I watched a man die today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
RE: I watched a man die today...
An incident like that will have you re-examining your life.

I feel bad for his wife.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-12-2015, 08:23 AM
It's part of life. If you never see anyone die -- it's probably because you died too young.

I've seen more than a few dead people. Two were bad -- froze to death.

The worst I saw killed - was pretty much right in front of me. A guy in a car parked illegally at a downtown intersection. A semi-truck coming around the same corner he was parked on, turning right --- the truck cut it too close - and the back, passengers side wheels of the trailer went up over the car, stopping directly over the driver of the car. Fortunately, the body of the trailer blocked the worst of the view. I was sitting at the stoplight when it happened (the truck was making a legal, turn on right turn) -- I simply drove off -- and called 911. There wasn't anything I could do for anyone. Stupid 911 dispatcher kept asking for an address..... "It's right downtown at the main light -- it's the car with the semi parked on top -- dumbass..."

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-12-2015, 08:33 AM
(03-12-2015 12:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  An officer came by later on to inform us that he hadn't pulled through....not that it was unexpected news, but still a bummer to hear.

It kinda put a damper on the day, if you can imagine. I'm still rolling around in my brain. I've seen plenty of already dead and gone bodies all dressed up for the final sendoff, but this is the first time I watched somebody die in it's ugly grittiness and unexpectedness. I guess on the positive side it didn't seem to me that he was in any pain (of course we don't know if he was or wasn't), but he just lost consciousness and never came out of it. Such a surreal thing to witness, I don't know exactly how I feel about it.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-12-2015, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 10:48 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Most likely he was passed. That snoring noise was air leaving his lungs from him being moved. I've heard that sound a lot working in alzheimers care. I'm sorry you had to witness that *hugs*
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
03-12-2015, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 10:01 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Oops double
03-12-2015, 08:59 AM
(03-12-2015 06:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  One minute joking around, the next unconscious - if I had my druthers, I'd happily pick that death for myself.

For some reason we get much more shocked at a sudden death than we do at a long, protracted one. It's the sudden ones that win the final lottery, really.

When I was a teen I was walking on a busy street and a man walking in front of me just collapsed and was dead. Scared the shit outta me. But - he never knew. I would think that much preferable now.

I'm with you, Dom... I would prefer my demise to be short & sweet. Shy

About 2 years ago, an older couple of pals of my mom's (Tom & Francis) were preparing breakfast together and happily chatting away in the little kitchen of the home they built together and lived in for 60 years. They had just settled into their seats across from each other when Francis, gently moved her bowl of oatmeal into the middle of the table and laid her head down on her hands on the table in front of her. Tom thought she might be joking that the oatmeal was too boring to eat or indicating she wanted to go back to bed - he didn't really know what was going on. He said her name a couple of times but she didn't answer. He went around the table but she wasn't breathing. He called 911 and just held her til someone came. He later said that she died "her way" - they had evidently discussed it.

I kind of think Tom wished he would have gotten a little warning so he could say goodbye but I also think he felt relieved that it wasn't more of an ordeal. Relieved for himself and relieved for Francis - he was glad she did it "her way".

Relfecting on Francis' demise has caused me to rethink my prefered scenario of being eaten by a tiger, lion or some big cat. I now think it would be ok to be with someone when it happens, as long as it doesn't cause anyone too much stress.

If I'm with anyone at my death, I want them to know: hey, I'm becoming dead, it's really ok, I loved living but I'm done now, love what you have left of your life. Shy

Consider Maybe I should have that printed on all my clothing to wear everyday in my later years. If you're lucky, you never know when it's gonna hit.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
03-12-2015, 10:35 AM
I watched a man die today...
I was with my father when we told them to turn the machines off. It is gritty and opens your eyes. I wish it was like on TV where as soon as the machine is off they have their last breath and peacefully go.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
03-12-2015, 01:31 PM
When I was 15 my dad went into hospital because he had a blood clog in his leg. They decided to go in to open the clot up and part of the treatment was to give him Warfarin to thin his blood. When we were leaving visiting him my dad complained of having a headache, so my mum said we would wait with him and called a nurse. He had a brain haemorrhage and just died. I was in shock throughout the whole time at the hospital and it wasn't until I got home and we went into the front room and our dog Jip, a Jack Russel was lay looking broken in my Dads empty chair, like he knew my dad had died, that it actually hit me.

11 months later I found my mum in bed after taking an overdose. When you ring the 999 emergency services they will try to advise you on how to perform CPR but I had done it at school and knew how to do it, the only thing I didn't know that they advised me to do was to open my front door before doing resuscitation, so the paramedics could just come straight in. It was the longest 3-4 minutes of my life till they turned up and I kind of knew she was dead. Ringing my brother and sister to ask them to come around and telling them was easily the saddest thing ive ever had to do.

And that's what it is... part of life. As grim or emotional as it may be there is no stopping it. I think that is what has strongly formed my philosophy of Nihilism, being shown that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. As much a cushioned and relatively comfortable life we lead in the western world, nothing prepares for the finality of death.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 7 users Like bemore's post
03-12-2015, 03:34 PM
(03-12-2015 01:31 PM)bemore Wrote:  When I was 15 my dad went into hospital because he had a blood clog in his leg. They decided to go in to open the clot up and part of the treatment was to give him Warfarin to thin his blood. When we were leaving visiting him my dad complained of having a headache, so my mum said we would wait with him and called a nurse. He had a brain haemorrhage and just died. I was in shock throughout the whole time at the hospital and it wasn't until I got home and we went into the front room and our dog Jip, a Jack Russel was lay looking broken in my Dads empty chair, like he knew my dad had died, that it actually hit me.

11 months later I found my mum in bed after taking an overdose. When you ring the 999 emergency services they will try to advise you on how to perform CPR but I had done it at school and knew how to do it, the only thing I didn't know that they advised me to do was to open my front door before doing resuscitation, so the paramedics could just come straight in. It was the longest 3-4 minutes of my life till they turned up and I kind of knew she was dead. Ringing my brother and sister to ask them to come around and telling them was easily the saddest thing ive ever had to do.

And that's what it is... part of life. As grim or emotional as it may be there is no stopping it. I think that is what has strongly formed my philosophy of Nihilism, being shown that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. As much a cushioned and relatively comfortable life we lead in the western world, nothing prepares for the finality of death.

Goddamn.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-12-2015, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 10:25 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-12-2015 12:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  One of the first things that happened this morning. An older couple checked in their daughter's car for service, their daughter was a teacher at a school at the military fort nearby, doing a favor for her. They were just going to wait for the work to be done, they cracked a couple jokes as my coworker took their information and we directed them to have a seat in the lobby on the other side of the showroom. Cute old couple.

About twenty minutes passed and suddenly the wife was calling out for us to call for an ambulance, the husband was having some sort of trouble. We complied and went over to see what was going on, she said he had complained that he felt like he was going to pass out. She went to get him some water and when she returned he was unconscious in his chair and unresponsive. Every now and then he would make a loud snoring noise but other than that he was just gone.

We all kind of stood around....not knowing what to do while we waited for the paramedics to show up. He was still breathing but just sitting there out cold...we all grasped the seriousness of what was happening but we were all powerless to really do anything...as his poor wife just stood by his side with the same sort of face we all were making...I think she knew what was up as well or even better than we did. We were told by the operator on the line to get him on his back, so I took one side while two other guys grabbed the other and we hefted him out of the chair and got him to the ground....I just remember as we lifted him his eyes half opened and were rolled back into his head and he made that awful snoring noise again. I was adjusting his legs as the paramedics rolled up.

They set up shop and started working, I guess he was in worse shape than we thought because they started chest compressions right away. I got busy working to clear the lot of vehicles that might be in the way just to make any difference I could to make things easier. I was moving a car when they started shocking him so I missed that part of the excitement, they were still pumping on his chest as they loaded him into the ambulance and headed off.

An officer came by later on to inform us that he hadn't pulled through....not that it was unexpected news, but still a bummer to hear.

It kinda put a damper on the day, if you can imagine. I'm still rolling around in my brain. I've seen plenty of already dead and gone bodies all dressed up for the final sendoff, but this is the first time I watched somebody die in it's ugly grittiness and unexpectedness. I guess on the positive side it didn't seem to me that he was in any pain (of course we don't know if he was or wasn't), but he just lost consciousness and never came out of it. Such a surreal thing to witness, I don't know exactly how I feel about it.

No real reason for this thread....just something that happened and I've been somberly pondering and I figured getting it down and out here would help me clear my mind a bit....

So how was your day?

That's too bad (for you) as it was a shock ...
but he probably had a stroke ... from the symptoms I'd guess it was hemorrhagic, (he bled into his brain from a major artery, or blew an aneurysm ... they often 'blow out" a pupil). He was a lucky man. Went fast, in the company of his wife and surrounded by people who cared for him, instead of a lingering long hospital course, that in the end would have ended the same way.
You done good to be a caring presence. That's all you could have done ... or anyone could have done.
(Even the best neurosurgeon in the world can't fix a catostrophic non-survivable brain bleed).

*pats on back*

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post