I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-03-2015, 10:26 PM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(02-03-2015 08:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ryan,
If you're calling Moms lazy then you're a braver man than I.

Either way, no one gets banned from being wrong or stupid or ignorant (or, as in this case, all three).

Wink

Haha no of course not, everybody loves Momsy. I just seem to remember you guys wanting a more strict banhammer, or am I just being delusional again?

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
02-03-2015, 11:44 PM
(02-03-2015 10:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ryan,
If you're calling Moms lazy then you're a braver man than I.

Either way, no one gets banned from being wrong or stupid or ignorant (or, as in this case, all three).

Wink

Haha no of course not, everybody loves Momsy. I just seem to remember you guys wanting a more strict banhammer, or am I just being delusional again?

... We agreed that the banhammer shall be wielded at the discretion of admin - that means taking the rough with the smooth. Sometimes people ain't gonna like admin decisions, that's life. So far since that policy was adopted there's been exactly *zero* incidents of the real poisonous trolls - you know, the type who were capable of putting friends at one anothers' throats. This kind of mundane, boring troll is child's play. I'm chuffed to see them getting ripped to shreds rather than banned. It exposes their empty, failed excuse for a philosophy for what it is.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
03-03-2015, 08:20 AM
(02-03-2015 11:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 10:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Haha no of course not, everybody loves Momsy. I just seem to remember you guys wanting a more strict banhammer, or am I just being delusional again?

... We agreed that the banhammer shall be wielded at the discretion of admin - that means taking the rough with the smooth. Sometimes people ain't gonna like admin decisions, that's life. So far since that policy was adopted there's been exactly *zero* incidents of the real poisonous trolls - you know, the type who were capable of putting friends at one anothers' throats. This kind of mundane, boring troll is child's play. I'm chuffed to see them getting ripped to shreds rather than banned. It exposes their empty, failed excuse for a philosophy for what it is.

This one has stopped squeaking. All of its stupid is used up, so it's time to toss it aside. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2015, 08:22 AM
(02-03-2015 11:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... We agreed that the banhammer shall be wielded at the discretion of admin - that means taking the rough with the smooth. Sometimes people ain't gonna like admin decisions, that's life.

We did? Was there a vote? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2015, 08:25 AM
(03-03-2015 08:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 11:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... We agreed that the banhammer shall be wielded at the discretion of admin - that means taking the rough with the smooth. Sometimes people ain't gonna like admin decisions, that's life.

We did? Was there a vote? Consider

... Despotism doesn't work that way...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-03-2015, 08:28 AM
(02-03-2015 06:14 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 05:45 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Good. So you think that something had to be eternal. Could the eternal thing have been the universe in an earlier form, a pre-big-bang-universe that transformed through the process of the big bang into our present universe?
The short answer is no. The long answer is also no.

Oh. Why is that?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-03-2015, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 01:59 PM by Full Circle.)
(02-03-2015 05:55 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Dogs produce dogs, cats produce cats, snakes produce snakes...

This is for anyone out there who thinks CotW has made a good point.

I took my wife’s niece and nephew to the zoo last year and we climbed a platform by the Chimpanzee pen and watched them as they in turn watched us. The 10 and 12 year old had tons of questions and observations including, “Why are they so hairy?”, “Are they monkeys?”, and the obvious one, “They kinda look like people.”

One of the most prevelant misunderstandings of “The Tree of Life,” otherwise known in the scientific world as cladistics, http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/clad/clad1.html is that it is a straight line.
It is NOT called the Branch of Life Smartass but the TREE of LIFE.

A simple example of this erroneous thinking would be to say that your mother and father had the same mother and father and in turn had the same mother and father ad infinitum. This, of course, would be brother marrying sister for generations (giving birth to children with cartilage for brains for example Rolleyes ).

Barring this we all have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, 16 great-great-grandparents and on and on doubling every previous generation.

Imagine, if you will, trying to find your long lost 100th cousin that came from the same two parents that are also part of your ancestors 100 generations ago. What do they look like today? Would they look anything like you? Height, color of hair, color of skin, color of eyes, facial features? More than likely they and you won’t look very much alike, you could be living next to them and have no clue they were your cousin 100 generations removed.

What if we try 1,000 generations ago? Or 10,000 generations?

We know from the fossil record that Homo sapiens have been around for about 150,000 to 200,000 years. Before that there was Homo heidlebergensis and before that...

[Image: 978-3-540-33761-4_58_Fig8_HTML.gif]

That short rectangle on the upper right represents 200,000 years of generations! Our great-ancestors, Mr. and Mrs. H. heidlebergensis also had kids named H. neanderthalensis, our distant cousins http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/huma...rthalensis. But that family branch died off about 40,000 years ago because they could not compete with the smarter H. sapiens.

Mr. and Mrs. H. heidlebergensis came from a family named H. erectus. A very successful family that stuck around for about 2 million years before that family tree branch died out but not before giving birth to H. heidlebergensis (our ancestors) and H. floresiensis (another family dead-end).

If you follow the “Family Tree” back through the eons you see that sometime about 7.5 million years ago the branch that gave birth to our ancestors ALSO gave birth to the branch Pan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae

Pan = the great apes, Chimps included.

NOW: this is where people like CotW get all confused. Once a lineage branches off it will never give birth to their ancestors. This would be like you and your spouse fathering your parents or great-grandparents! Generations ONLY GO ONE WAY!

Once the branches split off from our common ancestor the two went on their merry way never to meet again. 7.5 million years later humans give birth to humans, Chimpanzees give birth to Chimpanzees.

This happens with ALL living organisms. Snakes give birth to snakes, salamanders to salamanders. However, just like humans and chimpanzees, somewhere in the distant path snakes and salamanders had a common ancestor...this is EVOLUTION.

We’ve tried to explain and describe how this speciation occurs, but setting that aside for now, the simplistic description above explains how different species are related to one another (without being able to interbreed). If we go back far enough in the Tree of Life some 4,000,000,000 years ago (4 billion = a Censored long time for organisms to adapt, change, pass on their genes, self-select, die-off, flourish and evolve), all of it comes to one point, one organism, that is common to every living thing on earth.

Hope that helps shed some light on the matter. I don’t think I can make it any simpler than that.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
03-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Dang! I was waiting for the punchline...

(03-03-2015 08:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
I took my wife’s niece and nephew to the zoo last year and we climbed a platform by the Chimpanzee pen and watched them as they in turn watched us. The 10 and 12 year old had tons of questions and observations including, “Why are they so hairy?”, “Are they monkeys?”, and the obvious one, “They kinda look like people.”

... and my wife's niece and nephew had tons of questions too.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-03-2015, 09:23 AM
My previous post is aimed at 10-12 year olds, this attachement is what I deal with on a day to day basis with fish. Scroll down a bit to see the cladistics within the Hypoplectrus genera alone Hobo

http://specifyassets.nhm.ku.edu/Ichthyol...27.att.pdf

I’m lucky enough to work with the author and founder of the Ocean Science Foundation as with other prominent marine biologists representing the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute and REEF.org, a non profit educational and research foundation.

Adaptation, sympatric speciation, allopatric speciation, parapatric speciation, assortative mating, silmoutaneous hermaphrodites, role-reversals, egg sharing...these are the things we delve into. Meanwhile people still struggle with why cats don’t give birth to dogs if evolution “were” true. Facepalm

This is like having to teach someone how 7x7=49 while they think they understand
[Image: text58.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
03-03-2015, 09:45 AM
(03-03-2015 08:28 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 06:14 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  The short answer is no. The long answer is also no.

Oh. Why is that?
Short answer, because. Long answer, because it's not his god.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post