"I wonder, is it George Washington next week?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2017, 02:51 PM
RE: "I wonder, is it George Washington next week?"
Here's a graph of when the majority of Confederate statues were erected, during the Jim Crow and the rise of the KKK. These aren't historical markers. They're part of a political agenda. You'll also notice there is a slight rise during the 1960's when Martin Luther King Jr and those uppity black people were protesting. Most of those statues are politically motivated.

[Image: blog_confederate_monuments2.gif]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-08-2017, 02:52 PM
(17-08-2017 01:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 01:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I'm with the prez on this one. Washington was a slave holder; we should take down his statues, too. Also those of Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and the other 20-30 Founding Fathers who signed a document declaring "all men are created equal" while keeping their fellow men in bondage.

Is that what you remember them for? Me, I remember and honor Washington for holding a rabblearmy together, Jefferson for penning some eloquent words in defense of freedom even as he was hypicritical, Lincoln for his strength holding the Union together even as he was himself a racist.

I think, but am not sure, that in Jefferson's state of Virginia it was illegal to free your slaves. Perhaps it was illegal in other states, too, which certainly would have affected the ability to free slaves.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
17-08-2017, 02:55 PM
(17-08-2017 02:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's a graph of when the majority of Confederate statues were erected, during the Jim Crow and the rise of the KKK. These aren't historical markers. They're part of a political agenda. You'll also notice there is a slight rise during the 1960's when Martin Luther King Jr and those uppity black people were protesting. Most of those statues are politically motivated.

Can I ask where you got that graph? Consider

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
17-08-2017, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2017 03:03 PM by ClydeLee.)
(17-08-2017 02:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 01:39 PM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  Serious question. Can you tell me what (in your eyes) made Hillary such a terrible candidate?

She was the epitome of the slimy corrupt politician -- bought and sold by Wall Street, involved in numerous suspicious episodes (Whitewater, Clinton Foundation, Benghazi, the email fiasco, etc.) -- and not much more "liberal" than many of the Republicans. And regardless of what I personally think of her (I did, after all, vote for her, despite her faults, because I thought she was clearly better than Trump), she was hated by a large percentage of the American population. Is she really the best candidate the Democrats could find? For a career politician, she also turned out to be surprisingly inept as a campaigner -- neglecting to visit several important states (including mine, Wisconsin) which ultimately went to Trump by narrow margins, and publicly calling Trump's supporters "a basket of deplorables". Trump's campaign tactics and statements were equally bad, but at least he had the "advantage" (in many people's eyes) of not being a slimy corrupt politician (although the only one of those three words that didn't apply to him was the neutral one -- "politician"). The whole campaign reminded me of the kind of third-world elections that we like to make fun of. But I guess we can't do that anymore. Now they're laughing at us.
Is she really the best... who else CHOSE to run, how many candidates choose to themselves run. About 6 or 7 probably formally ran.

And only 1 of the 4 others known enough to be considered was actually a Democrat. Chaffee and Webb were recently GOP members and I don't get the angst at the party not supporting a former Mayor as the better democratic party candidate. And Sanders was a long time independent against the party in its form.

The Republicans group tried to vs Trump as well but after all people still don't see to get how attention is all that matters to successes. The talk of anything that was supposedly done to bear Bernie was that, I didn't give 2 shots about people going on with superdelegates because nothing matters beyond who is perceived winning after the first 3/4 primaries when super Tuesday hits. And it being more southern and low east coast voters that knew nothing about Sanders so it was a easy attention focus to just know Hillary won. That goes back to the 60s that every winner was already the delegate leader after the first 3/4 before the first super-tuesday. So as people mock the people, it's mainly the populous of Iowa and South Carolina that picks primary candidates. New Hampshire is often weird in their choice.

The only issue was there was no mass, not just media but countless regular people believing Sanders had a chance until about 2 weeks before Iowa the polls were tied.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-08-2017, 03:04 PM
(17-08-2017 02:55 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 02:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's a graph of when the majority of Confederate statues were erected, during the Jim Crow and the rise of the KKK. These aren't historical markers. They're part of a political agenda. You'll also notice there is a slight rise during the 1960's when Martin Luther King Jr and those uppity black people were protesting. Most of those statues are politically motivated.

Seen the same data but on a different graph form with dots and colors instead of those red lines

I think it distinguished what type or where the monuments/statues were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-08-2017, 03:08 PM
All of us have flaws and do things that are just wrong, as did Washington and Jefferson.

Not all of us defend our flaws or try to force them onto others, as did Robert. E. Lee..

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Here is a more detailed graph.

[Image: whoseheritage-timeline150_years_of_iconography.jpg]

Articles:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/718507/str...ights-eras

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...ts/479751/

And here is some more information from Southern Poverty Law Center

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/...e_splc.pdf

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
17-08-2017, 03:19 PM

The label says Southern Poverty Law Center...an image hosted by Mother Jones here:
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/20...e-statues/
17-08-2017, 03:22 PM
(17-08-2017 03:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  All of us have flaws and do things that are just wrong, as did Washington and Jefferson.

Not all of us defend our flaws or try to force them onto others, as did Robert. E. Lee..

Lee's case is a bit more complex than that, though. He didn't start the war, but when it started, he was forced to pick a side. He was a southerner and a slave owner, so it should be no surprise that he picked the side he did. The alternative would have been to fight against his own state and people. I don't think that qualifies him as "forcing his flaws on others". People are talking as if every actor in that drama was 100% hero or 100% villain. I think it was much more complicated than that. People had to make hard choices. I would not have wanted to be in Lee's shoes (or Lincoln's either).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-08-2017, 03:37 PM

I don't know for sure if that graph is accurate or not..but.....

You can look up civil war monuments and statues online. The one in Charlotte according public records was erected in the 1920s. As I mentioned in another thread, it stood by a courthouse. If that doesn't send a quiet message to people of color, who might be jailed....I'm not sure what does. Just like seeing the confederate flag, or other symbols of civil war on state buildings.

I should explain I've read more about civil war than ANY other war. I was completely fascinated by it for as long as I could recall. I've got more books on that subject and the reconstruction years than I could admit. One was a coffee-table book on civil war statues and when they were commissioned (sometimes including when they were commissioned by). I do recall as I flipped through the glossy photos being somewhat surprised at the volume of statues put up during the early 20th century.

I actually wish I did still have that book, maybe I do somewhere, because I'd love to look up who financed the projects...Because that's just the kind of shit I do when I'm bored.

There were also many schools that were named after civil war leaders. Including schools named for Jefferson Davis. In Louisiana, there was a Jefferson Davis Elementary School that was renamed to honor New Orleans first black mayor (his name right now escapes me). Some states celebrated his (Jefferson Davis) birthday as a public holiday!

Robert E Lee was patently against any statues being erected in his honor or his name used for anything. That didn't stop it from happening anyway. There are many roads and bridges named for him...Of course there's Arlington, which he owned.

Honestly my only reason for ever wanting to visit the south would be for the civil war stuff.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post