I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
11-02-2015, 12:08 AM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(10-02-2015 11:00 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Your god's form of justice is extremely sociopathic; sending someone to hell for eternity is not forgiving.

Not to mention letting all those starving children just starve while helping some over-paid self important person win an award, find their lost car keys or win the big game.

Drinking Beverage

Really, as a fictional character god is written as rather a sociopath.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-02-2015, 01:03 AM
COTW, why dontcha tell us about God in your life? After all it can't *just* be the Bible right? Otherwise you could go read the Bhagavad Gita and be Hindu next week. So... what's God ever done for you?

Has God helped you find your car keys?
Cured your disease?
Given you money?
Helped you when you were down?
Made your business prosper?
Kept you safe in times of danger?
Tested you by doing nasty stuff to you? We all know it's just good fun right? God doing the "refiner's fire" thing...

Or does he do things in a more aloof fashion. Sorta out there in the starlight smiling benevolently down and approving of you trolling atheist forums but not taking an active role?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
11-02-2015, 08:08 AM
(11-02-2015 01:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  COTW, why dontcha tell us about God in your life? After all it can't *just* be the Bible right? Otherwise you could go read the Bhagavad Gita and be Hindu next week. So... what's God ever done for you?

Cured your disease?
Given you money?
Tested you by doing nasty stuff to you? We all know it's just good fun right? God doing the "refiner's fire" thing...

Or does he do things in a more aloof fashion. Sorta out there in the starlight smiling benevolently down and approving of you trolling atheist forums but not taking an active role?

Your post morondog inspired the following thought experiment.

Take a random sample of people some from this forum (atheists) and some from whatever forum/church Pall_of_the_Mind attends (theists).

Each person makes two lists, one of 3 things in their lives that they consider fortunate and the other of 3 things they consider unfortunate. The lists can’t allude to whether you are atheist or theist. Fold them and thrown them in a bowl, pull one out and just from reading could a third party tell who is who?

For instance my list might be:

1. Happy marriage
2. Prosperous business
3. Fairly good health

1. Estranged brother
2. Bouts of diverticulitis
3. Noisy neighbors

Would a third person be able to tell who prays and is constantly asking God for stuff or not?

I am certain that the answer is NO, no they would not be able to tell. You would find that the lives of people who pray and those that don’t are indistinguishable. Both have “good” and “bad” in their lives. What does this prove? No fucking clue other than all the time believers spend praying is wasted as their lives are indistinguishable by any metric from those that don’t to an outsider. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2015, 08:54 AM
(10-02-2015 08:00 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Either way, whether or not he saw Jesus personally or Jesus spoke to him personally, it was still Jesus. So what is the point? Jesus spoke to him, and I will assume if Jesus spoke to you, that would make you a believer as well...sooo?

As I suspected, you are unwilling or unable to see reality. A story says that Paul saw what is clearly described as a vision and you accept at face value that it actually happened and was actually Jesus. Yet you dismiss similar stories from other religions because reasons.

Quote:It is about accepting the system of beliefs that has more explanatory evidence...and I believe Christianity does.

Free clue: Christianity doesn't actually explain anything. It simply says that everything you don't understand is magic so don't bother trying to find actual answers.

I've tried repeatedly to clear up your misconceptions about what atheism is and what science is but you are too deeply indoctrinated to think clearly. As I said before, I don't think you are stupid, just incredibly scared of looking at these claims from an impartial view. I hope you someday find the courage to actually look at what supports your beliefs because you will find that it is smoke and mirrors. Until then, I'm done except to say that I'm sorry to see anybody so deceived.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
11-02-2015, 08:55 AM
(10-02-2015 07:18 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Point?

[Image: Anti-intellectualism+has+been+a+constant...wledge.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2015, 09:48 AM
(10-02-2015 07:01 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 09:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It doesn't, but we are not the ones making outrageous claims.

Most of you on here DO in fact claim that God didn't do it..and to say that God didn't do it is implying that nature did it...and to me, saying that nature can create eyes when it can't see, or create consciousness when it can't think..to me, that is an outrageous implication.

Most of us make no such claim. We make no positive claims at all. Science looks at the available evidence and draws conclusions about what happened. It says nothing about "whodunit". That question isn't even in the picture. You're the one who seems obsessed with finding an "author" or "creator". We don't personify "Nature" as a creator. We look at what happened, according to the available evidence. Period. We don't care who the creator was, or whether there even was a creator. That question is irrelevant.

Quote:
(10-02-2015 09:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The Bible doesn't count -- it's a book, not evidence. Anyone can write a book. I can write a book and claim that I am God -- doesn't prove anything.

I never used to Bible to support theism. Try again.

Yes you have, whether or not you admit it. The idea that the universe had to have a creator at all, and who that creator might have been, comes straight out of the Bible, and you are constantly quoting the Bible to support your assertions. Take away the Bible, and you are exactly where we are -- you know nothing about any "creator". It makes as much sense to say that the universe has always existed, as to say that it was created by some magic man -- who has always existed. Either way, something has always existed. Claiming that this something is a magic man rather than the universe itself simplifies nothing and explains nothing. And without the Bible, there is no reason whatsoever to make such a supposition.
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure what Wild believes about nature - he believes in god but doesn't believe nature exists?
11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
(11-02-2015 10:41 AM)Helio Wrote:  I'm not sure what Wild believes about nature - he believes in god but doesn't believe nature exists?

Forest for the trees type stuff I think.

It’s hard to see the obvious for the ego.

11-02-2015, 11:02 AM
(11-02-2015 08:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 01:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  COTW, why dontcha tell us about God in your life? After all it can't *just* be the Bible right? Otherwise you could go read the Bhagavad Gita and be Hindu next week. So... what's God ever done for you?

Cured your disease?
Given you money?

Your post morondog inspired the following thought experiment.

Take a random sample of people some from this forum (atheists) and some from whatever forum/church Pall_of_the_Mind attends (theists).

Each person makes two lists, one of 3 things in their lives that they consider fortunate and the other of 3 things they consider unfortunate. The lists can’t allude to whether you are atheist or theist. Fold them and thrown them in a bowl, pull one out and just from reading could a third party tell who is who?

For instance my list might be:

1. Happy marriage
2. Prosperous business
3. Fairly good health

1. Estranged brother
2. Bouts of diverticulitis
3. Noisy neighbors

Would a third person be able to tell who prays and is constantly asking God for stuff or not?

I am certain that the answer is NO, no they would not be able to tell. You would find that the lives of people who pray and those that don’t are indistinguishable. Both have “good” and “bad” in their lives. What does this prove? No fucking clue other than all the time believers spend praying is wasted as their lives are indistinguishable by any metric from those that don’t to an outsider. Drinking Beverage

I did this exact thing when I pulled out of religion, I noted the difference when I prayed for everything and then prayed for nothing. There was no difference at all, it became apparent that every believer that thought that their prayers were answered was playing a game of deception on themselves.

The implications were many:

1.God doesn't answer prayers in a clear, falsifiable way, only in an interpretive, subjective way.

2. This god concept I believed has a fundamental digression from reality.

3.There is no difference between what I observed and what one could expect from a god that doesn't exist at all.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM
(10-02-2015 10:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: arguing-with-retards.jpg]

I was just about to ask if this is when the pigeon shits on the board. Then FC posts the image.