I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
27-03-2015, 08:00 PM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(08-02-2015 12:39 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  There is plenty of evidence for me ....

Your understanding of evidence is suspect.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-03-2015, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2015 09:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-03-2015 09:08 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  As the universe ages its energy will be consumed and it will cool down to near absolute zero. As it cools the forces holding the molecules together will weaken and cause them to separate into their component atoms. The same will hold true for the atoms and they will also separate into their component parts. Long before this all happens life will cease to exist, there will be no more life, not one smidgeon of evidence that it ever existed, and no memory of it. Life will be just as though it had never been.
The universe began its course without our assistance long before life evolved, now that we are here it's continuing on precisely the same course it would have if we hadn't arrived, and it will continue on the same course after we are gone. We contribute nothing to the universe we can do nothing to change its course we are helpless bystanders. Imagine there was a parallel universe, the only difference being that biological evolution never took place. That universe would end precisely the same way as this one. This makes us totally irrelevant to our universe.
Suppose that another universe existed prior to this one and has already wound down. It simply doesn't matter whether or not life evolved in that universe. If it did evolve it simply doesn't matter what level of intelligence it reached. It simply doesn't matter the length of its existance. This is the big picture it allows for the existance of other life in the universe or the possibility that human beings migrated from our solar system to another part of theuniverse.
Our existance in the universe could cease long before this if life only exists in our solar system. Long before the sun consumes most of its fuel in 4 to 5 billion years and expands to the size of the earth's orbit life will no longer exist. This is the medium picture It could end even sooner than this by war, famine, disease, climate change an asteroid striking earth, or something else. This is the small picture.Our existance is totally irrelevant and unimportant to the existance of the universe.
We consist of a miniscule number of atoms compared to the number of atoms in the universe, we live in a miniscule amount of space in a universe more than 20 billion light years accross, and we exist for a miniscule amount of time in a universe 15.7 billion years young. The same is true of each of those pesky mosquitos I swatted this summer. We are totally insignificant in the universe. To think that just because our atoms are arranged a little differently that we are more valueable than mosquitos is just silly elitism. When I look up the word meaningless in the Thesaurus both words, unimportant and insigficant appear as synonyms
Atheists only concentrate on the small picture. This is like focusng on just one tree and then not eing able to see the vast forest around it or like the blind men and the elephant.This gives them a distorted sense of reality causing them to say thingsd like if nothiing matters then everything matters this is obviously contradictory because if nothing matters then nothing matters. Some say that life itself is meaningless but that they create their own meaning. This is a contradiction and a fantasy. They are doing exactly what they accuse religious people of doing. Some atheists say that passing their genes on to the next generation is what gives life meaning but that can only last until the final generation. Some say the value of life is the legacy we leave behind. There is no legacy.

So we're supposed to take a rant about existence by someone that can't even spell "existence" ? Your rant is false for many reasons. The comparison with mosquitoes, (even IF you were to spell "mosquitoes" correctly), is the fallacy of the false analogy. There is no evidence a mosquito is self-aware, or aware of the universe. There is a legacy, until there isn't. You are setting up a value system with many unexamined assumptions, Kragt. Do take a class in critical thinking sometime. Jebus will reward you for that. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Yep, the passing of genes is not what gives life meaning. We choose ourselves what meaning to attribute to our own lives. The passing of genes is what continues the species, but does not inherently give it any more meaning that the not passing on of genes.
27-03-2015, 09:47 PM
(24-03-2015 09:08 AM)‘David Kragt Wrote:  Atheists only concentrate on the small picture.

People got issues man
You gotta do somethin about that
You talking about me like you
Fucking know me man
Its funny man I go to sleep and I laugh at it
Don’t even bother me no more

EMINEM

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-03-2015, 10:02 PM
(27-03-2015 09:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 09:08 AM)‘David Kragt Wrote:  Atheists only concentrate on the small picture.

People got issues man
You gotta do somethin about that
You talking about me like you
Fucking know me man
Its funny man I go to sleep and I laugh at it
Don’t even bother me no more

EMINEM

Interesting. Consider

From your avatar I would have totally pegged you as Snoop Dogg.

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
13-04-2015, 01:18 PM
(27-03-2015 09:05 PM)kineo Wrote:  Yep, the passing of genes is not what gives life meaning. We choose ourselves what meaning to attribute to our own lives. The passing of genes is what continues the species, but does not inherently give it any more meaning that the not passing on of genes.

You are looking at the small picture just like one of the blind men touching the elephant
13-04-2015, 01:33 PM
I suppose it is (or should be) obvious, but I'm curious to see what others think of the following question: Why do believers such at CotW and DK cling so fanatically to their certainty about things that, simply put, are uncertain (and in my opinion, unlikely; but uncertain for certain)?

I suppose part of it is the fear that God will torture them for having doubts?

My nephew, recently diagnosed as schizophrenic, has a very strong religious element to his illness. God "talks" directly to him all the time and he is happy to inform the rest of us about this "truth" that eludes us. (By the way, he was part of an asshole fundamentalist church that, when he was clearly showing imbalance, encouraged him to "pray" to "heal his sins" instead of seek help ... until the police picked him up and put him on a mandatory mental-health hold.)

He, like CotW et al, is just so incredibly certain of his beliefs. I consider myself an agnostic atheist, but I don't feel the need to frantically cling to my beliefs like they do.

So what gives? Just looking for your thoughts.

Q Cunt: You need not apply. I've been very pleased with my decision to "ignore" all your insipidities.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
14-04-2015, 11:57 AM
(13-04-2015 01:33 PM)claywise Wrote:  I suppose it is (or should be) obvious, but I'm curious to see what others think of the following question: Why do believers such at CotW and DK cling so fanatically to their certainty about things that, simply put, are uncertain (and in my opinion, unlikely; but uncertain for certain)?

One word; delusion:an idiosyncratic false belief that is firmly maintained in spite of incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary (from the medical dictionary). It is simple, it is a clinical delusion.
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
14-04-2015, 12:05 PM
(14-04-2015 11:57 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 01:33 PM)claywise Wrote:  I suppose it is (or should be) obvious, but I'm curious to see what others think of the following question: Why do believers such at CotW and DK cling so fanatically to their certainty about things that, simply put, are uncertain (and in my opinion, unlikely; but uncertain for certain)?

One word; delusion:an idiosyncratic false belief that is firmly maintained in spite of incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary (from the medical dictionary). It is simple, it is a clinical delusion.

Big Grin

As I always say...

Faith: The belief in something without evidence

Delusion: The firm belief in something even in the face of superior evidence to the contrary

Religion: The embracement of delusion.

Flex

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
14-04-2015, 01:08 PM
(14-04-2015 12:05 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Delusion: The firm belief in something even in the face of superior evidence to the contrary

Religion: The embracement of delusion.

I know, but really, I know very smart people who really, really buy this. I guess intelligence isn't determinative of delusion, but it still seems so strange to me.

It's that very foundational formulation that convinces me it's all bunkum: God set the whole damned, foolish, lunatic thing up but it's just a Rube Goldberg edifice that makes no sense whatsoever.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.