I will not die, the world will end.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-12-2012, 10:29 AM
RE: I will not die, the world will end.
(11-12-2012 12:35 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 04:03 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I think that, perhaps, if you exert so much thought about the nature of your death, you are more afraid of it than you think you are. Consider
This is akin to saying "You atheists sure do talk about God a lot...I'm thinking you must be closet believers."

Maybe it's just an intriguing topic of thought for some. The "how" and the "why" and the "where" and the "when" can be stimulating.
Or maybe, it is because the person is afraid. Hm? Consider

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2012, 10:32 AM
(17-12-2012 10:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 12:35 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  This is akin to saying "You atheists sure do talk about God a lot...I'm thinking you must be closet believers."

Maybe it's just an intriguing topic of thought for some. The "how" and the "why" and the "where" and the "when" can be stimulating.
Or maybe, it is because the person is afraid. Hm? Consider
It's possible, of course. But we can't jump to that conclusion simply because they're speaking about it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Instead of being remembered for how you died, how about being remembered for how well you lived? So many people spend their entire life worrying about that last day and forgetting to enjoy all the days in between.
I no longer worry about death, I just am worried that I am not going to get enough done before my day comes.
22-12-2012, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 01:06 PM by Vera.)
I still don't get the whole "I want to be remembered" thing. It won't matter to me one way or the other anyway. I do get wanting to contribute to the well-being of society - not because people will remember you, but because this is your own species and if you know of a way to better its lot or alleviate its suffering, you should do it. Not for the accolades or anything, but because you are a part of it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
22-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I have no need to worry about trivial matters such as death.

[Image: giphy.gif]
22-12-2012, 02:54 PM
(11-12-2012 12:35 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 04:03 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I think that, perhaps, if you exert so much thought about the nature of your death, you are more afraid of it than you think you are. Consider
This is akin to saying "You atheists sure do talk about God a lot...I'm thinking you must be closet believers."

True dat. And also, death is real and happens to everybody, so I think that warrants thinking about a bit.

What I really dislike, though, is when people think you can't talk about death ever, because that makes you morbid. I think it's a lot sicker to deny that death exists. Sure, maybe you shouldn't ruminate on it 23 hours a day, but you shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist (or it'll be probably be harder when you are faced with it). One of the only things I liked about Elizabeth kubler ross' book on Death and Dying was pointing out how institutionalized death has become, and it's hidden away and seen as an unnatural, awful thing all the time.

I mean, sometimes it is awful. The kids who got shot in school, that's awful. But when my 90 year old great grandma died, it was kind of expected, even if I wish she wasn't going to die, because people don't usually even live that long.

I can understand wanting to be remembered in the sense of having contributed something, but I hate the idea of funeral. I don't want one. I should make a will. I'd rather be donated to science than have a shitty, expensive piece of rock with my name on it. Or take up space being pointlessly preserved in an expensive shitty box. I'd rather have my organs harvested or be donated to a med school.
22-12-2012, 11:54 PM
(22-12-2012 02:54 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 12:35 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  This is akin to saying "You atheists sure do talk about God a lot...I'm thinking you must be closet believers."

True dat. And also, death is real and happens to everybody, so I think that warrants thinking about a bit.

What I really dislike, though, is when people think you can't talk about death ever, because that makes you morbid. I think it's a lot sicker to deny that death exists. Sure, maybe you shouldn't ruminate on it 23 hours a day, but you shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist (or it'll be probably be harder when you are faced with it). One of the only things I liked about Elizabeth kubler ross' book on Death and Dying was pointing out how institutionalized death has become, and it's hidden away and seen as an unnatural, awful thing all the time.
For me personally, I've had a loaded gun in my mouth, so death isn't a topic I shy away from anymore. Once you've faced it and chosen to push it out of the way, you realize that it's just another life experience. Not something to be worried about.

It truly irritates me when I bring it up for whatever reason and people around me get all serious and say "Don't talk about that." I keep my light-hearted demeanor but inside I'm raging because they wont let me make my point or express my view; simply because the topic is death. That's one of those times when I realize just how disconnected I really am. (Thank god. lol)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!