I went to Church, and it was lovely.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 01:00 PM
RE: I went to Church, and it was lovely.
(05-05-2016 12:21 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Mr. Bean cracks me up. Big Grin

It saddens me that Rowan Atkinson seems to be more widely remembered for Mr Bean than the genius that was Blackadder!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
05-05-2016, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 02:34 PM by dancefortwo.)
(05-05-2016 01:00 PM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 12:21 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Mr. Bean cracks me up. Big Grin

It saddens me that Rowan Atkinson seems to be more widely remembered for Mr Bean than the genius that was Blackadder!!

Loved Blackadder too! Well, since we're discussing church and Rowan Atkinson why not join them together in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Goat.

Laugh out load

And here as a priest discussing "the churches attitude towards fellatio." This man is a fucking genius. This is really a must watch video. Laugh out load Laugh out load Thumbsup

Edit: I wanted to add one more Atkinson priest. He does priests so well.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-05-2016, 11:49 PM
well, theyre pretty much designed to be warm and welcoming. people wouldnt get up early on sunday to go somewhere that is cold and uninviting. except those images of a tortured jew nailed to wood... i never found that to be pleasant. to each his own.
08-05-2016, 03:56 PM
(04-05-2016 05:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I went to church once....it was stupid and boring.

This is why I only stayed for about 15 minutes - it gets old fast. Wink
08-05-2016, 04:50 PM
One can never go home.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-05-2016, 05:07 PM
(05-05-2016 10:10 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Greek here, and I always go to church at least once during Easter, as a family tradition.

There is this really awesome thing where the churches from all over the town gather in the central square and people follow holding candles in the night and then sing hymns. I know it's stupid as fuck to believe any of it now, but it's beautiful and the hymns are nice. It always feels like home when I do that with my family and I know I'll never stop going, even as an atheist.

Sometimes it's tempting to think how good it would feel if you just believed and connected with all those people there and feeling what the others are feeling. I know it, I've felt it. However, I've found that I can still enjoy everything even without believing. I see it as a quaint, old tradition that brings the family together and there's no harm in following it.

Thank you so much for commenting. I think another formerly Orthodox person would understand.

I don't believe, and that's the point of this post. I am a happy Atheist. But the Orthodox Church has such beautiful hymns with beautiful liturgy (never mind they're all about nonsense), it's nice to go back to smell the candles and incense, to hear the chanting, and things like that.

It was a double-edged sword. On one hand, it made me happy to be there. I felt good, and I felt like I was returning to an old home. On the other hand, I had many flashbacks of when I was a young teenager in that Church, having to grapple with the idea at 15 years old that I could never have a partner and had to be celibate for my entire life. I missed out on so many experiences when I was younger because of religion. This experience reminded me how grateful I am to myself, and how strong I am. I very much see myself not only as an atheist, but as a survivor of religion.