I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
11-02-2015, 11:57 AM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(11-02-2015 08:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
Your post morondog inspired the following thought experiment.
Each person makes two lists, one of 3 things in their lives that they consider fortunate and the other of 3 things they consider unfortunate. The lists can’t allude to whether you are atheist or theist. Fold them and thrown them in a bowl, pull one out and just from reading could a third party tell who is who?

Would a third person be able to tell who prays and is constantly asking God for stuff or not?

I am certain that the answer is NO, no they would not be able to tell. You would find that the lives of people who pray and those that don’t are indistinguishable. Both have “good” and “bad” in their lives. What does this prove? No fucking clue other than all the time believers spend praying is wasted as their lives are indistinguishable by any metric from those that don’t to an outsider. Drinking Beverage

I think we should try this.

Start a new thread and get people to PM their lists.

You could then post them and ask people to guess the contributor.

I think it would be quite easy to guess most people here. So to make it harder, ask for just 3 things (2 'good' and 1 bad or vice versa).

I predict that over 90% of the regular contributors will be correctly guessable even without a corresponding list of those who are participating; and perhaps 30% of the non-regulars if there is a published list of participants.

That said, I think your point stands for a random sampling of any generic population.

But it sounds like a fun forum game. Go for it.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2015, 12:10 PM
(11-02-2015 11:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 08:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
Your post morondog inspired the following thought experiment.
Each person makes two lists, one of 3 things in their lives that they consider fortunate and the other of 3 things they consider unfortunate. The lists can’t allude to whether you are atheist or theist. Fold them and thrown them in a bowl, pull one out and just from reading could a third party tell who is who?

Would a third person be able to tell who prays and is constantly asking God for stuff or not?

I am certain that the answer is NO, no they would not be able to tell. You would find that the lives of people who pray and those that don’t are indistinguishable. Both have “good” and “bad” in their lives. What does this prove? No fucking clue other than all the time believers spend praying is wasted as their lives are indistinguishable by any metric from those that don’t to an outsider. Drinking Beverage

I think we should try this.

Start a new thread and get people to PM their lists.

You could then post them and ask people to guess the contributor.

I think it would be quite easy to guess most people here. So to make it harder, ask for just 3 things (2 'good' and 1 bad or vice versa).

I predict that over 90% of the regular contributors will be correctly guessable even without a corresponding list of those who are participating; and perhaps 30% of the non-regulars if there is a published list of participants.

That said, I think your point stands for a random sampling of any generic population.

But it sounds like a fun forum game. Go for it.

Thumbsup

like it!!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
11-02-2015, 12:44 PM
(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually it doesn't say that at all. It says "in the beginning... bla bla bla". It says nothing about a "universe".

Your ignorance continues to creep out, I see. First of all, just because the Bible doesn't use the modern day term "universe" that we are all familiar with in regards to the cosmos doesn't mean anything when taking into account that the word "heaven" in the Hebrew sense can mean, but not limited to...outer space.

Genesis 1 is referring to an entire creation account, which would include man, animals, vegetation, and the cosmos....and Genesis isn't the only book of the Bible that refers to God creating the universe either...there are many more.

So please, keep the ignorance to a low, and you can do that by properly educating yourself before you speak on such matters.

(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If there was a "beginning" then time already existed.

In the beginning, it was time that was created. A cause does not necessarily have to precede an effect...it is called 'SIMULTAENOUS causation'...but I wouldn't expect you to know about that kind of stuff.

(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Oh well. Try harder. You ancient magic-holy book doesn't explain how a UNIVERSE was created

Right, it doesn't explain how the universe was created, it just tells us that it was. Just like you can't explain how life could have arisen from nonlife, but you tell yourself that it did. Same shit.

(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  how Causality ALREADY existed, how TIME came to be in place. Of course they didn't KNOW about a "universe" then, and no scholar claims they did.

"In the BEGINNING, GOD created the heavens and the earth"...the heavens would mean the universe...so basically, it is saying that the universe had a beginning...this was said thousands of years before Newton, Gailileo, Einstein, and Hawking.

Science told us in the 1920's what Christians had been saying for thousands of years prior, that the universe began to exist.
11-02-2015, 12:59 PM
(11-02-2015 12:44 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually it doesn't say that at all. It says "in the beginning... bla bla bla". It says nothing about a "universe".

Your ignorance continues to creep out, I see. First of all, just because the Bible doesn't use the modern day term "universe" that we are all familiar with in regards to the cosmos doesn't mean anything when taking into account that the word "heaven" in the Hebrew sense can mean, but not limited to...outer space.

Genesis 1 is referring to an entire creation account, which would include man, animals, vegetation, and the cosmos....and Genesis isn't the only book of the Bible that refers to God creating the universe either...there are many more.

So please, keep the ignorance to a low, and you can do that by properly educating yourself before you speak on such matters.

(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If there was a "beginning" then time already existed.

In the beginning, it was time that was created. A cause does not necessarily have to precede an effect...it is called 'SIMULTAENOUS causation'...but I wouldn't expect you to know about that kind of stuff.

(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Oh well. Try harder. You ancient magic-holy book doesn't explain how a UNIVERSE was created

Right, it doesn't explain how the universe was created, it just tells us that it was. Just like you can't explain how life could have arisen from nonlife, but you tell yourself that it did. Same shit.

(10-02-2015 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  how Causality ALREADY existed, how TIME came to be in place. Of course they didn't KNOW about a "universe" then, and no scholar claims they did.

"In the BEGINNING, GOD created the heavens and the earth"...the heavens would mean the universe...so basically, it is saying that the universe had a beginning...this was said thousands of years before Newton, Gailileo, Einstein, and Hawking.

Science told us in the 1920's what Christians had been saying for thousands of years prior, that the universe began to exist.

You should get the "banned for being a dick" award.
My crystal ball sees your future.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
11-02-2015, 01:31 PM
(11-02-2015 11:30 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 10:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: arguing-with-retards.jpg]

I was just about to ask if this is when the pigeon shits on the board. Then FC posts the image.

Gotta be fast around these here parts partner Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Actually - there is new speculation the universe always existed. Source.
11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
(11-02-2015 01:33 PM)Helio Wrote:  Actually - there is new speculation the universe always existed. Source.

There's also a link to articles in our science section.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-02-2015, 01:42 PM
(10-02-2015 08:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So it's about reason after all. Not faith. Not a relationship with Jebus.
You're not really a Christian are you ?
You just have no better explanation.

Ignorance. If I am saying that Christianity has more explanatory evidence, that would seem to mean that I have REASON to believe that Christianity has more explanatory evidence than those other boot-leg religions. Duh.
11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
(10-02-2015 08:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 08:09 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Move it to the boxing ring...and make it so that others can't post to it.

Super-Moderator note:

It's there, if any others post in it, I'll (happily) delete the posts.

The floor is yours Call of the Wild, that is, if you actually intend to debate.

Ohhh ok...so I have your word on that, right?? Cool. I will make my response right after school tonight Thumbsup
11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Oops - see you got there first Smartass