I will debate any atheist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
14-02-2015, 08:59 AM
RE: I will debate any atheist on here
(11-02-2015 10:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  You laugh, but it's in total ignorance. Much of it has been demonstrated in a lab.

No, it hasn't. The closest thing we've come to life from nonlife is the Miller-Urey experiment, and even then those guys were still an awfully longgggggg way from life, buddy. And by "closest", I mean gaining about a foot on a thousand mile road. Yeah, you gained a little ground, but you are still a long way from home Laugh out load

(11-02-2015 10:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  And, if you understand what that means, then you understand it's only a matter of time and the rest of the pieces will also be demonstrated.

Wow. Whenever naturalists can't answer a question that is supposed to be scientifically explainable, they appeal to their second god: Time.

"Given billions of years, anything can happen" or "It takes so long to occur, we have to wait a few billion years, and then we will see" Laugh out load

I agree, it did take long...so long that it didn't happen at all Laugh out loadLaugh out load

(11-02-2015 10:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  There's no doubt. Go read some science books or watch that video series that someone (Chas or Bucky Ball, I believe) posted for you early on in this thread. You obviously haven't watched it yet.

Not only did I watch it, but I responded to it. The context of the video did not demonstrate/explain how life could have originated from nonlife...so YOU are the one that didn't watch it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2015, 09:29 AM
(12-02-2015 12:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 10:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I never make fun of those personal stories and I never ask for them either.

You can't argue them.

All I know is that people lie for Jesus all the time. I know I told more than a few whoppers when I was a believer. They sounded really good.

I think CotW is telling the truth in both of those stories, which is interesting of itself. He's obviously aware of the weakness of at least the McDonald's story but he didn't try to dress it up or make it more impressive - for example by pretending he'd chosen a less common sign as his "sign from God".

CotW, yeah, those two stories... I dunno man. I get the Iraq war thing and being scared shitless. I sure as fuck would grab hold of anything that gave a little comfort - I have prayed similar prayers myself at times of stress, in the long long ago, when I thought it might be of some use. Although I never got as far as linking McDonald's and religion Wink But yeah, they give you some comfort, some reason for thinking a Big Guy out there is looking out for you...

But ja, in the end... I think they're both easily explained as you being already a believer - thus, primed to view things in a certain light - and also being a bit credulous and also in the one instance stressed. Wanting to believe. Seeing the truth that you wanted to see.

If you'd chosen instead that God as a sign should show you a fully dressed Masai warrior holding a placard saying "God loves you <your name>", do you *really* think *that* prayer would have been answered? You kinda had to know you were setting the bar quite low by asking for a McDonald's sign...

Luke 18:27 "What is impossible for man is possible with God".

I get your point, though. The task of strengthening one's faith is an uphill battle.
14-02-2015, 09:32 AM
(14-02-2015 08:39 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Allow me to shut that shit down reallll quick Big Grin

The only thing you’ve shut down is your reasoning skills.

(14-02-2015 08:39 AM)‘Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  First off, I could care less how much money “restaurants” spent on advertising. I am talking about a specific restaurant billboard, at a particular time, at a particular place. The prayer was WHEN I open my eyes, at that particular time, at that particular location, show me a McDonald’s sign, and that’s exactly what I got.

Laugh out load You crack me up!

(14-02-2015 08:39 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  If you were kidnapped by ISIS (in the United States) and while driving to the place of your execution, you guys are driving on any random highway, you were told to close your eyes for 15 seconds, and when you open them, if you guys pass a McDonalds sign your life will be spared, but if you don't, the execution will carry on. I don't care how much money or how many McDonald's signs are out there, the chances of you passing that particular sign, at that particular time, at that particular area is extremely low...so low that I am willing to bet you ANYTHING that you wouldn't make it, buddy.

And not only that, but hell, in Arizona on Interstate 10E going towards Tucson, as long of a highway that is, there ISN’T many McDonald signs out there along the highway...maybe a total of 2...so I am not buying that “they are everywhere” crap.

Oh, well in that case...Laughat
http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/
You equate randomness with miracles, if you had any understanding of the laws of probability you would rethink your “miracle”. Unfortunately for you you have drunk so much Kool-Aid you can’t analyze reality without your ingrained disposition to insert woo into it.

The way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason ~Benjamin Franklin

(14-02-2015 08:39 AM)‘Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  The guy was shaking before I said the prayer, and he stopped after I said the prayer, point blank, period. Now, this is just one of the brute facts in life...the guy was shaking before...and he stopped immediately after..plain and simple...you can call it what you want to call it. I am calling it how I see it, and that is that my prayers were answered by the living God.

As far as Children's Hospital is concerned...that did cross my mind...for example, I thought about how I would have felt if I laid hands on the guy and instead of saying a personal prayer to God for him, I said "In that name of Jesus, you are healed!!!" and then the guy stopped shaking and got up off the ground as if he was never there in the first place. Do I believe that it can happen? Hell yeah....do I have the faith that it will happen, not quite, unfortunately.

Your ignorance of medical symptoms DOES NOT EQUATE to miracles. Facepalm

You have become my poster boy for all the things that are wrong with the religious. Congratulations. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-02-2015, 09:36 AM
(12-02-2015 04:12 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Simple and basic? You call the origin of life a simple and basic question?

Well hell, if you are admitting that it is difficult, that says a lot..because after all, nature figured it out, and it can't see, or think...so how come a mindless and blind process is able to do something that intelligent human beings can't do?

(12-02-2015 04:12 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  While we are approaching the solution and theories like Abiogenesis are being put forth (while Evolution has tons of evidence, this one not yet), yes, we are not sure yet.

I don't believe that evolution (without a divine hand involved) can be said to be a fact.

(12-02-2015 04:12 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  So, does that mean we can start to speculate and think a deity did it? That's the God of the Gaps fallacy (coined by an evangelist by the way), "I don't know, therefore God".

How is "nature of the gaps" any more of an explanation than God of the Gaps?

(12-02-2015 04:12 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  There are 7 requirements to be classified as living. I think AronRa has talked about this a lot in his videos (he's a biology expert, I suggest checking out his educational videos):

1. Living things are composed of cells.
2. Living things have different levels of organization.
3. Living things use energy.
4. Living things respond to their environment.
5. Living things grow.
6. Living things reproduce.
7. Living things adapt to their environment.

5 and especially 6 are already enough to see that atoms are not alive: they do not grow, they do not reproduce.

Looks like science is fighting an uphill battle.

(12-02-2015 04:12 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Girlyman has already answered this.

Did she/he really? Laugh out load
14-02-2015, 09:41 AM
(12-02-2015 06:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 08:14 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  THE BUS PASSED A MCDONALD'S SIGN.

Congratulations. You just turned into a parody of yourself.

Yeah, I just thought of a great song for the parody..Remember that Ace of Base song "The Sign".

"I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign". Cool

But in my version, take out the "and it", and replace it with "when I"...

"I saw the sign, when I opened up my eyes, I saw the sign" hahaha Thumbsup
14-02-2015, 09:46 AM
(12-02-2015 06:17 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If McDonalds is a sign from god....what the hell does it mean? Blink

It means that McDonald's is sponsored by the Almighty.
14-02-2015, 09:47 AM
(12-02-2015 10:46 AM)pablo Wrote:  Eve was made from a McRib. Tongue

I can just imagine what the last supper looked like.
14-02-2015, 09:49 AM
(12-02-2015 12:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  He has to be pulling our legs with the McDonald's story. Either that, or he's really really stupid -- and really really gullible...

I think that believing that inanimate matter (nonliving material) suddenly coming to life and beginning to talk, think, and have sex...I think that idea is really stupid, and really gullible.
14-02-2015, 09:51 AM
(12-02-2015 12:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So far the jury is out on if he actually wants a real debate. He has yet to reply to the debate he accepted in the boxing ring. If he's just interested in bloviating then fine, but so far I'm not impressed with his approach. If this continues I'll just move this thread into the Melee.

So just in case...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...f-the-wild

Oh, please Cool
14-02-2015, 09:54 AM
(14-02-2015 09:41 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 06:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Congratulations. You just turned into a parody of yourself.

Yeah, I just thought of a great song for the parody..Remember that Ace of Base song "The Sign".

"I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign". Cool

But in my version, take out the "and it", and replace it with "when I"...

"I saw the sign, when I opened up my eyes, I saw the sign" hahaha Thumbsup

Had you been traveling across Greenland or the Congo your fanciful story might have had greater gravitas.

[Image: macdonalds.png]

This is how everyone here sees you

[Image: Ronald%20McDonald%202.jpg]

Laugh out load

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce