I went to a christain site, now I feel dirty

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-03-2010, 09:41 PM
RE: I went to a christain site, now I feel dirty
(19-03-2010 09:07 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  
(19-03-2010 04:08 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Oh, and any good suggestion for intelligent places where I can learn the religious mindset?

Well, i used to be an extremely devout christian until i reached the age of reason (16-17), i even worked at a christian summercamp when i was 15 because my priest asked me to. But as for my own experience of the religious mindset i can only say that it was extremely comforting and convenient, every time anything that i couldn't explain happened i could always say "because god wanted it". But when you start thinking about religions in a real critical fashion you simply can not ignore the fact that there is no evidence to back it up.
The religious mindset, at least in my experience, can be summed up in one sentence: Doubt leads to damnation. This is probably the thing that priests (at least here in iceland) emphasize the most, never doubt because doubt makes you stray. So, as a kid, i learned to block all doubt about a god from my mind.

I like to think that religious people are a little bit smarter. I have never seen an argument for god that holds water. I was hoping to find one, not so much so that I can faith in god, rather faith in humanity.

Depressing to think that people believe in god just so that they don't have to think, or they are scared into not thinking.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2010, 05:55 AM

(19-03-2010 05:12 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Unfortunately, it's very hard to find a Christian board interested in genuine, open debate between Christians and atheists. I'll look for one, but to date I haven't found one.
Oh dear Christ, I think I'm going to vomit.

This is quite possibly the most sicky-sweet (and idiotic) piece of bull**** I have ever seen on any website.

Ever.

Ironically, unbeliever, I thought YOU were BIOWZA! Smile Sounds like your type of retort (well thought out, equally well elaborated).

I copied the entire letter to a Word doc for two reasons:

1. So I can practice my responses to the drivvel that they posted, and
2. Since it is a letter to "Dear Atheist", it opens it up for a response.

Given, I will take my time to get the responses to all their 'questions'; however, that's why we're called "thinking atheists"... Smile

If I DO get around to posting on the talkingjesus site, I'll post it here as well for all to see.
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2010, 12:11 PM

... Their stunning lack of factual knowledge simply astounds me. How someone can be so wilfully ignorant is beyond me.

I also noticed that all of Chad's "evidence" were links to other topics on TalkJesus. I do not possess the strength to look into all of them, but I think it is safe to assume that he either could not or did not try to find legitimate, non-biased sources. Probably because all scientists are working to mock God; and not, you know, further our understanding of the universe or anything crazy like that.
23-03-2010, 01:10 PM
(20-03-2010 05:55 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
(19-03-2010 05:12 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Unfortunately, it's very hard to find a Christian board interested in genuine, open debate between Christians and atheists. I'll look for one, but to date I haven't found one.
Oh dear Christ, I think I'm going to vomit.

This is quite possibly the most sicky-sweet (and idiotic) piece of bull**** I have ever seen on any website.

Ever.

Ironically, unbeliever, I thought YOU were BIOWZA! Smile Sounds like your type of retort (well thought out, equally well elaborated).

Well, thanks for the compliment, but no. I couldn't stay on that site for more than five minutes at a time without risking severe bodily harm as a result of beating my skull against the wall to the point of death.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Sorry, folks...I just couldn't help myself... Sad

I went to the TalkJesus site, the Dear Atheist posting specifically...

Here is a response from user iluvjesus, with their 'infinite wisdom' about atheists (Warning! May cause the loss of brain cells!):

"Atheism: The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. Makes perfect sense. <-- Hey, I like that!!

It's always been a burden for me to pray for atheists.

For all atheists out there, know that you should humble yourselves, knowing that you are just mere humans, unable to grasp EVERY possible knowledge and treating yourselves like gods. You always ask the reason "why" in a never-ending manner, skeptically attempting to resolve every God-given mystery using three pound worth of a human brain. The truth is, you will never succeed. God reigns more than your life, more than the world, more than science that you worship, even the big bang theory that is simply self-defeating. His ways are higher than ours, and so His thoughts. So don't even try to box the almighty God into your human knowledge."

I REALLY wish the blog was still active (the last posted crap on this particular thread was 2009, with about 3 posts attempting to 'revive' it posted this month).

I'm shaking my head on this one. The amount of bullshit stated in the post above ALONE makes me want to ask how this person gets by day to day...what kind of 'box' are THEY living in...WOW.