I will debate any theist on here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-02-2015, 06:12 AM
RE: I will debate any theist on here
You can debate me then, but I warn you...

I have crushed all the other atheists I have debated before.

Which was mostly due to the sledgehammer I was wielding, but..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Jay Leno referred to that syndrome as "laugh ears"....

It's the result of a comedian bombing on stage - but is so self-delusional - that he hears the audience rolling with laughter....

When in reality it's "crickets".....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-02-2015, 07:13 AM
I feel like the title could be changed to ....
"I will fight any 3 year old child."

Here are the rules

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
24-02-2015, 07:26 AM
(23-02-2015 11:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  1. If you claim there is a "god" person - you bring them to the table.
Invisible buddies don't count. Unless you bring a being we can all see and touch - you're just bringing your delusions. I could claim to bring "The Great Pumpkin". But without visual verification - it's just a crap claim.

Wouldn't be possible, because a question of God's existence is not the equivalent of a UFO existing, nor would the process of verifying this be the same. Instead it's sort of like returning home to find your door kicked in, and your several items missing, and concluding that you have been robbed, thereby inferring a robber behind the act, or at least a being capable of kicking doors in, and taking your items. We don't have to locate the particular robber, to infer that we've been robbed.

God beliefs, are often just a series of teleological beliefs, that life has a certain narrative purpose to it, a moral arc, a meaning, rather than being purely sound and fury, signifying nothing. God is merely the condition of possibility.

Quote:Any "evidence" you bring must withstand the evidence standards of a US court of law. Hearsay isn't permissible. Old books written by questionable authors go straight to the garbage bin.

Typically hearsay can be admissible in court when the declarant is unavailable.

Quote: The subject of debate shall be of nature that is in line with your religious belief - if you're looking for a debate about quantum mechanics, baking recipes, or the love life of a darter snail, I'm not interested.

And who decides what is or isn't a part of one's religious beliefs?
24-02-2015, 09:13 AM
(24-02-2015 07:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-02-2015 11:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  1. If you claim there is a "god" person - you bring them to the table.
Invisible buddies don't count. Unless you bring a being we can all see and touch - you're just bringing your delusions. I could claim to bring "The Great Pumpkin". But without visual verification - it's just a crap claim.

Wouldn't be possible, because a question of God's existence is not the equivalent of a UFO existing, nor would the process of verifying this be the same. Instead it's sort of like returning home to find your door kicked in, and your several items missing, and concluding that you have been robbed, thereby inferring a robber behind the act, or at least a being capable of kicking doors in, and taking your items. We don't have to locate the particular robber, to infer that we've been robbed.

And we keep asking for evidence of the kicked-in door and the missing items. You (and the rest) keep failing to provide it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Maybe he means:

You come back to your house and you find it exactly like you left it. Then you make the claim that it was robbed but the robbers put everything back so you couldn't tell it had been robbed! The perfect crime.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
24-02-2015, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2015 10:00 AM by Tomasia.)
(24-02-2015 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  And we keep asking for evidence of the kicked-in door and the missing items. You (and the rest) keep failing to provide it.

In reality the question is not about evidence, but about it's interpretation. It's never really a disagreement about evidence, as it is about its interpretation. Whether something is suggestive of this, or of that.

Whether all of this is suggestive of some unguided process, a series of coincidences, all sound and fury, signifying nothing, nihilistic at it's core, or if it's something more than this, signifying something rather than nothing.

The "all of this" is what's being interpreted, and each of us is drawn to our own particular conclusion, and it's only a question of which holds true, which has taken a great totality into account, which one perceives our predicument with greater depth and precision, and which perspective is less complete than the other, only seeing a partiality of what the other sees.

In reality we live in the same house, perhaps some of us have only occupied a single room in the house, which was unaffected by the robbery. Since we've never left our room we fail to have observed the missing items, the broken door, to perceive the signs. And an observation of our single room, allows us to believe no robbery took place. We demand that others convince us of the robbery, while being unwilling to step out of our rooms, and observe and draw a conclusion ourselves.
24-02-2015, 10:08 AM
(24-02-2015 07:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

God beliefs, are often just a series of teleological beliefs, that life has a certain narrative purpose to it, a moral arc, a meaning, rather than being purely sound and fury, signifying nothing. God is merely the condition of possibility.

Quote:Any "evidence" you bring must withstand the evidence standards of a US court of law. Hearsay isn't permissible. Old books written by questionable authors go straight to the garbage bin.

Typically hearsay can be admissible in court when the declarant is unavailable.

Quote: The subject of debate shall be of nature that is in line with your religious belief - if you're looking for a debate about quantum mechanics, baking recipes, or the love life of a darter snail, I'm not interested.

And who decides what is or isn't a part of one's religious beliefs?

You invoked the "god" person without bringing anything more than an invisible friend....

Rule #1

You lose.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-02-2015, 10:16 AM
(24-02-2015 09:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  And we keep asking for evidence of the kicked-in door and the missing items. You (and the rest) keep failing to provide it.

In reality the question is not about evidence, but about it's interpretation. It's never really a disagreement about evidence, as it is about its interpretation. Whether something is suggestive of this, or of that.

Whether all of this is suggestive of some unguided process, a series of coincidences, all sound and fury, signifying nothing, nihilistic at it's core, or if it's something more than this, signifying something rather than nothing.

The "all of this" is what's being interpreted, and each of us is drawn to our own particular conclusion, and it's only a question of which holds true, which has taken a great totality into account, which one perceives our predicument with greater depth and precision, and which perspective is less complete than the other, only seeing a partiality of what the other sees.

In reality we live in the same house, perhaps some of us have only occupied a single room in the house, which was unaffected by the robbery. Since we've never left our room we fail to have observed the missing items, the broken door, to perceive the signs. And an observation of our single room, allows us to believe no robbery took place. We demand that others convince us of the robbery, while being unwilling to step out of our rooms, and observe and draw a conclusion ourselves.

Present your evidence. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2015, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2015 11:34 AM by Tomasia.)
(24-02-2015 10:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  Present your evidence. Drinking Beverage

Evidence free of any particular interpretation? Sure.

The entirety of life, as subjectively observed and lived by me.