll look to people around me as I go, however it happens, and what part of that last moment will stick in their minds.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post