I went to Church, and it was lovely.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 11:34 PM
I went to Church, and it was lovely.
I have been an Atheist for nearly a year now. I have tried to "dabble" with different belief systems that might cause me to believe again (as a sort of personal experiment), but I am officially faith-free. And I feel great. At this point, I have gotten used to there being no one to talk to when I close my eyes, and I have come to really love sleeping in on Sunday mornings.

This last Sunday was Eastern in the Eastern Orthodox Church - my former religion. I was sitting at the hookah bar with my brother, and I figured we would catch 10 minutes of a service. I had begun to miss the way the Church looks, the smell of the incense and the candles, and all of it. It's not just my old religion, but it's a link for me to my ethnicity.

I went to about 15 minutes of the Pascha service. I hugged some old friends. It was lovely. The singing, smells, and smiles were all wonderful. And then I left.

I wondered how I would feel after. Would I believe in God again? Would I wish I could?

It was so nice to be in Church again, I can not tell you how much. But I do not believe any more than when I went into that building.

I am happy. I went and experienced a piece of my past. But it hasn't changed me.

Normally when I have experiences like this, my entire way of thinking can change, depending on how emotional I am. But since I have been on medication for bipolar disorder, I have found stability not only in my mood, but in regards to my beliefs, as well. I am an Atheist. It's not perfect or comfortable, but it's freedom. I am a free thinker, and I am happy to be one!

Just wanted to share.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
04-05-2016, 04:26 AM
RE: I went to Church, and it was lovely.
(03-05-2016 11:34 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I have been an Atheist for nearly a year now. I have tried to "dabble" with different belief systems that might cause me to believe again (as a sort of personal experiment), but I am officially faith-free. And I feel great. At this point, I have gotten used to there being no one to talk to when I close my eyes, and I have come to really love sleeping in on Sunday mornings.

This last Sunday was Eastern in the Eastern Orthodox Church - my former religion. I was sitting at the hookah bar with my brother, and I figured we would catch 10 minutes of a service. I had begun to miss the way the Church looks, the smell of the incense and the candles, and all of it. It's not just my old religion, but it's a link for me to my ethnicity.

I went to about 15 minutes of the Pascha service. I hugged some old friends. It was lovely. The singing, smells, and smiles were all wonderful. And then I left.

I wondered how I would feel after. Would I believe in God again? Would I wish I could?

It was so nice to be in Church again, I can not tell you how much. But I do not believe any more than when I went into that building.

I am happy. I went and experienced a piece of my past. But it hasn't changed me.

Normally when I have experiences like this, my entire way of thinking can change, depending on how emotional I am. But since I have been on medication for bipolar disorder, I have found stability not only in my mood, but in regards to my beliefs, as well. I am an Atheist. It's not perfect or comfortable, but it's freedom. I am a free thinker, and I am happy to be one!

Just wanted to share.

I am glad you were able to find some solace, and happy that you have accepted - reality. I'm not sure why the 'imperfection' description - I'm guessing you feel no emotional comfort since deconverting? You also sound like someone who makes decisions based on emotion more than reason, or at least often does. You're a rare breed of Atheist.

04-05-2016, 04:42 AM
I think it's great that your old friends were happy to see you?
Do they know that you're an atheist?
04-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Heathen! Big Grin

04-05-2016, 05:38 PM
I went to church once....it was stupid and boring.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-05-2016, 08:19 PM
(04-05-2016 05:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I went to church once....it was stupid and boring.

I've been to church many many times. My mother was Catholic and my father was Episcopalian. I have also been to Mass at Notre Dame in Paris and to a service in Moscow and to a service at a monastery in Istanbul. I've been to Muslim services in Istanbul and some of the old men taught me prayers in Arabic. I've been to Mass in the very small church where Mary is buried near Ephesus in Turkey. I've been to Mass at the Benedictine Monastery near Canon City, Colorado with the brothers [they used to take care of my horses during the winter and I became friends with a couple of them]. I've also been to some Jewish services. I've been to funeral services for friends who kicked the bucket and were believers. I've been an atheist since I was six years old and I came out as an atheist when I was 14.

My son has been an atheist all of his life and he has a college degree and a master's in comparative religions. He has gone to services all over the world in a variety of religions. My son and I have found the various services fascinating. Chris, my son, has even been through "Buddhist Monk Boot Camp" in China. He was there for six weeks and learned to meditate, do Tai Chi [he already had a strong background in martial arts], pray, and they beat the shit out of him with bamboo sticks. That was 12 years ago and he still carries some scars from it but he finished it successfully. He and I have both done Lakota Indian sweat lodges and vision quests [it almost killed me 50 years ago even when I was young and strong.]

Religion is fascinating if you study it and it's definitely not boring.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
05-05-2016, 09:44 AM
(04-05-2016 08:19 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 05:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I went to church once....it was stupid and boring.

I've been to church many many times. My mother was Catholic and my father was Episcopalian. I have also been to Mass at Notre Dame in Paris and to a service in Moscow and to a service at a monastery in Istanbul. I've been to Muslim services in Istanbul and some of the old men taught me prayers in Arabic. I've been to Mass in the very small church where Mary is buried near Ephesus in Turkey. I've been to Mass at the Benedictine Monastery near Canon City, Colorado with the brothers [they used to take care of my horses during the winter and I became friends with a couple of them]. I've also been to some Jewish services. I've been to funeral services for friends who kicked the bucket and were believers. I've been an atheist since I was six years old and I came out as an atheist when I was 14.

My son has been an atheist all of his life and he has a college degree and a master's in comparative religions. He has gone to services all over the world in a variety of religions. My son and I have found the various services fascinating. Chris, my son, has even been through "Buddhist Monk Boot Camp" in China. He was there for six weeks and learned to meditate, do Tai Chi [he already had a strong background in martial arts], pray, and they beat the shit out of him with bamboo sticks. That was 12 years ago and he still carries some scars from it but he finished it successfully. He and I have both done Lakota Indian sweat lodges and vision quests [it almost killed me 50 years ago even when I was young and strong.]

Religion is fascinating if you study it and it's definitely not boring.

Sorry, but I found it totally inane and dull. Kinda like this.....

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: 1280x720-bAm.jpg]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Greek here, and I always go to church at least once during Easter, as a family tradition.

There is this really awesome thing where the churches from all over the town gather in the central square and people follow holding candles in the night and then sing hymns. I know it's stupid as fuck to believe any of it now, but it's beautiful and the hymns are nice. It always feels like home when I do that with my family and I know I'll never stop going, even as an atheist.

Sometimes it's tempting to think how good it would feel if you just believed and connected with all those people there and feeling what the others are feeling. I know it, I've felt it. However, I've found that I can still enjoy everything even without believing. I see it as a quaint, old tradition that brings the family together and there's no harm in following it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
05-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Mr. Bean cracks me up. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
05-05-2016, 12:45 PM
(05-05-2016 12:21 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Mr. Bean cracks me up. Big Grin

This is off topic but when my daughter was four she was watching some show on PBS and falling apart giggling and laughing. I came in to see what she was laughing about and it was Mr Bean. I started watching it with her, then my husband started watching it, then my father and finally my youngest daughter who was two years old. Three generations were watching Mr. Bean and totally enjoying it. Big Grin

Sorry, back to the thread topic....carry on.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post