I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-07-2015, 07:48 PM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(16-07-2015 06:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Someone PM me if a real debate ever starts.

Thanks in advance. Thumbsup

You know that'll never happen.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
16-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Okay thanks for helping me better understand Arheism. If you all every find out why we're here and how we got here let me let me know. I wanna know why I'm alive.
16-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Why are we here? Why do you need an external reason? My life is not a means to an end, it is an end in itself. Just imagine, off all the possible genetic combinations thrown up when a man and woman decide to have a baby, only one can come to be. And of those fertilized eggs a minority come to term. The chances of my existence is one in billions upon billions. And trace that back, how about the odds of my mother and father meeting? Or even being born? Imagine all the things that had to happen, how amazingly unlikely I am. I am unique, something that statistically should never have happened. And here I am. I am lucky to live, and lucky to get to see the universe. I get to see, and learn, and grow. And if I'm lucky I can add to the sum of human experience. Isn't that enough?

As to how we got here, we don't know. There are some theories as to what happened, but we don't know for sure. And you know, that's OK. It's perfectly all right to not know things. But maybe if we look we can find out why. Placing an undefined stopgap "god" into the mix doesn't get us to a real answer.
[+] 7 users Like natachan's post
17-07-2015, 01:13 AM
(16-07-2015 08:14 PM)Grave Wrote:  Okay thanks for helping me better understand Arheism. If you all every find out why we're here and how we got here let me let me know. I wanna know why I'm alive.

Why are you alive? It may have something to do with your parents. And really it's why all of us are here.

To be more serious why should I be concerned with such question? Especially when I consider it to be pointless, we just are and that's it. I don't care why I'm here I just try to live a good life that won't cause regrets for me and that's all I need.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-07-2015, 01:18 AM
(16-07-2015 01:16 PM)Grave Wrote:  So what is atheism? Is it the absence of belief in anything that tries to explain existence? I'm not trying to offend atheist or theist I'm just trying to figure out what atheism is. I see some atheist that believe science explains existence completely or at least better than creationism does and that's why they choose to be an atheist and not believe that God created everything.

Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in a god or gods. I don't believe in Eo, Ra, Thor, Achelois, Clio, Cronus, Hebe, Nyx, or Yahweh. Perhaps you believe the last one, perhaps not, but safe to say, you probably don't believe in the others. By definition, you would be an atheist of those gods (unless you believe in yahweh, but still).

Origins of the universe have nothing to do with a lack in a belief in a god or gods. You can understand the big bang and believe in a god, or understand the big bang without believing in a god. Just as much as you can understand how evolution works and is nothing more than change over time and believe in a god, and understand how it works without a god.

The origins of life that you are describing is also known as Abiogenesis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

These are all things that you can easily research in a few books, if you choose to understand them. It sounds as if you are trying to justify belief in a god in the origin of life itself, or the origins of the universe itself, and seem to be attributing a lack in a belief in god to a belief in the origins of the universe in a belief system, which is not how it works.

Science is a tool for understanding. It is models built on a basic principle known as the scientific method.

- Asking a question
- Doing research
- Constructing a hypothesis
- Testing your hypothesis
- Analyzing your data and a conclusion
- Peer review

I don't require a god belief to understand how gravity works. I do not require a god belief to understand how geology works and how the formation of geological structures work. Just the same, I don't require a god belief to understand how magnetic fields work, or electricity. Though there was a time when those things were considered "magic" or "demons" or "mystical" things.

Asking how a lack of belief in a god or gods explains the origins of the universe is sort of like asking why lacking belief in unicorns or leprechauns causes internal combustion engines to work. "So what you're saying is that on the compression stroke, when it ignites, power is made. If you don't believe in a god, how can you believe that it ignites? That's obviously faith." But on the contrary, we have empirical evidence that internal combustion engines work, and we understand quite well how they work, and through various patented models that have been demonstrated, anyone can go read a book on them and understand how they work.

In the same manner, in a few simple books on physics, astronomy, geology, and biology, you can understand the world around you.

Now, regarding the origins of life itself... most of those are unanswered questions to this day. That's why I mentioned Abiogenesis. The common misconception is that evolution talks about origins, but it doesn't. Evolution discusses change over time and the diversity of species over time, nothing more. In the same manner, the big bang theory discusses the expansion of the universe, strong and weak nuclear forces, etc.

Lack of a belief in a god or gods doesn't have anything to do with that. There's plenty of data, look it up, research it, understand it. At the end of the day if you want to attribute a sky daddy to it then so be it, but discrediting the vast amounts of research, data, peer review and the best current models of understanding are basically saying, "Let's just take the best ideas that humanity has ever had, put their minds together on, peer reviewed, and discussed, spent years researching in fields that my IQ and feeble mind are completely incapable of understanding because I wish to remain ignorant, and toss those out because I care more about what sounds good to me.... than actually understanding the world around me." Generally, I call that religion.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post
17-07-2015, 04:19 AM
(16-07-2015 08:22 PM)natachan Wrote:  Why are we here? Why do you need an external reason? My life is not a means to an end, it is an end in itself. Just imagine, off all the possible genetic combinations thrown up when a man and woman decide to have a baby, only one can come to be. And of those fertilized eggs a minority come to term. The chances of my existence is one in billions upon billions. And trace that back, how about the odds of my mother and father meeting? Or even being born? Imagine all the things that had to happen, how amazingly unlikely I am. I am unique, something that statistically should never have happened. And here I am. I am lucky to live, and lucky to get to see the universe. I get to see, and learn, and grow. And if I'm lucky I can add to the sum of human experience. Isn't that enough?

As to how we got here, we don't know. There are some theories as to what happened, but we don't know for sure. And you know, that's OK. It's perfectly all right to not know things. But maybe if we look we can find out why. Placing an undefined stopgap "god" into the mix doesn't get us to a real answer.

Love that first paragraph.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
18-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Rainbow RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(16-07-2015 01:16 PM)Grave Wrote:  So what is atheism? Is it the absence of belief in anything that tries to explain existence? I'm not trying to offend atheist or theist I'm just trying to figure out what atheism is. I see some atheist that believe science explains existence completely or at least better than creationism does and that's why they choose to be an atheist and not believe that God created everything.

Hi Grave. As an evolved Primate, it is only our natural tendency to try and find answers to any question. This human natural tendency is a by-product of our evolved primate self-awareness and the expression of our genes. We simply seem incapable of just ignoring these problems, even though they have very little impact on our day to day lives. The constructs that we accept, and use to solve these problems were mentioned by, 'ünfogged'. Without our evolved self-awareness, and genetic predisposition, we would NOT be so predisposed to solve all problems. There would therefore be no need for, or tendency towards Religion as a solution.

To become an Atheist, you must first overcome your natural tendencies, and ignore the need to solve eclectic and ecclesiastic questions (what is the meaning of life, why do I exists, what happens after death, etc.). Secondly, you must overcome, to a greater extent, your social tendency to conform to the beliefs and customs of your immediate society (family and friends). You then must overcome and extend that tendency, to include the customs and beliefs of society in general. Finally, you must withstand all of the different reactions you will receive, because of your position.

Being an Atheist, is the choosing of a position that is contrary to the established norms and mores of that society, regarding the validity of its religion. For me, it is a dogma-free position of enlightenment that frees me of more external rules, practices, and customs that society imposes.

Hope this helps. Shell Heart
[+] 6 users Like ShellShilo's post
20-07-2015, 03:01 AM
(16-07-2015 08:14 PM)Grave Wrote:  Okay thanks for helping me better understand Arheism. If you all every find out why we're here and how we got here let me let me know. I wanna know why I'm alive.

Why you are alive?

Because your mother and father had sex and procreated and them out of an unfathomable or possibly a number that can currently never possibly be calculated of possible outcomes and combinations of DNA or mutations there of, as well as an equally impossible to calculate number of possible outcomes for what your memories, personality, feelings, experience and everything else that you have experienced that could had shaped your mind into what makes every single possible factor of who you are all came together to make YOU.

You are the result of an impossible improbability that happened anyway. No one, even if humans didn't evolve and the universe lived to be 400 x a thousand to the six hundredth power....will there ever be anyone even remotely close to who you are right now.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
20-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Well said, Shell!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
20-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Rainbow RE: I will debate any atheist on here
Sorry Graves, I gave credit for the rules of scientific inquiry to "ünfogged". I apologize for not giving credit where it's due. I will post my take on Biogenesis, and the effects of Entropy on a Dynamic Bio system, at another time.

We know that most of the vastness of space is mostly empty space, and that the rest is hostile to life as we know it. We also know that the stars and galaxies are accelerating away from us, and in 6-7 billion years, that acceleration will reach the speed of light. End of the Universe. If we look up in the night sky , we can actually see the Andromeda Galaxy heading towards our Milky Way Galaxy, in about 4 Billion years from now. If we somehow manage to survive that collision, which is quite possible, our sun will explode in about 5 billion years from now. These are not predictions, these are certainties, and is occurring as we speak. But, these events will be meaningless since the human race will be extinct, due to overpopulation and pollution, long before these events will occur.

These events, as you have noted, pale in comparison with all the events that had to have happened to allow you to read, and understand this post. Consider all the events, and non-events, that brought your parents, their parents, and their parents together, etc. We should all learn to accept our existence as the results of defying the unimaginable odds. We should also leave the answers to questions such as, Are there square circles in the universe?, Will Mankind ever become Omniscient?, or What is the purpose of life?, these and other unanswerable questions should be left for people with more time on their hands, and an overactive imagination.

Just saying. Shell Heart