I wish I had never become an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 08:02 PM
RE: I wish I had never become an atheist
Maybe it's time to stop defining yourself by your atheism. Choose another label that they might see in a more positive light: humanist, secularist, free-thinker, pastafarian, etc. but that does not focus on your lack of belief in a deity.

When you think about it, how many people define themselves by what they are 'not'? Do vegetarians call themselves 'non-carnivores'? Do electricians call themselves 'non-physicians'? Of course not - they define themselves by who they *are*.

So then, what *are* you? A skeptic? A rationalist? A free-thinker? A humanist?

Let us know when you figure it out. There's no rush - you're still young and you don't have to stick with any label that you or anyone else pins on you.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 08:32 PM
(11-11-2013 08:02 PM)Scully Wrote:  Maybe it's time to stop defining yourself by your atheism. Choose another label that they might see in a more positive light: humanist, secularist, free-thinker, pastafarian, etc. but that does not focus on your lack of belief in a deity.

When you think about it, how many people define themselves by what they are 'not'? Do vegetarians call themselves 'non-carnivores'? Do electricians call themselves 'non-physicians'? Of course not - they define themselves by who they *are*.

So then, what *are* you? A skeptic? A rationalist? A free-thinker? A humanist?

Let us know when you figure it out. There's no rush - you're still young and you don't have to stick with any label that you or anyone else pins on you.

That's cool Big Grin I think secularist (one who asserts the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, as I understand) fits me best, but really all those are less offensive titles (except pastafarian). Thanks for the reply, it's real cool!

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
[+] 1 user Likes guitarist's post
13-11-2013, 01:37 AM
I would not suggest faking it if you're already out. As time passes your sister and the rest of your family will likely grow to cope with the fact that you don't believe the same things they do. It is even possible that your sister may even become an atheist. There's no easy answer in this type of situation, this is the same type of situation that would arise if I definitively stated to my family that I was an atheist as well, which is why it is an open secret in my case. Good luck in dealing with it all, and hope you can find some solace in a shitty situation.