I watched a man die today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 04:13 PM
RE: I watched a man die today...
(03-12-2015 04:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's too bad (for you) as it was a shock ...
but he probably had a stroke ... from the symptoms I'd guess it was hemorrhagic, (he bled into his brain from a major artery, or blew an aneurysm ... they often 'blow out" a pupil). He was a lucky man. Went fast, in the company of his wife and surrounded by people who cared for him, instead of a lingering long hospital course, that in the end would have ended the same way.
You done good to be a caring presence. That's all you could have done ... or anyone could have done.

*pats on back*

Ha - I suck at therapeutic communication. I need to use that in the future - that would work for me.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
03-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Man that must have been awful Hug you doing ok?

Do you think your company would be willing to comp the cost of those repairs? I bet it would make a lot of the folks there who witnessed this tragedy feel better, and could be a very touching gesture to the family.

That poor family. I can't imagine having my dad come do me a favor like that and die in the process. No right in the middle of the holidays..

Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
03-12-2015, 06:53 PM
(03-12-2015 06:06 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Man that must have been awful Hug you doing ok?

Do you think your company would be willing to comp the cost of those repairs? I bet it would make a lot of the folks there who witnessed this tragedy feel better, and could be a very touching gesture to the family.

That poor family. I can't imagine having my dad come do me a favor like that and die in the process. No right in the middle of the holidays..

Hug

Thanks. I'm doing just fine though. It was just recall work we did, so there was no charge anyway. Yeah, I feel awful for the family, especially his wife who watched it all too. At least she was with him though.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
03-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Just a little over a year ago I was walking down the beach here in the Dominican Republic with my best male friend. e were both sixty eight years old. We came to where a small river dumps into the ocean and there is a foot bridge that one can cross instead of wading thru the current of the river. I always prefer to take the bridge, Bob (Who liked to be called Bobble) usually preferred to wade thru the river which was only about 20 steps to cross, and about knee deep. But that day Bob said he was feeling tired and why didn't we cross the bridge, so we did. On the bridge were 3 young ladies who were of the type who usually work at night, but were enjoying the beach, "How are you gentlemen doing?" they asked in Spanish of course. I showed them my wedding ring and said I am married thanks anyway girls. "We aren't wanting to marry anyone, just looking for a bit of fun. Prostitution is totally legal here and we (retired Americans) are their natural prey. After crossing the bridge Bob was still tired so we sat on a log for 20 minutes and talked me translating for Bob and the girls since he didn't do Spanish and none of them spoke English. I then turned to Bob and asked if he was ready to go on. As I looked at him I saw that his lips were blue. He looked at me and said "I'm not going anywhere, ever again." and fell forward dead. Heart attack! The girl on the far side of him grabbed his head and tried to kiss him awake, the one in the cnter stood up, waved her arms in the air and screamed, and the one on the other side of me pulled out her cell phone and called her brother who is in the police here. Cops arrove in about 10 minutes and slid his body onto a beach lounger and into the back of their pick up and off to the hospital although there was no doubt he was dead. Except for funerals that is the closest I have ever been to death.
[+] 4 users Like DerFish's post
04-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Wow DerF, I think Bobble was happy to be with his friend near the beach one last time. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-12-2015, 08:45 AM
You know something though, that's sort of how I'd like to go, suddenly but without pain. The worst kind of deaths are the ones that take weeks or months or even years where the person and their family know it's coming and it just kind of haunts every moment and everything they do until it finally comes. When it's my time I hope it's just a normal day, out running errands in the morning, dead by the afternoon, no fuss.

Anyhow still a tough day I'm sure, hang in there.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-12-2015, 08:47 AM
OP, I am sorry you had to go though that. It is a helpless feeling for sure.
Hug

(03-12-2015 01:31 PM)bemore Wrote:  When I was 15 my dad went into hospital because he had a blood clog in his leg. They decided to go in to open the clot up and part of the treatment was to give him Warfarin to thin his blood. When we were leaving visiting him my dad complained of having a headache, so my mum said we would wait with him and called a nurse. He had a brain haemorrhage and just died. I was in shock throughout the whole time at the hospital and it wasn't until I got home and we went into the front room and our dog Jip, a Jack Russel was lay looking broken in my Dads empty chair, like he knew my dad had died, that it actually hit me.

11 months later I found my mum in bed after taking an overdose. When you ring the 999 emergency services they will try to advise you on how to perform CPR but I had done it at school and knew how to do it, the only thing I didn't know that they advised me to do was to open my front door before doing resuscitation, so the paramedics could just come straight in. It was the longest 3-4 minutes of my life till they turned up and I kind of knew she was dead. Ringing my brother and sister to ask them to come around and telling them was easily the saddest thing ive ever had to do.

And that's what it is... part of life. As grim or emotional as it may be there is no stopping it. I think that is what has strongly formed my philosophy of Nihilism, being shown that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. As much a cushioned and relatively comfortable life we lead in the western world, nothing prepares for the finality of death.
So sorry man. I fell on hard times at that age, and my dad died in my arms later on. I posted about it in a thread.
Hug
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
04-12-2015, 08:54 AM
*hugs*

I'm sorry for you and that poor wife. I hope she's doing ok.

I've witnessed 3 deaths, 2 up close during my ambulance clinicals (one was messy...ended up deciding EMT wasn't for me), and 1 recently at my favorite coffee shop.

Older man suddenly felt cold and lightheaded, similar to your situation. I stayed to comfort the wife while waiting for the paramedics, reassuring her that I had some EMT training, just wasn't certified. The barista gave him orange juice, said he felt a little better. He was still conscious when they picked him up so I thought he'd have a good prognosis...later learned he passed away from complications with his diabetes later that day. One of the ladies at the coffee shop knew the husband and wife, so I was able to send flowers...was really sad all around Sad

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
04-12-2015, 12:54 PM
(03-12-2015 07:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I once saw a pigeon hit by a car and killed, Later I walked by and there were lots of pigeons sitting on power lines just staring at the corpse!

I've seen this with bush cockatoos if one of them is killed by the roadside. It's kinda depressing and uplifting at the same time.

It seems to be innate that many sentient beings are concerned/saddened at the death of one of their own species. I recently saw my mother die in a nursing home, peacefully in her sleep at age 95 years. Although a sad event, it was I guess expected at her age, and not nearly as devastating as seeing an apparently healthy, active person die in front of you at your workplace.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-12-2015, 01:24 PM
(04-12-2015 08:45 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  You know something though, that's sort of how I'd like to go, suddenly but without pain. The worst kind of deaths are the ones that take weeks or months or even years where the person and their family know it's coming and it just kind of haunts every moment and everything they do until it finally comes. When it's my time I hope it's just a normal day, out running errands in the morning, dead by the afternoon, no fuss.

Anyhow still a tough day I'm sure, hang in there.

This ^^

I cared for my father for several years as he wasted away with Parkinson`s disease. I wouldn`t wish that disease on my worst enemy. By the end, he was just skin and bones. The emotional toll on him, a former lumberjack who`d never been sick a day in his life, was enormous.

The only positive thing I can say about the experience is that he was never in hospital, he died at home, with his wife, child and grand-children around him, thanks to super community support caregivers and an excellent palliative care doctor. One Wednesday, I was called away from work at lunchtime and he gradually lost consciousness; when he died the next morning at 3:18 a.m., I was holding his hand.

To be truthful, I experienced an incredible sense of peace and relief when he literally breathed his last. I guess my grieving had taken place in the months and years before his death.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post