I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-07-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
At work.

I believe the technical term is an honest "We don't know. ......... but we're thinking very hard about the possibilities. "
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
16-07-2015, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2015 01:19 PM by Grave.)
So what is atheism? Is it the absence of belief in anything that tries to explain existence? I'm not trying to offend atheist or theist I'm just trying to figure out what atheism is. I see some atheist that believe science explains existence completely or at least better than creationism does and that's why they choose to be an atheist and not believe that God created everything.
16-07-2015, 01:17 PM
(16-07-2015 12:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh, don't mind me ... I only came to respond to post #6.

Red russet. If you don't over boil them, they really hold their own amongst the other ingredients. Shy

I like a nice red potato too. The thing that sucks about them, over cook them and they become really mushy. Undercook them.....and yuck.

I think that's why I started cooking my potatoes for salads in the oven.

It takes longer but I like the resuts better.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-07-2015, 01:50 PM
(16-07-2015 01:16 PM)Grave Wrote:  So what is atheism? Is it the absence of belief in anything that tries to explain existence? I'm not trying to offend atheist or theist I'm just trying to figure out what atheism is. I see some atheist that believe science explains existence completely or at least better than creationism does and that's why they choose to be an atheist and not believe that God created everything.

At work.

Will take about a day to have time to reply
16-07-2015, 01:59 PM
(16-07-2015 01:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 12:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh, don't mind me ... I only came to respond to post #6.

Red russet. If you don't over boil them, they really hold their own amongst the other ingredients. Shy

I like a nice red potato too. The thing that sucks about them, over cook them and they become really mushy. Undercook them.....and yuck.

I think that's why I started cooking my potatoes for salads in the oven.

It takes longer but I like the resuts better.

They don't get dry? Consider Hm. I may have to try that.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-07-2015, 02:08 PM
(16-07-2015 12:46 PM)Grave Wrote:  Even if your definition of Atheism is true, you are still believing in the science to prove that something came from nothing for no reason, and that's still a belief system.

I trust science because I understand the process it uses to reach the conclusions it does. I also accept that all conclusions are tentative and could be overturned if new evidence is found. Calling it a belief system misses the mark as it is not at all like religious belief.

As for something from nothing, the answer is we do not know. Perhaps the matter/energy that makes up our universe always existed and the big bang represents some sort of phase transition. Perhaps there is a multiverse of some kind where the laws of cause and effect are different. Perhaps "nothing" i unstable as Lawrence Krauss seems to be proposing and something really can come from nothing. I do not know. I am not a physicist or cosmologist. None of that is pertinent to my not believing that "god" is the only, or even the best, explanation. Assuming a god because you don't understand something doesn't make sense to me. Evidence for god being the answer would be very different from an inability to come up with any other explanation.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
16-07-2015, 03:24 PM
(16-07-2015 01:16 PM)Grave Wrote:  So what is atheism? Is it the absence of belief in anything that tries to explain existence? I'm not trying to offend atheist or theist I'm just trying to figure out what atheism is. I see some atheist that believe science explains existence completely or at least better than creationism does and that's why they choose to be an atheist and not believe that God created everything.

Generally atheists only state that we don't find sufficient reason to buy into the god concept. Like of you told me "I own a blue rimmed basketball court" but have not shown me any photos of this court and refuse to take us to this court or give us any reason to believe you. You MIGHT own such a court, you might not. But as we have no reason to believe you, we don't. We are not certain you don't. We just have no reason to credit your claim. If you gave us a reason to believ you, we would change our minds.

Same with god. We have been given no reason to believe this claim. Once we have evidence we will believe.

It has nothing to do with origins, evolution, or anything. There are many unscientific atheists. I know a few anti-vax atheists, and they annoy me.

For me it is that I don't even know what this god thing is that people are talking about. It is like if I asked you if you believed in the flibbityjibbet. What is it? You have no clue. But no one will explain it.
16-07-2015, 06:27 PM
(16-07-2015 01:16 PM)Grave Wrote:  I see some atheist that believe science explains existence completely or at least better than creationism does and that's why they choose to be an atheist and not believe that God created everything.

I don't know anybody that thinks science explains anything completely, let alone existence. It's just that science has proven itself to be the most reliable method we have for finding actual answers instead of just accepting unsubstantiated claims.

I also don't think the evolution vs creationism question really factors into becoming an atheist all that much. When you look critically at the claims made by theists you find that they lack any real substance. There just isn't compelling evidence to believe that a god exists. If we found evidence today showing that the current scientific explanations of everything were completely wrong it would not make creationism one iota more likely. It would just mean that we were back at square 1 in trying to figure things out.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Atheism is a lack of belief in a God. Nothing more nothing less. It's not and does not need to be complicated than that. There are many reasons people become atheist just like there are many reasons people become vegetarian.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
16-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Someone PM me if a real debate ever starts.

Thanks in advance. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat