I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
11-02-2015, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 10:19 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(11-02-2015 08:14 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 01:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  COTW, why dontcha tell us about God in your life? After all it can't *just* be the Bible right? Otherwise you could go read the Bhagavad Gita and be Hindu next week. So... what's God ever done for you?

Has God helped you find your car keys?
Cured your disease?
Given you money?
Helped you when you were down?
Made your business prosper?
Kept you safe in times of danger?
Tested you by doing nasty stuff to you? We all know it's just good fun right? God doing the "refiner's fire" thing...

Glad you asked. I do believe that two major incidents in my life occurred where I believe the power of prayer worked. I will gladly share both stories with you (and others) and be as brief as I can.

First off, I can't "prove" that it was because of God that these things happened, I just accept by faith that they did, based on prayer.

1. I was in the US Army, and was told I had to go to Iraq...this was back in 07, and when I was told, I was very very very nervous...Sadcryface <----kinda like this. A whirl of nervous emotion just took over my body. I didn't want to go lol. So on the bus, traveling to Baltimore on our way to the airport, everyone on the bus seemed to be in good spirits. Most of my fellow soldiers were young, as was I. But everyone seemed to didn't care, that we were being shipped off to a war zone. The bus was packed, and guys and gals were on the bus laughing, playing, making jokes...and I was the ONLY one quiet, nervous...and just flat out SCARED.

So as we were riding, I had my head down..I had my head up against the seat in front of me...face down, eyes closed...so I began to pray...and I asked God to please keep me safe as I began this journey into the unknown..I asked God to watch over me...then I told God, "God, if you exist, I know you are listening to me, and I'd like you to give me a sign to let me know that everything will be ok, that I will get through this." But what sign could he give me? So we are traveling on this highway...on a highway that I've NEVER been on before.

I still had my head down, eyes closed..and I said "Lord, if I am going to make it through this, when I open my eyes and lift my head, the bus will just pass a McDonald's sign on the highway...and I opened my eyes, and slowly lifted my head, and as I looked up, within two seconds, as the bus was flying down the highway, to the right side of the road, THE BUS PASSED A MCDONALD'S SIGN.

Now some of you may say "But there are plenty of Mcdonald's signs on the road", which is true, but I said this prayer at a random place on a road that I've never been on, so what is the probability that we would just HAPPEN to pass that particular sign at that particular location. Not buying it. But I don't expect unbelievers to understand, this is a story that only a believer would understand...or open minded unbelievers.
Or does he do things in a more aloof fashion. Sorta out there in the starlight smiling benevolently down and approving of you trolling atheist forums but not taking an active role?

From that point on, I became filled with joy, and I truly felt that God spoke to me that day...and that is something that is going to stay with me forever.

2. My second story happened just last week, actually. I was riding on my way to scoop the wife up from work, and I saw a lot of commotion at one of the bus stops on the way, and from what I can see, there is this young fella on the ground, shaking tremendously...he was having a seizure. So I parked my vehicle and got out and rushed over there. I don't know if anyone in here ever witnessed someone having a seizure, but it is a scary sight. I walked over there, and closed my eyes and prayed.."Lord, please place your healing hands on this man, I know it is within your power oh heavenly Father" (there were more words than that, but you get the picture), and soon as I ended the prayer with "Amen" and opened my eyes and looked on the ground where the young man was, he had stopped shaking. He was shaking uncontrollably before I began praying, but once I finished praying, all of the shaking stopped!!! He was also slowly beginning to gain coherent speech. I contribute this to the Lord hearing and answering my prayers. Paramedics came and the man went to the hospital, but before he left I told him that I had prayed for him, and that everything would be ok.

Prayer works, people.

Again, I don't expect unbelievers to by any of this...but hey, it isn't for you to understand.

#1 - MacDonald’s restaurant sign huh? Some food for thought here sparky (pun intended).
There are 14,267 MacDonald restaurants in the US http://www.statista.com/statistics/25604...h-america/ (please notice how I take the time to cite my sources Thumbsup ).

It spent 988 million on advertising http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The-Bi...ng-in-2013 (Christian Science Monitor btw), but that’s just the parent company. The franchises spent, brace yourself for this:
“Restaurants spent $6.449 billion on measured media (TV, magazines, newspapers, Internet display ads, radio, outdoor boards and free-standing inserts)”.

Of all the “signs” (I love puns) you could have asked for you literally could not have picked a more ubiquitous one. Congratulations, I didn’t think you could lower the bar for evidence any further but lo and behold you’ve once again outdone yourself!

#2 - Laying of the hands huh? I don’t want to shake you up too much ( Big Grin ) but...
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/epilepsy-1...ng-seizure
"As the seizure ends, the postictal phase occurs - this is the recovery period after the seizure. Some people recover immediately while others may take minutes to hours to feel like their usual self.”

To give yourself and your prayer credit for bringing a seizure to an end has to be one of the most hubris filled (go ahead, look up hubris if you need to, take your time, we have all day) egotistical, pompous (go ahead, I’ll wait for this one too) arrogant, pretentious and supercilious (really? fine, I’ll continue to wait) things I’ve ever heard! Holy fucking shit! While you’re at it since you seem to have a direct line to the Big Guy why don’t you walk into the closest Children’s Hospital and lay your hands on them and cure them all? Dude with your Powers of Prayer it is a travesty that you haven’t done this already. What’s wrong with you, are you that selfish?

Here, I’m going to do something for you, here’s a link http://www.hoax-slayer.com to e-mail hoaxes, I want to help you so that you don’t fall for these kind of things as I feel your “bullshit detector” might be broken. You don’t have to thank me, really, we atheists are very kind and helpful, it’s just the way we are.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2015, 09:57 PM
(11-02-2015 09:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
Here, I’m going to do something for you, here’s a link http://www.hoax-slayer.com to e-mail hoaxes, I want to help you so that you don’t fall for these kind of things as I feel your “bullshit detector” might be broken. You don’t have to thank me, really, we atheists are very kind and helpful, it’s just the way we are.

Shhhhh! Don't tell him!

Hey there CotW, I have a friend who is a Nigerian prince but since the revolution there, he hasn't been able to off-load his millions into off-shore accounts and was wondering if you could help.

Just PM me your bank account details and I'll get the ball rolling.

Cheers

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
11-02-2015, 10:01 PM
(11-02-2015 09:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...I feel your “bullshit detector” might be broken.

You think?
Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-02-2015, 10:09 PM
I never make fun of those personal stories and I never ask for them either.

You can't argue them.

All I know is that people lie for Jesus all the time. I know I told more than a few whoppers when I was a believer. They sounded really good.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-02-2015, 10:09 PM
(11-02-2015 10:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 09:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...I feel your “bullshit detector” might be broken.

You think?
Facepalm

Just an inkling. Sleepy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-02-2015, 10:15 PM
(11-02-2015 08:40 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  If you can't empirically demonstrate how life could have originated from nonliving material, then this post is meaningless.

Non-living sperm meets non-living egg and voilà. You don't really know what "empirical" means, do you?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-02-2015, 10:16 PM
(11-02-2015 10:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I never make fun of those personal stories and I never ask for them either.

You can't argue them.

All I know is that people lie for Jesus all the time. I know I told more than a few whoppers when I was a believer. They sounded really good.

Moms, you know I Heart you but I think letting these anecdotal stories of miracles go unchallenged when such ordinary and simple explanations are at hand would be a disservice to everyone and anyone who reads this thread.

I’m not so much arguing as I am pointing out potential explanations to what he sees as God’s intervening hand. If there was ever a situation where Occam’s Razor applies is here, at these two heartfelt but ridiculous conclusions.

11-02-2015, 10:21 PM
(11-02-2015 10:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I never make fun of those personal stories

Indeed but one can ridicule the absurdity of the underlying failed epistemology without ridiculing the person who extrapolates a belief from their 'feels'.

I'm just relieved to discover he's not a product of a European or Asian education system.

Big Grin

Murika, I feel your pain.

Wink

11-02-2015, 10:24 PM
(11-02-2015 08:40 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  It is awfully easy to explain it in text, but awfully hard to go in a lab and demonstrate it, isn't it? Laugh out load

You laugh, but it's in total ignorance. Much of it has been demonstrated in a lab. And, if you understand what that means, then you understand it's only a matter of time and the rest of the pieces will also be demonstrated. There's no doubt. Go read some science books or watch that video series that someone (Chas or Bucky Ball, I believe) posted for you early on in this thread. You obviously haven't watched it yet.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-02-2015, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 10:35 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
I remember when my ballast pump failed on my deep sea exploration. As I drifted through the darkness, 15000 feet below the surface, I could see my air supply depleting. And just when I was certain of my impending doom, like a beacon of hope piercing the ebon abyss... I saw the golden arches. Roland McDolan and Jesus himself rescued me that day.
[Image: rolan-mc-dolan.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post