I would like to debate someone about whether or not God exist
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2015 11:40 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
I would like to debate someone about whether or not God exist
If you are interested, send me a PM to hammer out the nature and scope of the debate. Keep in mind there are certain people here I won't debate because I think they are morons or assholes. Also I'm not interested in religion....just God.
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: I would like to debate someone about whether or not God exist
Check out the debate between Gabriel & EvolutionKills from May of this year, as this is exactly the same topic. It is notable that that debate never got off the ground, even into multiple pages of posts. It was impossible to obtain a meaningful definition of god to base the debate on. The identical problem would hobble this proposed debate.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
31-07-2015, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 12:14 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(30-07-2015 11:55 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Check out the debate between Gabriel & EvolutionKills from May of this year, as this is exactly the same topic. It is notable that that debate never got off the ground, even into multiple pages of posts. It was impossible to obtain a meaningful definition of god to base the debate on. The identical problem would hobble this proposed debate.

One format I have been thinking about is just discussing why I think God exists and see if my debate opponent could poke holes in it. That kind of debate wouldn't be hobbled by not having a meaningful definition of God. It would be solely my conception of God that we would be debating.

Also I wouldn't debate EvolutionKills.
31-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Why don't you lay out your concept and see if there are any takers?
31-07-2015, 12:20 AM
(31-07-2015 12:16 AM)pablo Wrote:  Why don't you lay out your concept and see if there are any takers?

A non-local intelligent creator(s) that made and maintains my observable reality.
31-07-2015, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 01:14 AM by DLJ.)
(31-07-2015 12:20 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 12:16 AM)pablo Wrote:  Why don't you lay out your concept and see if there are any takers?

A non-local intelligent creator(s) that made and maintains my observable reality.

Cool. I'd be interested in seeing your evidence for that

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be an adolescent alien with a Sim game (and hormone issues).

Nudge me when you find a debate partner and do the referee thing.

Good luck.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
31-07-2015, 12:43 AM
(31-07-2015 12:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I just hope it doesn't turn to be an adolescent alien with a Sim game (and hormone issues).

My conception of God could be just that. I'm pretty open on the possible nature of God. It is one thing to come to the conclusion that we are the product of intellect and another to come a conclusion about the nature of that intellect that created us.
31-07-2015, 12:56 AM
(31-07-2015 12:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ... That kind of debate wouldn't be hobbled by not having a meaningful definition of God. ...

No, it wouldn't be merely hobbled, it would be fatally crippled by not having a meaningful definition. You can't prove the existence of something you haven't bothered to define first.

"I'd like to prove that gfdredfgh exists."

"OK. What's gfdredfgh?"

"That's not important."

"Well, it is important. Otherwise you might inadvertently prove rdfscvbxcb exists instead of gfdredfgh and never realize the error."

"Don't worry, I know the difference."

"And that is ... ?"

"That's not important."

... and so on ad nauseum
[+] 10 users Like Airportkid's post
31-07-2015, 01:06 AM
(31-07-2015 12:56 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 12:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ... That kind of debate wouldn't be hobbled by not having a meaningful definition of God. ...

No, it wouldn't be merely hobbled, it would be fatally crippled by not having a meaningful definition. You can't prove the existence of something you haven't bothered to define first.

"I'd like to prove that gfdredfgh exists."

"OK. What's gfdredfgh?"

"That's not important."

"Well, it is important. Otherwise you might inadvertently prove rdfscvbxcb exists instead of gfdredfgh and never realize the error."

"Don't worry, I know the difference."

"And that is ... ?"

"That's not important."

... and so on ad nauseum

I don't pretend to have definitive proof that God exists. However there are very good reasons based on observations of the real world to suggest that he does exist.

Also we discuss non defined things all the time. They say at the center of a black hole is a singularity but singularity doesn't have a meaningful definition. I'm sure it is possible to have an interesting discussion with someone about whether or not God exist without agreeing on a very specific definition.
31-07-2015, 01:23 AM
(31-07-2015 12:43 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
My conception of God could be just that.

(31-07-2015 01:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
I'm sure it is possible to have an interesting discussion with someone about whether or not God exist

So which of those two positions would you be debating?

I'd be happy to concede right now that your concept of God exists.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
Thread Closed