I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
08-02-2015, 07:28 PM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(08-02-2015 07:11 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 01:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  Progress has been made on that, but you just stand by your god-of-the-gaps argument.

Progress? Either you can empirically prove abiogenesis or you can't..."Progress" lol.

Define "prove". I read your posts to define "prove" as "recreate and make life from non life ". That is not what is required to "prove " abiogenesis. But, that seems to be what you want. If so, there is no point continuing. Science hasn't yet done that and if that's all you'll accept, the discussion is over.

But, ask yourself what you'll believe if science does do just that. It seems to me your faith is hanging by a thread. If failure to prove certain things is your "evidence " for god, you're in for some real shocks, depending on how old you are and how long you live.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
08-02-2015, 07:29 PM
(08-02-2015 07:24 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 01:29 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Yet you said this.

Which means you are a creationist or some form of?

So, What the hell is the deal here? Because your posts are not making any coherent sense and it seems you might be trolling us at this point if you are just going to change your mind that fast.

In other words, I am saying how is a talking snake any more absurd than inanimate matter coming to life?

Do you talk to snakes?

[Image: f913dc287e4fd2d4c86e8b1492af5f75314232c8...dc611c.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
08-02-2015, 07:30 PM
(08-02-2015 01:37 PM)gofish! Wrote:  The last time I was here, I could swear someone was worried that we'd run out of nutbars to chew on.

See, you needn't have worried...there'll always be a fresh supply...

Straight out of the oven "fresh".
08-02-2015, 07:32 PM
(08-02-2015 07:30 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 01:37 PM)gofish! Wrote:  The last time I was here, I could swear someone was worried that we'd run out of nutbars to chew on.

But flavorless.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-02-2015, 07:37 PM
(08-02-2015 01:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no 'life force', neither in upper nor lower case.

The caps was for emphasis, sir.

(08-02-2015 01:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  When something dies, it means that the required arrangement no longer exists.

The question is how did the "required arrangement" get there in the first place.

(08-02-2015 01:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, the matter isn't the life, the arrangement into molecules and cells that interact is the life.

So if there was a point at which there was no life, how would the molecules and cells interact to create life?? How was something as complex as a living cell formed via a blind and mindless process?
08-02-2015, 07:37 PM
(08-02-2015 12:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I am an atheist.

I would like to debate on which is the best variety of potato to use for traditional vinaigrette-based potato salad.

Thanks.

Adirondack Blues.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
08-02-2015, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 07:58 PM by Job_1207.)
(08-02-2015 07:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The longer I’m here the less reason I find in discussing anything having to do with gods with theists. Yes it can be entertaining and good for a few laughs but in the end we might as well be talking to a wall. Hey! That reminds me of this story...

Where was I? Oh, right...arguing with theists.

First thing they do is point at their holy scriptures and quote them as though this holds any sway over me. I would have to believe them first and I don’t so they might as well quote to me something from The Lord of The Rings Trilogy as it would have as much impact. Like Chas says the Bible is the claim not the evidence.

Then they want to riddle you with question regarding the origins of life as though somehow humanity’s continuing quest to conclusively answer how abiogenesis occured somehow supports whatever supernatural pet theory they hold. This holds true for the event referred to as the Big Bang and what existed “before” if anything. God of the gaps is the default position for every unknown in our compedium of knowledge, an absurd and ignorant proposition. Somehow the truth position of “we don’t know” or “we don’t know yet” equates in their feeble minds as a weakness that inconceivably strengthens their argument for the supernatural.

Meanwhile whenever they are asked for evidence of their pet god what you get is a combination of presuppossitional gymnastics worthy of Olympic gold or circular arguments but nary a trace of hard proof. None, nada, zip, zilch. Look, I’m not asking for anything more than I ask of any claimant for any other claim, present verifiable evidence and be done with it, shit or get off the pot.

Now, back to something actually important, how to make a proper potato salad (hint, it requires sour cream).

I can't help noticing that you are not only a declared atheist, but also proud of it, almost conceited, and I don't understand why. Do you feel a certain satisfaction when you think about yourself as an atheist, as opposed to a "stupid" believer? Are you doing this out of pride, or just to spite people who believe? I believe, and I'm not religious. I think religion is one of the worst things that ever happened to mankind. Because religion lies to us about God. It tells us that (1) there is a God and that (2) God is good. The lie in not in the first part of the statement, but in the second. That's the difficult thing to digest, and of course any decent human being would rather deny the former than accept the opposite of the latter. However, you might say, "Yeah, but if we deny the former we don't have to worry about the latter, do we?" True. My hat off to you for saying that. Now, let me tell you a story about my "personal" relationship with God:

I am a normal human being, but I have an "imaginary" boss who keeps telling me what to do. I don't normally like that, but what am I going to do? He's my boss. Sometimes I don't understand why he wants me to do certain things, but, again, he's my boss. I have to do what he says, or else.
At some point, after being bossed around all over the place for a long time, I say to myself: "Okay, screw this! I've had enough." I confront him and we get into a fight, which immediately turns into a feud. He's so cruel that he doesn't even fire me. No! He actually makes sure that I can't get a transfer and will never be able to work anywhere else, because he wants to keep a close eye on me and make my life miserable. He wants to pay me back for having dared to tell him off.
Now my life is even worse that it was before. At least then he was only my horrible boss; now he's my revengeful, horrible enemy-boss, who's reinventing the art of torturing. On me! Finally, at the end of my wits, I ask myself: "How can I possibly get out of this predicament? Can anybody help me here?" Just stop imagining him, dummy! You said he was your imaginary boss. Yeah, I did, didn't I? But I used quotations, didn't you notice? He's not imaginary at all. I wish he were!

It doesn't matter what I believe; all that matters is what I can prove!
08-02-2015, 07:41 PM
(08-02-2015 07:38 PM)Job_1207 Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 07:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The longer I’m here the less reason I find in discussing anything having to do with gods with theists. Yes it can be entertaining and good for a few laughs but in the end we might as well be talking to a wall. Hey! That reminds me of this story...

Where was I? Oh, right...arguing with theists.

First thing they do is point at their holy scriptures and quote them as though this holds any sway over me. I would have to believe them first and I don’t so they might as well quote to me something from The Lord of The Rings Trilogy as it would have as much impact. Like Chas says the Bible is the claim not the evidence.

Then they want to riddle you with question regarding the origins of life as though somehow humanity’s continuing quest to conclusively answer how abiogenesis occured somehow supports whatever supernatural pet theory they hold. This holds true for the event referred to as the Big Bang and what existed “before” if anything. God of the gaps is the default position for every unknown in our compedium of knowledge, an absurd and ignorant proposition. Somehow the truth position of “we don’t know” or “we don’t know yet” equates in their feeble minds as a weakness that inconceivably strengthens their argument for the supernatural.

Meanwhile whenever they are asked for evidence of their pet god what you get is a combination of presuppossitional gymnastics worthy of Olympic gold or circular arguments but nary a trace of hard proof. None, nada, zip, zilch. Look, I’m not asking for anything more than I ask of any claimant for any other claim, present verifiable evidence and be done with it, shit or get off the pot.

Now, back to something actually important, how to make a proper potato salad (hint, it requires sour cream).

I can't help noticing that you are not only a declared atheist, but also proud of it, almost conceited, and I don't understand why. Do you feel a certain satisfaction when you think about yourself as an atheist, as opposed to a "stupid" believer? Are you doing this out of pride, or just to spite people who believe? I believe, and I'm not religious. I think religion is one of the worst things that ever happened to mankind. Because religion lies to us about God. It tells us that (1) there is a God and that (2) God is good. The lie in not in the first part of the statement, but in the second. That's the difficult thing to digest, and of course any decent human being would rather deny the former than accept the opposite of the latter. However, you might say, "Yeah, but if we deny the former we don't have to worry about the latter, do we?" True. My hat off to you for saying that. Now, let me tell you a story about my "personal" relationship with God:

I am a normal human being, but I have an "imaginary" boss who keeps telling me what to do. I don't normally like that, but what am I going to do? He's my boss. Sometimes I don't understand why he wants me to do certain things, but, again, he's my boss. I have to do what he says, or else.
At some point, after being bossed around all over the place for a long time, I say to myself: "Okay, screw this! I've had enough." I confront him and we get into a fight, which immediately turns into a feud. He's so cruel that he doesn't even fire me. No! He actually makes sure that I can't get a transfer and will never be able to work anywhere else, because he wants to keep a close eye on me and make my life miserable. He wants to pay me back for having dared to tell him off.
Now my life is even worse that it was before. At least then he was only my "horrible" boss; now he's my revengeful, horrible enemy-boss, who's reinventing the art of torturing. On me! Finally, at the end of my wits, I ask myself: "How can I possibly get out of this predicament? Can anybody help me here?" Just stop imagining him, dummy! You said he was your imaginary boss. Yeah, I did, didn't I? But I used quotations, didn't you notice? He's not imaginary at all. I wish he were!

There are meds for people who follow imaginary bosses...

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-02-2015, 07:42 PM
(08-02-2015 07:30 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  

Since you seem to have some sort of claim that you'll debate any atheist about, why don't you lay it all out for us?
I assume you have an imaginary friend you think is real, don't make us guess.
08-02-2015, 07:42 PM
(08-02-2015 04:41 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I wonder where our theist went? Maybe he got hungry or took a nap?

He's admitted that his God is imaginary, what else is there for him to say?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick